PDA

View Full Version : RT142 Corona Turbo

DCOE4AGE
17th October 2012, 09:41 PM
27250Hi Everyone, Its my first car i have posted on here but i thought it is time!

I joined this forum when i bought my first ae86 about 5 or 6 years ago, some of you may remeber it,
It was white, had a 18rg fuel injected engine in it, it was different!

I sold it and i last i remeber it had a Trueno front fitted to it then a CA18 in it, then an SR?? If anyone knows id
Love to hear haha, i think it was the only Sprinter in aus with a 18rg in it possibly??

Anyway, Current Car is a corona. I bought it dead stock off a friend from work, I toy around with welding and
fab like alot of you guys do thought id have a crack at a turbo!

I Plan to fit a lsd and have some 15x8 rims ordered for it, i love the shape, I love reading Marv's blog, gives
me inspiration for my build, good looks,,,,,hopefully!

Specs are
*1986 Rt142 Corona

Engine
*Factory 22re engine
*T25 off a 180sx (was told type x but unsure)
*R32 GTST Aluminum twin core radiator
*Braided lines
*2x10 inch thermos
*600x300 intercooler with aluminum pipe work
*Steam pipe log manifold
*3 inch stainless exhaust to cat, stock cat back (not for long)
*Adjustable FPR
*D40 Navara 4.0L fuel pump
*Apexi AFC (not wired up yet)

Driveline
*Stock w55
*Heavy Duty Clutch
*Stock Diff (want to change Ratio, anyone have a lsd?)

Suspension
*Front Struts sleeved
*Front Mr2 KYB AGX 4 way adj shocks
*Front 8kg Spring
*Rear Koni Reds
*Patrol springs (cut)

Wheels/tyres
*Rota Shakotans 15x8 offset 0
*195/55/15 tyres
*rear 25mm bolt on spacer

Anyway here are some pics, ill add more details as i go!

Here are a couple of build photos, it has a loong way to go my friends!
Manifold, its not perfect, but i love it, it works.
3 inch stainless dump, took aprox 35 hours labour to make in spare time.
Dump pipe.

Its a tight fit but just a challenge, more to come!

joeschmo_57
17th October 2012, 10:06 PM
About time someone truboed the RE. I'm sick of hearing people say "Oh yeah, i think i will just put an SR in and be done with it. I don't know if the stock engine can handle it."

Good work man. How does it drive? Any shots of it a a whole?

DCOE4AGE
17th October 2012, 10:24 PM
About time someone truboed the RE. I'm sick of hearing people say "Oh yeah, i think i will just put an SR in and be done with it. I don't know if the stock engine can handle it."

Good work man. How does it drive? Any shots of it a a whole?

I really liked the 18rg i had previously and im a fan or the R series engine, there great. I like Nissan, but an sr is not how i want this build to be.

It is running 7psi, straight wastegate, no boost controller, all i have done is upped the fuel pressure and a new fuel pump. It flys, 10 times better then before! Its still no complete missile but it is very suprising, the engine has 316000km on it, does not use oil or water and i boost it everywhere. Old Toyota's....need i say more? haha

I'll get full shots when i get my camera off my brother!

Ktas
18th October 2012, 03:36 AM
good to see another 22rte getting there...

mark's down here was win, stona kid is turboing his too i think

will be good to see some action shots/vids !

AJPS
18th October 2012, 04:51 AM
good to see another 22rte getting there...

mark's down here was win, stona kid is turboing his too i think

will be good to see some action shots/vids !

marks is now 422rwkw 2jz

stoner kid has his old 22re+t set up

good for over 200rwkw

Seventy
18th October 2012, 06:59 PM
Nice! Good to someone actually doing a 22r turbo, would be something I would like to do to my celica

Wagon86
30th October 2012, 12:01 AM
How did u up the fuel pressure. I had a turbo on my 22re for a day till the turbo blew. Was on 6 pound went good for just a shity ct20 turbo. Future plans is to Probs build one to handle more boost. Good luck in in rest of build

DCOE4AGE
31st October 2012, 07:46 AM
Some updated Pics.

Front Fitment, Need to roll guards to go lower

Rear Fitment, Again need to roll guards to go lower

DCOE4AGE
31st October 2012, 07:53 AM
How did u up the fuel pressure. I had a turbo on my 22re for a day till the turbo blew. Was on 6 pound went good for just a shity ct20 turbo. Future plans is to Probs build one to handle more boost. Good luck in in rest of build

Thanks Wagon86, at first was dodgy and just clamped return line to get it running quick, but now have a Adjustable FPR with a little gauge on it, i found it needed alot more fuel, until i had enough fuel it would backfire through the airbox and run poorly.
Keen to see some pics of your setup. Do you find the CT20 is to big or small for it? This is similar sized turbo to a T25?

Wagon86
31st October 2012, 08:24 AM
Oh yeah . I've got a malsappi rising rate fuel pressure thin from a previous project .might work. Umm I'd say that the t25 would be better. The ct20 is just a little to all. Spools quick but dies high revs. Probs gonna make an adapter plate to fit a t28.

DCOE4AGE
1st November 2012, 08:41 AM

Cut 1 coil out of rear springs, really want to get adjustable setup for rear.
Think an AJPS spring seat aduster is my option really.

Wagon86, your setup looks super neat! manifold looks really good.
out of curiosity where did you get your oil supply from for turbo?

Wagon86
1st November 2012, 09:02 AM
Cheers man yeah it's pretty high with the turbo and afm all there . I got the Oil from the oil sender light or whatever it's called. Down the bottom of the inlet side. And got a Teflon hose from pertek . Works well

Wagon86
1st November 2012, 09:04 AM
What state u in. And how did u connect up the water lines. Wondering cause the ct20 turbo is just oil cooled. And if I go t25 I'll need water lines

DCOE4AGE
15th November 2012, 02:38 PM
What state u in. And how did u connect up the water lines. Wondering cause the ct20 turbo is just oil cooled. And if I go t25 I'll need water lines

Hey mate, Im in NSW, I got my water source for the turbo from the lines to the heater core, i was going to just "tee" into them but the heater core was leaking so i just plumbed straight into them, ill get a pic for you, welded some staright pipe onto dash 4 JIC fittings to fit the lines, easy really.

Wagon86
15th November 2012, 03:09 PM
Sounds pretty easy to do. I gotta replace my timing chain before I do any thing. Stupid plastic guide is broken.

DCOE4AGE
16th November 2012, 12:33 PM
Sounds pretty easy to do. I gotta replace my timing chain before I do any thing. Stupid plastic guide is broken.
Since replaced the rocker gasket and clean it up under there, was not the cleanest.

Was a Hose Barb i welded to a 90 degree JIC fitting for the braided lines, suprising how easy it was. If your keeping your Heater core, you could get 3 way barbs
From Auto one, easy too.

For a laugh!

Wagon86
16th November 2012, 01:25 PM
Cheers for the info and pics man . The more I look at this thread the more I want the turbo back on haha .

gaz20v
17th November 2012, 09:30 AM
oh man this is cool! i bet it has bags of torque!, love the cooler/rad setup (check my avatar:cool: )

DCOE4AGE
21st December 2012, 10:22 AM
Sorry been a while, been slow on progress.
Gaz20v, Mate nice looking setup, your ex manifold makes the bay look ace!
3rd gear is the torque making gear haha loves it!
Here you can see the 3 inch i had from the turbo to the cat, then stock to the back. I always planned to continue the 3 inch but wanted to get it running at the time. Next to it is a 3 inch catback from a Eitsubishi Eclipse (cue fast and furious quotes) I got from ebay, since nothing off the shelf is available, I decided to mod a system then buy all the mufflers/resonators/piping/flanges etc.
So i cut it all up and began the jigsaw. I ended up with a 3 inch cat and managed to fit 2 resonators, i started the car with no resonators then fitted the resonators, wow they make a huge noise difference, smoothed out the sound if that makes sense.
I made a muffler quickly until i find the muffler i have in mind. Its 3 inch in and out as well. As for power, massive difference, you all know what a decent exhaust does for a turbo, goes great.
While i was at it i dropped the tank and threw in a new pump from a Nissan Navara. No cutout in the boot to remove the pump :(

Stay tuned, this is coming soon!
Thanks for looking!

Wagon86
21st December 2012, 07:41 PM
Nice work man. U got the irs model. F serise diff. Think there is lsd for them ma61 supra . But heard thats there pretty bad. Just weld it hahah :D

Konakid
22nd December 2012, 11:37 AM
System looks super neat man nice.

Assailant
13th March 2013, 08:42 AM
Unreal build... Loving it!

marvis
14th March 2013, 02:15 PM
This is awesome, IRS too.

Just not a fan of the wheels!

DCOE4AGE
14th March 2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks Guys, i am keen on buying another set off used wheels Marvis, when something pops up down the track, but happy with these at the moment.

Purchased a 4.56 cw&p and a lockright centre for it, waiting on arrival of them, Ill post some pics when they turn up, want to really enjoy some skidpan etc.

I managed to modify some r33 coilovers to fit in, damper and spring complete to the rear, works well, really stiff now, turns far better.
When i get near the car ill get pics ;)

troublesome_7
18th March 2013, 12:13 AM
Dude I love the ride Rona's are the Shiz! I'm On my 5th Rona now... You've inspired me to put a members thread up! My car is pretty much the same as yours, though solid rear end. Check it out, we should go for a cruise some time.

Btw here is some Inspiration - Gotta get those window shields made out of Aluminium :D

DCOE4AGE
30th March 2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks for kind words.
Not to much lately happening, Pulled the diff out ready for some goodies, clean in there.

After much searching i found a set of factory turbo injectors, wanted to put something different in there, but they are a very low 1.7ohms which gives little options. They are 300cc.

Heres some pics of the R33 coilovers fitted

Another pic of the car, yet to roll the gaurds to go lower.
More to come.......

Thanks for looking!

troublesome_7
31st March 2013, 02:19 PM
I can't believe you still have the standard diff. What a piece of shit it is!

People on these forums say that a r31 centre is interchangable? I spoke to Con from diff Technics and he told me that its complete bullshit and the centres can't be swapped, can you confirm?

Car is looking sick man, get those guards rolled and sack it!

troublesome_7
31st March 2013, 02:35 PM
Just realised yours is IRs..

CHESSEDUDE
9th May 2013, 11:35 PM
Can't see any of your pics / for the R33 rear suspension swap.. How did you do it?? Brushes and all that the same?
Will stock R33 rear struts fit you reckon? I wouldn't mind giving it a go on the cheap to get the feel first..

Konakid
10th May 2013, 07:25 PM
I wouldnt go any shorter than 4.1 in the diff ratio unless you are revving it to 6500 plus which is not advised. im going from 4.1 to 3.7 in mine and it should be perfect. 4.11 is way short. Im not revving it past 6000

Wagon86
10th May 2013, 08:07 PM
What is the red line for the 22re. I dont go past 4500rpm

Konakid
10th May 2013, 08:18 PM
6000 factory. They (and mine) stopped making more power past 5500.

I would highly recommmend staying 3.9 or below

Assailant
19th June 2013, 10:19 AM
Any new progress on this beast?