PDA

View Full Version : Awards Won By The Toyota 86

Matt
18th October 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm sure there will be a stack of these awards won and i'll update this thread as the information comes through...

Scottland - Best Coupe 2012

The association of Scottish motoring Writers have voted the GT 86 the best coupe for 2012 as it is the most exciting car in its segment.

How many more awards would we expect it or the Subaru BRZ to earn? My thoughts are allot!

Matt
29th November 2012, 06:04 PM
Drive.com.au has voted the GT86 best car under $60,000 for 2012.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/car-of-the-year/drive-car-of-the-year-toyota-86-gt-20121126-2a2tj.html

Its all well and good to announce awards for new cars, but a quick summarisation as to how this award was given...

* More than 1000 cars where driven over a 12 month period by the judges
* 39 Cars where categorised into categories
* A panel of well respected judges in Australia was assembled to judge the cars
* 5 Days of Driving / Testing over the following conditions was performed
- Race Track (Slalom, high speed cornering, and extreme braking - use of the ABS)
- Suburban Driving (school zones, pot holes, traffic lights etc)
- Highway driving

The following determined the points awarded for each test

* Expected vs received outcome
* Comfort during tests
* Features of the car
* Performance of driveline , suspension

6 of the 9 judges agreed that the Toyota 86 deserved to win the Prestigeous category of best car under $60,000. Talk about punching above your weight.

Toyota also had the Hybrid camry was also a finalist.

I'm sure a different outcome on this award would have been reached if the judges took in the lead times to get one of the cars, but that could be considered somewhat unfair as its really a car that sells itself and no body is surprised that it won this award.

Congratulations Toyota!

There are no surprises there , though the judging was done over a grueling 5 days consisting of highway driving, low speed school zones, regular suburban driving, traffic lights and a rack track environment.

Congratulations Toyota on achieving the highest accolade that drive.com.au has to offer.

Matt
9th December 2012, 03:52 PM
Top Gear have voted the 86 car of the year as well...

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/toyota-86-is-top-gear-uk-magazine-s-car-of-the-year

Oliver Marriage conceeded that whilst the 86 was much slower than its exotic counterparts, he found it more enjoyable to drive. Keep in mind this was declared the outright winner, not best car under 60k like the drive one.

Looks like many more awards are comming!

Vance
10th December 2012, 02:41 PM
i have that august issue of topgear magazine. its what made me go buy one

Matt
18th December 2012, 01:44 PM
In the 50th Anniversary year, Wheels have treated the BRZ and 86 as one car and voted them both to be the 2012 Car of the year!

Many more accolades are being judged world wide!

Congratulations again Toyota!

sundee
18th December 2012, 06:12 PM
With the others are they referring to the Toyota variant only, and was the BZR or whatever included in the testing against the 86?
If so that would make me very happy

Matt
18th December 2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah the drive one was subaru vs Toyota 86 as separate cars