PDA

View Full Version : Stuck + Broken bolts on Longchamps

dogan
6th November 2012, 08:57 PM
I've just bought a set of longchamps, as always they needed a goooood clean up. I've taken off nearly all of the bolts except the few that snapped off..
Now I'm having heaps of trouble trying to push these bolts out.

Any tips?

john84ie
6th November 2012, 09:06 PM
Drill them out

Jip86
7th November 2012, 02:11 PM
i had the same problem with mine, i let em soak in wd40 and wailed on them with a hammer/punch.

the problem is the aluminium of the centre corrodes alittle bit and seizes the bolts in.

dogan
7th November 2012, 08:50 PM
I've tried the wd a few times already, Not one of the bolts have budged. How much effort did smacking them out with a hammer take?

Damn, I'm not looking forward to drilling them all out..

s13 james
7th November 2012, 09:03 PM
qaulity center punch and a decent wack should get them out,i have done it a couple times,last time i did it 2 a pair of mk3's, i had to do all bolts on both wheels,dont get the punch stuck in the hole thow,thatd be lots of fun

sundee
7th November 2012, 09:49 PM
I find using heat is the best way to get out a seized bolt.
butain torch for a minute around the outside, but not touching the bolt, the straight out.

If you can put a notch in the end of the bolt, you should be Able to get a flat blade on it and with some heat it should easily come out.

Sam-Q
8th November 2012, 08:58 AM
what sort of bolts do you have in them? pics?

Jip86
8th November 2012, 02:19 PM
from memory i polished off a 6 pack while i was wailing on them pretty hard.

i did end up drilling one or two out.

dogan
10th November 2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, got them all out.
I soaked them in some inox lubricant overnight. Inox and a properly fitting punch with repeated light taps and they're all out.

Sam I wouldn't have a clue what bolts these are but here's a pic of what came out :)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/6/2/0/6/406461.jpg