PDA

View Full Version : Oil For My gt86

pizzaeater
11th December 2012, 06:04 AM
I have just had my 1000km service and I am annoyed that my dealer didn't change the oil.

I am worried about all of the metal filings that would have come off the bores during the run in process being thrown around and damaging the bores on my engine. I didn't wait 3 and a bit months for delivery of my car not to treat it right and give it the respect it deserves.

I have decided to change the oil myself and need to know which one to use? I have a bottle of Royal Purple 20w50 and was thinking of using this, but am worried it might be a little too thick for such a new engine.

What does Toyota recommend to run in the 86?

I am also thinking of putting on a TRD filter, does any one know the part number for these or if you can still buy them from Toyota?

FoldKing86
11th December 2012, 09:08 AM
Yes 20-50 will be too thick

people have suggested 0-20 or 0-30 should be fine.

personally i would just buy plain old 5-30 mineral oil from Toyota and use this till next change.

As for filters, well no need for the TRD, just a normal Toyota filter will suffice.

rthy
11th December 2012, 10:15 AM
Isn't the 1000km just an inspection?

jakel
11th December 2012, 11:40 AM
The 1000km service is only an inspection an oil change is not part of it, its a free service what do you expect? I would go to toyota and ask them for the oil they would use in it, it will probably be about 15w40 oil from caltex otherwise you can go to the parts dep and get some of the genuine oil.

The oil doesn't need changing at 1000km service, don't you think toyota would have put it as part of the first service if they thought it would NEED doing which is what I tell people if they do ask for it to be done, but hey if you want to waste your money I really don't care.

Matt
11th December 2012, 12:01 PM
As above I wouldn't bother changing the oil at the 1000km service.

rthy
11th December 2012, 12:04 PM
also might void warranty (unless you are a qualified mechanic)

New and used vehicle servicing

In relation to general servicing, motor vehicle dealers are entitled to insist that any servicing performed on cars they sell is carried out by qualified staff, according to the manufacturers’ specifications, and using genuine or appropriate quality parts where required. Provided these conditions are met, regardless of where you choose to get your car serviced, your warranty will remain intact. So shop smart and shop around.

jakel
11th December 2012, 12:45 PM
also might void warranty (unless you are a qualified mechanic)

Yeah that too, I doubt it would void anything but if they find out and something you've done has caused it say good buy to warranty on that item.

Matt
11th December 2012, 05:57 PM
An oil change is a pretty simple task...whilst I'd skip the 1k oil change , I'm not a fan of the 15k service intervals allot of new cars have

sundee
11th December 2012, 07:12 PM
When does the manual specify the 1st oil change?

your engine comes semi ran in... imagine if it didn't, how many possibilities that could arise

haveaparty
11th December 2012, 07:55 PM
If ur really worried contact ur local Subaru technician. He will know what's best for the boxer donk.

sundee
11th December 2012, 11:19 PM
Best for the boxer? Just add sand, drive... Loose all oil press and comp and replace with a Toyota inline motor.
Done.

jakel
12th December 2012, 01:40 AM
Best for the boxer? Just add sand, drive... Loose all oil press and comp and replace with a Toyota inline motor.
Done.

This, haha.

But as I said before if Toyota thought that it would need an oil change at 1k they would put it as part of the service wouldn't they.

Matt
12th December 2012, 07:30 AM
Tell us what you really think Joel of the donk... I believe Toyota where only dipping their toes in the water with this one. There would be a road map / strategic reason behind it.

Willofan
12th December 2012, 07:38 AM
Gone are the days of using running in oil that needs to be changed at 1,000kms. The engine build process and materials now are so refined that it will not create any swarf or breakdown during the run in period. Read your Owners manual for clear instructions on running in.

The first scheduled service is at 15,000kms or 9 months when the oil and filter is changed. The book specifies 0W20 as the main or 5W30 which are both synthetic NOT mineral.

Toyota Service Advantage still covers all services up to 60,000kms or 3 years on the 86 and the capped price of $170 inc GST includes the synthetic grade of oil and genuine parts.

My tip, leave it alone till the car needs it and get the dealer to do it for you. $170 per service is the best value for each service that no one else can match.

pizzaeater
22nd December 2012, 10:10 PM
Done.

There is always one wanker, but thanks everyone else for the replies

jakel
22nd December 2012, 10:14 PM

No need to be so serious, haha.
Only a joke I would say, haha.

blake.
23rd December 2012, 02:11 PM
Gone are the days of using running in oil that needs to be changed at 1,000kms. The engine build process and materials now are so refined that it will not create any swarf or breakdown during the run in period. Read your Owners manual for clear instructions on running in.

The first scheduled service is at 15,000kms or 9 months when the oil and filter is changed. The book specifies 0W20 as the main or 5W30 which are both synthetic NOT mineral.

Toyota Service Advantage still covers all services up to 60,000kms or 3 years on the 86 and the capped price of $170 inc GST includes the synthetic grade of oil and genuine parts.

My tip, leave it alone till the car needs it and get the dealer to do it for you. $170 per service is the best value for each service that no one else can match.

This.

If your really worried do it at 7,500km.
I would be doing it every 10k tho.

sundee
23rd December 2012, 02:22 PM

Your only new to this forum buddy, attitudes like this are band pretty quick smart, I'd say if you can't hack some Aussie sarcasm and a dig here and there that's maybe you should head over to nissan Silvia, a lot of Internet warriors over there.

Here we like to have fun, we all get along, so just take a breath before you decide to post a reply like that again.

Matt
23rd December 2012, 03:20 PM
With the 15k service intervals there is a handful of things which assist in extending this out...

Larger capacity sump, better filtration setup and quality oils.

Personally I think part of the extended service is people usually don't keep cars until they do 400,000kms anymore, but for the average person who isn't going to keep the car 10 years it wouldn't matter.

ae8zn6
23rd December 2012, 06:09 PM
I happened to mention that 15k service intervals seemed long to the salesperson when I picked my car up and they told me that changing the oil/filter yourself mid-interval wouldn't void the warranty.

Im sure if you decided to use ridiculously thick mineral oil etc that wouldn't work your way though

Matt
24th December 2012, 07:29 AM
Holden have had 15k service intervals for close to a decade now. Does the or every 6 months caveat still apply?

blake.
24th December 2012, 08:51 AM
Vw has 15k/12 month intervals too, they can do this due to the high quality of oil.
A crafter on the other hand has 30k/12 month intervals as it has the same oil but 9L of it.

We get cars in which go 20-25k between services and never have had a problem with them.

So if you intend on leaving your 86 standerd, as in no major mods like turbos, go to Toyota and get the genuine oil for it. Toyota and Subaru would have invested thousands of dollars to manufacture the perfect oil for it. Don't let anybody mislead you and say its shit.

ae8zn6
24th December 2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah all good, on the other hand my missus my09 liberty gt spec b had a service interval of 12.5k, without my knowledge she was servicing it closer to 15k and it spun a big end bearing before 100,000 :(

She doesn't drive it hard either.

So whilst I realise the warranty will still cover me, I would prefer not to damage the motor if there are some skid pan sessions + super sprints and motorkhana in that first 15k.

Matt
24th December 2012, 10:34 AM
Subaru is renowned for spinning bearings if the oil gets low...

Jimmee1990
24th December 2012, 02:33 PM
Easy solution, check your oil every now and then like you should be doing anyway.

sundee
24th December 2012, 02:39 PM
Regardless of the oil that is in the engine, letting it go over 10K is a sin on my books.
Regular services at 7-8K, even when using a good oil, I can notice an engine becoming noisier and "restricted" via friction as it gets up to 10k old.
I believe regular doses of clean, fresh oil provide the least expensive maintenance an owner can give an engine.
In aircraft horizontally opposed engines (boxer) the oil and filter is changed every 50hrs.

jakel
29th December 2012, 05:55 PM
I do my landcruiser every 2.5k but oil is free so yeah, haha. Do my old mans camry every 5k.

Also make sure you ask what oil they're using because I know a dealership that I may or may not work at that only uses 10w30 in everything now that is designed for the VVTI engines not that it will probably matter in the 86 but they get old land cruisers in sometimes and just get told to use that oil, I use oil from hino for the diesel trucks in my cruiser so its good.

sundee
29th December 2012, 11:26 PM
And that's the problem with workshops... They will generally have 44's or whatever filled with eg. A 10w40 and they will use that in every engine, even if The manufacturer specs different.
For them it's about cost, not what your engine actually needs.

jakel
30th December 2012, 12:42 AM
This one has huge tanks 2 of them full, it is good oil and most of the new diesels to specify a very similar grade oil so I suppose its not too bad. You can still always buy the bottles of oil from a Toyota parts department but would probably be at your cost because of the capped price servicing.

gg004
30th December 2012, 10:29 AM
And that's the problem with workshops... They will generally have 44's or whatever filled with eg. A 10w40 and they will use that in every engine, even if The manufacturer specs different.
For them it's about cost, not what your engine actually needs.

not all workshops do that, just the small backyarder type operations would do that. where i work we have to stock a huge range of different oils so we use the correct grade of oil required by whatever vehicle it may be, otherwise it will upset warrantys ect if something were to go wrong and it came back to us putting in the wrong oil or oil grade. you wont upset your factory warranty by having serviced by non dealer mechanics, but they must use the correct grade of oil and folllow the log book service guide. i am suprised about the other comments refering to a toyota dealer throwing the wrong oil in cars, how would they sort out warranty hassles if something went wrong and it came back to them putting in the wrong oil?

jakel
30th December 2012, 11:58 AM
Yeah this place is the biggest toyota dealer in Australia too so...