PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust for my Toyota 86 - Will i need to change it again if i turbo it?

sprinter666
17th December 2012, 08:31 AM
Hey, Sam

i saw that with the gt86 there was a 20kw gain over stock merely with an exhaust system im wondering if u can explain exhausts, their properties and how they work with turbo'd and NA cars, the differences, also if u have an NA car with a good exhaust if u turbo that car will u need to reupgrade ec just wanna know everything exhaust related!

also, keen for that bbq so u can make my ears bleed haha ill hit u up next time i have one :P

Matt
17th December 2012, 09:52 AM
On bens Gt86 aka the haltech build, it was an exhaust + ecu installation that saw the 20kw gain...

NA cars rely on a larger amount of backpressure to help make power where as turbo cars don't need as much. 2 1/2" pipes are quite common on 4cycl NA cars, where as 3" and larger on the turbo equiv.

The induction system on the new 86's is quite restrictive and a nice intake / less restrictive air filter yields good results.

sprinter666
17th December 2012, 11:39 AM
ahhh sweet ok :)

lolwat
17th December 2012, 01:45 PM
smaller on NA keep the flow up, too big the gases slow down, and start to tumble
turbo flows a lot more, thus needing big size