PDA

View Full Version : Engineering an SR20DET in AE86 in VIC.

bergs86
10th January 2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys,

Hope I've posted this in the right section.

I am looking to drop an sr20det into an ae86.

Is it engineerable? Vic Roads give you much hassle?

Wanting to hear from people who have done this before, or similar ie. into ke70/ae71

Any information is appreciated

Thanks
Luke

ae86
10th January 2013, 03:32 PM
as far as i know an engineers cert in vic is only valid for 30 days ?
if this is correct not worth the hassle imo unless your happy with just tracking it once you get done

KurtHS
10th January 2013, 07:23 PM
Nah Dave once a car is engineered its engineered forever. If you change or add parts though they aren't 'engineered' per se although you can get away with it. You could engineer a car for 15x8 wheels which means you can have any 15x8's.

nelpd96|
10th January 2013, 07:43 PM
VIC uses the NCOP as the guideline so the SR20DET will be fine. The 30 day limit on the engineering report just means that you have to get it registered within 30 days of getting it done. Just the same as a RWC in most states.

Cheers
Paul

rthy
10th January 2013, 08:30 PM
id check with the mob who u will be getting the rwc from to confirm if they will pass it

bergs86
11th January 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for that Paul. Just have a mate offering me his sr20det package outta a ke70 and it's too good to pass up.
Just need to speak to engineer and see how much its gunna cost to engineer it.

Mmm good point rthy. I had a Mazda 1300 13bt and no one wanted to go near it for RWC but I think a piston motor will be fine.

Hen may possibly be a nut
12th January 2013, 01:02 AM
- Find engineers list on Vicroads website
- Ring and discuss your plans
- Get advice and do as they suggest

Shouldn't be too hard, but can be time consuming and expensive depending on what the particular engineer wants to see of upgrades and tests.

TRolla86
12th March 2013, 07:49 PM
how's this all panned out be interested to know if it was done and who engineered it :) ?

checkers
23rd June 2013, 12:38 PM
I engineered mine after I got pinged for it having a 4age but same process. There are only a few on the VASS list which do 4 cyl modded cars, most do trucks.
Pretty much it just went through brake testing and noise testing with few other meager tests. Only took a couple days and $.