PDA

View Full Version : Toe in and caster for drift setup

adamdib
21st January 2013, 07:58 PM
Any one know what toe in and caster should run for drift set up thanks

Jimmee1990
21st January 2013, 09:26 PM
Everyone will have different setups for different driving styles, comes down to personal preference. I use 4.5 degrees of castor, 1mm total toe in and 3 degrees negative camber and find that works for me. Go out driving and change the amount of castor/toe/camber you have and see how it feels.

85Kai
21st January 2013, 09:54 PM
In Japan, my car ran 0 toe but some guys ran toe out. As James said, everyone will have a different set up. It's all about testing to see what suits your driving.

matt99
21st January 2013, 10:43 PM
Never heard of anyone running toe in up front on a drift set up, I run 2mm total toe out. 6.4 degrees caster, -3.5 degrees camber.

Sprinter86
21st January 2013, 11:37 PM
Also never heard of toe in being used for drift setup. I run 7.5 deg castor, 4deg camber and 4mm toe out.

Jimmee1990
22nd January 2013, 08:39 AM
I'm still using p/s arms, so a little bit of toe in I find helps when i'm closer to full lock and getting rid of some of the toe out from the ackerman angle if that makes sense? My car is a daily though.

Rice86
22nd January 2013, 12:45 PM
toe out helps with quick steering correction, good for learners, but 0 toe is overall a better feel as its not twitchy when you straighten up..again personal preferences.

camber is camber, set it to make the most use of your tyres

Caster helps with counter steer/centering your steering.

its a lot more technical then stated above but that's a basic run down of how it can help you with drifting.

as said, best to go drift and play with settings to see how it matches to your driving style. There is just no one magic wheel alignment setting otherwise i'll be too easy lol

Sprinter86
22nd January 2013, 03:06 PM
damn, i have learner toe!! :(

jakel
22nd January 2013, 03:53 PM
I used to run 3mm toe out, 3 deg camber and 2.5deg castor but that's all I could get out of my std castor bars, only did wheel alignment once and then never touched it, ran up ripple strips and found a bent tie rod end when I pulled car apart so who knows what it was at, but still felt good to drive.

Not sure what to run with new setup but as said I'll have to just change it around, I think someone on here said he changes things at track a little like half a turn on tie rods and whatnot and then bring it in for wheel alignment and see what the settings are.

Obviously have to have a base setting but go from there.

benzo
22nd January 2013, 04:08 PM
-2.6 degrees camber
2mm toe out
3.5 degrees castor. max'd out RT142 rods

sam92
22nd January 2013, 05:36 PM
Same^^^ running slightly less camber though

Konakid
22nd January 2013, 07:52 PM
You need to read up and understand what changing certain settings will do to your cars behaviour, there should be alot of info on the net about it but make sure you research more than one source.

Generally speaking;

Toe out up front will make the steering more darty as the inside wheel is already pointing very slightly in the direction you are turning and give it better/quicker turn in while toe in will make the steering less lively and a bit dull and not want to go where you turn it initially. This goes for the rear too but its not adjustable on our cars so dont worry about it. Ive been told by a few people that its not good to run 0 toe, better to run either slightly out or in, can't remember why though, maybe something to do with predictability?

More positive castor will make the steering heavier, self centre more easily when you have wound lock on and give you more camber as you turn into a corner on the outside wheel. More castor the better up to a point so maxing out the stock rods with new bushes is a good start. If you want more you can go adjustable castor rods but make sure you read up on why you need such parts dont just get them thinking it will make your car better!

marvis
22nd January 2013, 08:14 PM
^ This.

lolwat
22nd January 2013, 11:26 PM
normally dont set toe on 0 so it doesn't wonder when driving

caster, wheel alignment machine cant measure due to hitting guards(at work) 14's hitting front guards (trimmed)
toe, 3-4mm toe out
camber neg 4 degree's(no front sway bar)
0 ackermans, steering felt like a go kart(easy to turn until 1/4 of a turn either way and boom snaps across the road)

matt99
24th January 2013, 04:07 PM
toe out helps with quick steering correction, good for learners, but 0 toe is overall a better feel as its not twitchy when you straighten up..again personal preferences.

damn, i have learner toe!! :(

SH1T, me too.

lolwat
24th January 2013, 06:20 PM
toe in actual help correction, why i do it on rear of most w/a s i do

adamdib
24th January 2013, 08:35 PM
thanks boys what do they use to get more steering out of the car do u have to use a custom steering rack

AJPS
24th January 2013, 08:39 PM
no

are you driving it on the road or the track?

what is the main use of the car?

lock spacer is a start

then shorter knuckles

pm me