PDA

View Full Version : removing coil resistor

sundee
18th June 2009, 05:48 PM
ive decided to use the stock JDM bigport ECU and loom when puting my 4ag into my ke70

in the smash the coil/ignitor were damaged and the little resistor block was broken aswell.

i have a brand new coil in the garage but it is the type "use without resistor"
ive had a look at the wiring diagram and i cant see an issue with removing the resistor, joining its 2 wires together and run the coil that i have.

Nikkojoe
18th June 2009, 06:45 PM
There is no resistor when using a 4age ecu and loom. 4ac (carby) used a resistor and coil. The coils are not backwards compatible, and you must use an ignitor if it says "use with igniter" and visa versa.

*I am assuming what you call "resistor block" is actually the igniter.

Also if that is the case, you need the igniter still.

sundee
18th June 2009, 11:54 PM
oooookaaaaayy... hands down a dumb ass i am right now!.. confusion was that i didnt know that "use with resistor" which is what it says on the bosch coils. I didnt know the resistor was the ignitor.. all makes perfect sence now.. their is actually a small block that earths out on the coil bracket bolt that i thought was the resistor... hmm now i need to find out what that is so i can replace it.
anyone know that that small block is that im refering to?

thanks Nikko

Jonny Rochester
19th June 2009, 12:34 AM
I think you are getting mixed up between the ignition coil, igniter, resistor, capasitor.

Maybe google image these names to learn the part names?

The system will work without the resistor and the capasitor.

sundee
19th June 2009, 11:46 AM
I think you are getting mixed up between the ignition coil, igniter, resistor, capasitor.

Maybe google image these names to learn the part names?

The system will work without the resistor and the capasitor.

not getting mixed up jonny:

IGN Coil - the original cylindrical type canister/ hi tension coil , generates a charge to the dizzy.

Ignitor - Ignitor fires the ignition coil from the ecu signal

Resistor - something that puts load on a circuit.

capasitor - something that stores a constant energy. (ign coil)

ill just take a pic and show u what im talking about..