PDA

View Full Version : Dying waterpump?

ae86 slide
19th June 2009, 07:35 PM
I have heard a irregular ticking noise from my engine latley (ae101 gze), Tracked it down today to the waterpump. Is it on the way out?

Cheers, Jase

*urban_ninja*
19th June 2009, 07:38 PM
I would asume so there not that exy from toyota i don't think give them a call get a new pump thermo andnew water bypass pipe, better to go new and know it will stay cold and good and happy.

but thats my thoughts.

Nikkojoe
19th June 2009, 08:28 PM
Pull the belt off and remove pulley. The hub of the water pump should not have any play when you give it a shake, and should feel pretty firm (not loose) to rotate (ie if you try to spin it it will stop and not continue to spin). It should also be nice and smooth to rotate. If it fails these tests, replace asap (wont be long before leaking if it already isn't). A 4agze requires a standard 16V fwd water pump.

Jonny Rochester
20th June 2009, 01:13 AM
Take the belt off the motor, then start it and see if it has the noise.

It would be rare that a water pump ticks, so your problem is probably something else.

ae86 slide
20th June 2009, 09:14 AM
Hmm, good advice, will do that. Hopefully it isnt something more major. to find where it was coming from i put a long screw driver on different spots and put my ear on the end, it definatly seemed loudest from the waterpump area. Ill try the no belt thing anyway.

H8CHIR6KU
21st June 2009, 12:40 PM
if the water pump is "ticking" its possible the water pump pulley bolts have worked slightly loose. it only takes one or two and it will make a "ticking" noise as it rotates and slaps the water pump