PDA

View Full Version : Australias highest KMS on a Toyota 86 and issues experienced..

Matt
19th April 2013, 03:54 PM
Thought it'd be worth asking how many kms has your 86 done...

Highest i've seen so far is 23,4xx kms. And what issues have you encountered or what has been fixed under warranty?

The most common problem encountered so far seams to be the shitty tyres they installed on the rear and them wearing out prematurely. As seen in this service notice.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/3/4/9/507123.jpg

The check engine light issues reported in the first batches also appears to have been fixed by the ECU flash.

rthy
19th April 2013, 04:21 PM
The most common problem encountered so far seams to be the shitty tyres they installed on the rear and them wearing out prematurely. As seen in this service notice.
seems pretty normal to me

blair
19th April 2013, 06:25 PM
Of course, that problem wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that its RWD...

obvious troll is obvious...

Vance
19th April 2013, 08:25 PM
almost 11000kms. rear tyres will be worn soon as i will be drifting it on the track.

no issues so far apart from it being so easy to be broken into......

ae8zn6
19th April 2013, 11:49 PM
almost 11000kms. rear tyres will be worn soon as i will be drifting it on the track.

no issues so far apart from it being so easy to be broken into......

You have been broken in to?!? :S

I clocked over 14200km earlier tonight... I will do another 400 odd this weekend so I have my 15k service booked for next week.

Only issue I have had is that the GPS keeps loosing where it is, I figure the antenna must not have been installed correctly and am getting them to check it out.

pen15
20th April 2013, 09:52 AM
i have heard reports of rough idle after 18,000 due to intake ports clogging up from the direct injection

Willofan
20th April 2013, 12:39 PM
Everyone I have spoken to has moisture build up in the taillights after a few months.

Vance
20th April 2013, 03:15 PM
there are little holes in the tails to let the moisture out. depending on humidity of the area you may or may not have moisture build up.

that said if they were red and no one would notice......

my idle intermittently has a hesitation every now and again.idling at 600rpm isnt helping that though. i figured it's an ecu fault rather than mechanical. my ecu hsnt been flashed yet but will be done at first service.

pen15
20th April 2013, 04:50 PM
i believe a good way to fix the direct injection issue would be to run e85 as it burns alot cleaner

Jimmee1990
20th April 2013, 08:08 PM
How would the intake ports be clogged from direct injection if the fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber? I would think it would be the injectors wearing and needing a re-learn rather than a issue with build up.

SR_andy
22nd April 2013, 08:42 AM
The intake ports will clog up due to the fact the injectors are in the combustion chambers and not in the port, when its in the port the fuel itself is the cleaner but once you only have air through the port it clogs ups.... Pretty common on VW direct injection.....

Jimmee1990
22nd April 2013, 02:09 PM
If you only have air in the port and your getting a build up that's got nothing to do with direct injection or not, that's just poor egr or pcv control or somethings wrong with the air filter. I wonder how the Subaru upper engine cleaner would go with the direct injection?

Javal
22nd April 2013, 08:25 PM
The intake ports will clog up due to the fact the injectors are in the combustion chambers and not in the port, when its in the port the fuel itself is the cleaner but once you only have air through the port it clogs ups.... Pretty common on VW direct injection.....

If you only have air in the port and your getting a build up that's got nothing to do with direct injection or not, that's just poor egr or pcv control or somethings wrong with the air filter. I wonder how the Subaru upper engine cleaner would go with the direct injection?

Carbon buildup in the intake is not just common to VW DI engines, most manufacturers are experiencing this issue with 'first generation' DI motors.

I was going to post something like this last night but remembered that the 86 uses Toyotas D4-S system, which has direct AND port injection, port injection being introduced at higher RPM for better fuel atomization. This kind of reduces the chances that this is the cause of rough idling issues, however it does not eliminate them, as this issue can occur on port injection motors.

When i've dealt with this in the past on port injection vehicles that experienced intake carbon issues (esp carboned up valves) - normally vehicles with very low kilometers for their age - we've used subaru upper cylinder cleaner for 'minor' cases and a 'special blend' fed straight into the intake for heavier carbon problems.

dove grey 64
22nd April 2013, 11:10 PM
blend 43? cleans my ports like clockwork

ae8zn6
23rd April 2013, 09:21 AM
Or Metamucil?

Matt
23rd April 2013, 04:01 PM
I have also heard there isn't a way of bleeding off excessive fuel pressure with the direct port injection setup...

Javal
23rd April 2013, 09:29 PM
I have also heard there isn't a way of bleeding off excessive fuel pressure with the direct port injection setup...

Do you mean there's no way to bleed off residual fuel pressure? On the port injection side or the DI side?

You might need to rephrase that one.

Rule of thumb with DI systems - If you don't understand it, don't fuck with it.

Matt
24th April 2013, 06:07 PM
On the DI system. And agree with the comments if you don't understand it don't mess with it.

ae8zn6
28th April 2013, 12:24 PM
Only issue I have had is that the GPS keeps loosing where it is, I figure the antenna must not have been installed correctly and am getting them to check it out.

Issue fixed at service, system has not dropped out since.

Nikkojoe
10th May 2013, 02:41 AM
Issue fixed at service, system has not dropped out since.

Nice :)

Rear deck was clicking on my November built 86 - mainly under chassis load changes and the odd bump. Common issue solved by "adjusting" the spotwelds (by adjusting I mean prying/opening up the gap between a few key spot welds) under the rear deck (visible from inside the boot). After a lot of trial and error I finally found the one causing the clicking and can drive in silence :)

If you get a clicking/popping rear deck, Toyota/Subaru in Australia will use some wd40 between the welds which will wear off over time (not to mention will give you a strong odour inside the cabin). The process I mentioned is used by technicians in Japan ;)

pizzaeater
25th June 2013, 02:09 PM
I've found recently my rear parcel shelf has started to rattle and somewhere up under the dash. I have done 14,000kms on mine.

Nikkojoe
26th June 2013, 03:01 PM
My high mount (3rd brake light) started rattling on a rough road. Had to add some thin foam tape (left over from trd kit) between a joint in the brake light assembly. Also the keyless entry receiver on the parcel shelf rattles on most cars but I sorted mine out before it started.

Under dash ones are probably parts of the wiring harness rattling against the plastic (most of the time ones near the center stack/radio).

pizzaeater
26th June 2013, 03:34 PM
The rattle under my dash is coming from near the stereo, I am tempted to pull it apart but knowing me I will probably break something when pulling it apart.

I'll look at the central locking unit. Are rattles something that are covered under the new car warranty?

Other than that I've had no other problems

Nikkojoe
26th June 2013, 05:45 PM
There should be a service bulletin for the central locking receiver rattle but the other one in the radio area would require trial and error via dealer.

They are pretty simple to remove, all the trims around the head unit are just clipped on. This guide here (scroll down until you get to the head unit trim removal) should make things easy. Always disconnect the battery ;) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8336

Rear deck if you are keen http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10002

pizzaeater
16th July 2013, 05:28 PM
This morning on the way to work , the car started to run on 3 cylinders. Took it into the Toyota dealership at work and they replaced a coil pack.

Just got a call a minute ago, and they have replaced a coil pack which is covered under warranty

pizzaeater
17th September 2013, 06:55 PM
Noticed today that i'm dripping oil out of the cam plate onto the exhaust. It is worse after some spirited driving.

FT86club seams to recommend getting These (http://www.raceseng.com/cam-plate-2012-scion-fr-s-subaru-brz#review-form) to fix it.

Jimmee1990
17th September 2013, 09:35 PM
Cleaning and re-sealing wouldn't do the same job?