PDA

View Full Version : Paint Preperation Tips n Tricks

Matt
20th May 2013, 04:26 PM
This thread is for all those tips / links to videos about prepping a car for paint. Start a new thread for specific how do i fix this rust question.

haveaparty
21st May 2013, 10:54 AM
The more time u put into the prep work, the nicer the job will turn out. There is no way to short cut this process so don't try too

mcBen
21st May 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm painting the underbody of my car and I'm wondering what's the best way to get all the grease off, I don't really want to high pressure hose it because there are rust repairs and bare metal around that water will get into ..

haveaparty
21st May 2013, 07:38 PM
The easiest way is to high pressure blast it. First spray ur entire area in degreaser or diesel. Let it sit to loosen off all the shit and hose it off. Unless u want to get under it with a scrubbing brush and a bucket.

mcBen
21st May 2013, 07:51 PM
Unless u want to get under it with a scrubbing brush and a bucket.

Tried that but it sucks ass.. think Ill just high pressure and then put my car in a giant bag of rice

Ethan33
26th May 2013, 02:25 AM
pressure wash it, dry it out with compressed air...

Jrad
31st May 2013, 12:37 AM
General run-down of what is generally done in the industry/what used to be done. A lot of panel shops don't wet sand anymore. It gives a much better finish.

From bare metal:

Undercoat/primer
Light spray of black guide-coat
Wet sand 400 grit
Lightly wipe a rag with paint over sanded area.
Wet Sand 800 grit
Wipe with prepsol/cleaner, wipe off right away with a clean rag
Right before paint, rub all surfaces to be painted with a tack-rag.

haveaparty
31st May 2013, 10:54 AM
From bare metal. If no repairs are required. Then a coat of etch primer and paint straight over that is fine. If repairs then prime with gide coat.

mcBen
4th June 2013, 12:14 PM
Also my paint has some orange peeling. I was wondering if I did a wet sand with 1200 - 1500 grit would that take away the clear coat?

Sent from my LG-P990 using Motorculture mobile app

haveaparty
6th June 2013, 07:40 AM
Yes it will take away the clear coat. U will need to buff it up with a cutting compound followed by a polish. Orange peel is normal tho.