PDA

View Full Version : t18 compatibility

bigm
23rd June 2009, 05:38 PM
As some of u may know i pooned thr wall at QR last week. want to reshell
thinking a t18 may be an option.

I am just interested in the parts compatibility.

1. Can i use my x-member from my ke?

2. Steering rack vs Steering box? can they be changed over if needed?

3. Tailshaft - Will the length be the same, using the same gearbox position

4. Gearbox tunnel size?

anything else that might be an issue

thanks
Matt

shift_rook
23rd June 2009, 05:48 PM
if it's a ke70 then here is your answer

1. yes
2. yes, will need to change steering column to kesev item
3yes, just keep original t50 from t18 with your 4a bellhousing
4. they're a t50 so even if you change to ya kesev item it should be fine

Hen may possibly be a nut
23rd June 2009, 06:41 PM
What are/were you running in your KE?

2 - I don't think a rack conversion is quite that easy. Sure bolt in your crossmember and rack, but I think there is some work needed for a bearing in the firewall. I'm afraid I've never looked into it myself, but do some research before jumping in.

3 - Just keep an eye on the output shaft splines (Assuming you have a 4A+T50). Some T18 box splines match AE86 splines, others don't. Shouldn't be too much trouble though.

Hen

shift_rook
23rd June 2009, 06:43 PM
yeah output shafts on t-18 are differnet, just retain factory t-18 tailshaft and you won't have a problem

egg_83
23rd June 2009, 06:58 PM
rack conversion is quiet easy. iv done it to mine

sun_moon
23rd June 2009, 10:42 PM
a man by the name of Chris aka C1 (the GOD of te72) has done this conversion, although i am not sure of his contact details.

shift_rook
23rd June 2009, 10:48 PM
pm me if you want em, he helped me with mine, tohugh egg 86 has also done it so yeah i'm sure he can help you out, though it's pretty much bolt in....

bigm
24th June 2009, 11:01 AM
sorry for not fully explaining it

my KE 70 was running an SR and want to put that into the t18

but that sounds goood guys,

on another note, how does the hatch go for flex? it would be used for skids so what have people done to stiffen it up if need be?

thabjs

Golberg
24th June 2009, 08:59 PM
If it fits in a KE70 it fits in a T18. There are very few exceptions to this in the mechanicals department. A T18 is still an E7, shares exactly the same chassis as any AE71 or KE70.

egg_83
24th June 2009, 11:40 PM
sorry for not fully explaining it

my KE 70 was running an SR and want to put that into the t18

but that sounds goood guys,

on another note, how does the hatch go for flex? it would be used for skids so what have people done to stiffen it up if need be?

thabjs

Similar flex to a 86, Just use similar bracing to an 86. If you need to look at a rack conv you can take a peek at my crapper or pm me and ill send you my number, But as mentioned its quiet easy (but annoying if you get some wrong info:gah:)

Golberg
25th June 2009, 01:48 AM
No conversion will be needed to put rack and pinion in, just take the parts out of your KE70 including your cross member column and other bits and put it in the T18.

bigdaddykane
25th June 2009, 03:06 AM
No conversion will be needed to put rack and pinion in, just take the parts out of your KE70 including your cross member column and other bits and put it in the T18.

well i had to use celica bits??? maybe yours is made of hopes and dreams??

bigm
25th June 2009, 11:21 AM
If it fits in a KE70 it fits in a T18. There are very few exceptions to this in the mechanicals department. A T18 is still an E7, shares exactly the same chassis as any AE71 or KE70.

Thanks mate, the answer i was looking for.

Similar flex to a 86, Just use similar bracing to an 86. If you need to look at a rack conv you can take a peek at my crapper or pm me and ill send you my number, But as mentioned its quiet easy (but annoying if you get some wrong info:gah:)

if i do go through with it i will be in contact with u mate.

thanks all