PDA

View Full Version : pits

aus_86
23rd June 2009, 09:50 PM
hey guys,

i bought an ae86 from VIC, i want to know what else they will check apart from VIN and engine numbers? im lead to believe that they will check tyres and a quick visual inspection, is that so or will they want to go over the whole thing? im going to be taking it in with a 4agze, will i struggle with that?

cheers for the help!!

Dave
23rd June 2009, 10:00 PM
if its regency they'll check everything, best making it stock as possible :thumbup:

edit: if its a 4agze which hasn't been engineered or inspected before prior to engine swap (assuming thats what has been done) it'll be alot harder due to 4agze having more power. Im sure someone will dribble on about it. Also it can be a lengthy process getting it legal with the engine but more importantly expensive.

Fusion
23rd June 2009, 10:07 PM
If you need tyres with good tread, I have 4 CSX AE71 Stockys here with good tread that you can borrow for it. Thats about it though.

Only real concern is that they are painted matt black

aus_86
23rd June 2009, 10:22 PM
im have two ae86, so i have plenty of stock stuff laying around cheers anyway!!

crackett
23rd June 2009, 10:27 PM
Changing the rego over from one state to another is different to going to the pits for a defect. Just make sure your car is shiney clean. Not sure how the engine conversion will go though...

Tim.duncan
25th June 2009, 08:49 AM
The guys at the inspection place are not stupid and they know that 4agze are not ment to be in there. you will need to send away for a "aplication to modify" form from regency and they will send you back a list of the things you will need to be done to the car, including a engineres report. you will need to go threw the pits and a ID check. I have just been threw this process with a car that had come over from wa. if you need any more info ask away

MR. iNFMS
25th June 2009, 12:54 PM
yeah i brought an ae86 from vic with a na16v 4age and they said i have too go over the full pits due to it being twincam not the 4ac it originally came out with even though it was rego'd in vic with the 4age

aus_86
25th June 2009, 10:26 PM
so it's going to be to hard to put the 4ac back in, as i have only pulled out the one. that was in a hurry so i have no idea where the vaccum line etc go. how much will it cost to get it enginered?

crackett
25th June 2009, 10:42 PM
What's your other 86 like? If it's mildley stock, just take that one through regency with the VIC plates on, haha :P

aus_86
26th June 2009, 11:09 PM
its got coilovers, D2 rear struts and in the last stage of doing the RX-7 brake upgrade. has rims, im going to put a set of stock rims on that will hide the brakes. put the rear seats in and carpet the hatch! and have no idea what to do with the motor, i have heard i will get away with 4agze, 4age. or just try and put the 4AC back in!

Tim.duncan
27th June 2009, 11:40 AM
it depends, you need to send away for a aplication to modify, its they just want a enginers report for the motor that cost me 300 you may have to upgrade the brakes, i already had a disc rear end and upgraded fronts (which i also had to get a enginears report for... more money again)

aus_86
27th June 2009, 08:55 PM
this application, where does it come from? is it a seperate form for the brakes? do i have to get the rear brakes changed for disc rear end? im going to change the rear end anyway!

squish_m8
27th June 2009, 10:47 PM
it depends, you need to send away for a aplication to modify, its they just want a enginers report for the motor that cost me 300 you may have to upgrade the brakes, i already had a disc rear end and upgraded fronts (which i also had to get a enginears report for... more money again)

just out of curiousity who did you use for your engineering report?

Tim.duncan
27th June 2009, 11:32 PM
you ring regency and tell them what you want to do ie " i want to stick a hektic 4agze in bro!" and they will tell you what needs to be done. i already had a jap rear end in and modified fronts so they needed the enginears report to cover the brake conversion as well. i would imagin they would just want discs on the rear and you should be fine. call them and find out. just keep everything above board tell them everthing about your car and what you want to do to it. "you shal know the truth and the truth will set you free" do everything properly and dont cut corners and you will have no worries at regency

i went threw with a car that had no compliance plate at all and i told them the truth about it missing and they made the car go threw

i used tonkins enginering if you need to get a report pm me and i will tell you who to talk to

regency asked for a lane change and chassi regity test (these are expensive as they you need to book a race track and a regity machine thingy which = $$$) but the guy i used just wrote them a letter explaning how it was not necesery and regency were like "ok no worries" it seems hard and scary but you just need to jump threw all there hoops and you will have no worries

the rest of the car needs to be legal as well so spend the time making sure its all sweeet

aus_86
27th June 2009, 11:44 PM
yes i will give them a call and see how i want to do it. im a apprentice mechanic so as you know the wage is crap, so i dont have the $$$ to spend!! im still not sure what i want out of my motor! i have heard a few things that might not have been tried or if they have not been spoken about!

cheers guys this has help a hell of a lot!!!

buddyparts
28th June 2009, 08:07 PM
just take it through with the ze they are stupid

i have a r100 with 13b turbo all i did was clean the car paint the cooler black and it got through no problems its just an id inspection

aus_86
28th June 2009, 10:29 PM
yes i have heard that! im thinking i might just take the SC off just to be safe then bolt it on after.

bro86
9th July 2009, 08:47 AM
My mate has his 4agze engineered in S.A he had to do a few mods to get it thru hes just lucky he knows the engineeres and got it done fairly cheap tho.

aus_86
9th July 2009, 09:45 PM
who can i get a hold of, for the engineering? what other mods do they want for the motor to be done? brakes etc. im doing the rx7 brakes, will i need the rear? is it ture they wont engineer it with a aftermarket ECU?

aus_86
22nd August 2009, 08:31 PM
went to get my ae86 ID checked on monday just gone, didn't go to plain! 1st thing an injector started to leak on the way, so i got a defect. but to answer my question at the start of this. no you can't get an ae86 thought with even a 4age, they call it a highly moded motor! i just laghed at them! that would of got me defected also! the funnist thing is that i haven't got a heater core in it, so there isn't heater hose! they are pretty sure that you need a heater in the car! has anyone heard this B4? they dont really know whats what, fog lights they thought they where horns!

timmeh12
29th August 2009, 04:14 PM
yeah you need a heater cause you need to be able to de mist your windows or some shit.