PDA

View Full Version : Not so loud anymore RT104 Corona

PRP120
30th July 2013, 10:30 PM
Hi,

After many years of just reading threads on this forum I have decided to join and hopefully even help someone out. I thought I'd share my ride even though I don't own a sprinter/corolla but something even better(ha ha)

I inherited my klunker from my olds whom incidentally bought it a month before I was born and since then have done a mod or two over the past 20 years. If you live in SE QLD you might have seen me potter around from time to time and have shown it at the jamboree at times.

1976 RT104 Corona.

Originally worked the 18R-C to strangle 121 bhp (in 1996) as I like to be a little different(and do things the hard way) refused to go the 18RG.
Then I meet a bloke(whom is now a mate) who loved rotors and we built a 12A Peripheral port which we transplanted – Yes I love my steggals (242.9bhp and 414nm of torque @ 9250 rpm)
Yes before you question it - rotors have torque just doesn't idle under 2,500rpm, but if you know a good builder and spend wayyyy to much money on the good gear is very possible.(my avatar pic is that engine) This was in about 2002 this all happened. Now with new hoon laws and lakeside raceway not appreciating good quality high revving engines (not to mention LOUD) I am in the process of changing over to 12A turbo( nothing crazy, 250-300 at the treads). I’ve built the engine (just an extend port) but just running as N/A for moment due to a slight oversight. Rotary exhaust is opposite to the 18R and exits right where the steering box is. Had custom extractors made to overcome this for the PP but when I built my new exh manifold for the whistler, the steering box was removed at the time and I never gave it another thought while building the steampipe manifold.........until fitting..... hense why I lost my shite(after spending a small fortune and countless hours) and just went N/A for moment to get operational again.

One or two other mods -

Custom twin 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust to diff into 3 1/4 mandrel over diff to rear (with 3 hefty mufflers all stainless which still didn't help really)
Original T series diff(different crown wheels and pinions swapped about for ratios at times) with custom lock diff...ha ha ha (yes plated and welded) has held up surprisingly well but in process of sourcing 2 way at moment

ST141 disc brake rear end

RX 7(4 pot) calliper and peugot disc upgrade for front

Upgraded master cyl and proportioning valve
Customed cooling system (incl oil cooling)

Strengthened steel case celica 5 speed and a few corona 4 speeds still used for the strip (12.2 @ 118mph best) only need 3 gears

Custom 3 inch one piece tail shaft
Koni shocks and suspension mods(1 inch frt sway bar and ½ rear sway bar)

Numerous VDO gauges
Saas fixed back race seats
Direct clutch button clutch
Way too much Stereo crap which a fair bit been removed now(lost the stereo bug a fair time ago)
2 x bosch pumps, custom surge tank(boot mounted)1/2 inch deliver line & return.
3 piece ROH shadow chrome 16 inch alloys

And all the usual engine attachments, injection, intercooler, flowed 12A turbo(Hitachi / T03)

Plus more but wont bore you.

OHHH and still mustard gold with a little extra silver flick in paint.

If anyone interested in pics can post. There was a few pics floating around the net of it from years ago when i had the widened stocko's still on it.

Cheers for reading.

Pidgey
30th July 2013, 11:53 PM
Car sounds like a little weapon. You seem like one of those wise old dudes that can share a good yarn, I like those dudes. Let me know if you need a hand with your tinkering, us sunshine coast Toyota guys need to stick together.

KurtHS
31st July 2013, 01:12 PM
Definitely need to see some pictures! Sounds awesome!

PRP120
31st July 2013, 09:04 PM
I'll get some up next week, a few oldies n newies when i get back from work. Keen to start getting back into a few meets n drive days here on the coast and brisvegas. The car scene isn't a pinch on what it used to be unfortunately here on the coast and alot of wankers in mum n dads commo wrecking it for all. Hopefully back the week of powercruise though, have a lot of mates in tough rides heading down. What is your ride Pidgey? Sorry if i don't reply too. Internet a bit ordinary out at site and head off tomorrow morn.

PRP120
9th August 2013, 04:49 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/7/2/2/7/522754.jpghttp://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/513229.jpghttp://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/513230.jpg

A few quick pics I grabbed off F/B off the old girl. Get some better ones up soon. Just thought i'd show some to prove it does exist. The engine shot Is pre Turbo(due to the exh manifold issue) and before the tidy up. The intercooler shot is the old set up with sniper pipe - all changing now though.