PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Defect, your experience.

blair
25th June 2009, 12:56 PM
So, i got defected for having non-standard seats without an engineers cert.
I am required to take my car to a specific cop station to get it cleared when i have either got them engineered or replace with stock seats.

Just wondering who else has had to do this, and what was actually done / how thorough they are?
i.e. just a quick check, sign a piece of paper and give you a reciept
or full on looking through engine bay + height and sound testing etc..

reasons why im so scared:
- unmodplated 4ag
- completely unfiltered air intake - 4 uni filters are on order
- 90mm at rails, exhaust and crossmember - dont reaaaaly want to raise coilovers (stuff alignment)
- no rear interior/seats - thinking about putting back in obviously if i can find it all
- is very loud i have been told, as in cant hear the passenger yelling >3000rpm
- nardi copy, on a quick release kit - really think i should swap this at least!

so yeh, i can just see me rocking up to get my seats checked and the cop slamming me for everything else :(

oh obviously i will be replacing the seats with std ones.

thanks for reading and your input, blair.

There is no way i can afford to get mod plates for anything before the defect has to be cleared.

sonsta
25th June 2009, 01:06 PM
not sure if its the same in qld and nsw but i know in nsw the cop can tick a box that says full or partial inspection. pretty self explanatory really....major gets a full inspection (blue slip pretty much) or minor they just check what you have been defected for and your on your way.

does this mean you wont be attending on sunday?

blair
25th June 2009, 01:14 PM
i will be attending sunday, car is already raised back up tho and may be rocking stock seats...

yeh i realise its only a 'minor inspection'

but its still a cop in the presence of my car, so whats stopping him just slapping me with another defect for something else?

scenario:

cop: "ah yes that looks great, all good on your way"
me: "oh cheers officer, have a good day"
cop: "yes you to, and dont get into any more trouble!"

.. awkward pause..

cop: "wait a minute, why does your engine sound like such a beast?"
me: "ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

BAM :(

sonsta
25th June 2009, 01:29 PM
yeh doubt they would do you again just after they clear you but yeh you never know

kaibeecee
25th June 2009, 01:54 PM
its usually just a quick look by the officer at the nominated station and you're on your way.

just wait till he goes back inside before you start the car and leave. make a phone call or something.

Robo86
25th June 2009, 06:11 PM
yep as pete said, basic quick look.

take off ur nardi and put in rear interior though and give the car a good clean inside and out you should be ok, goodluck man

racsov
25th June 2009, 06:28 PM
the stocker it looks the better chance you will have

fantapants
25th June 2009, 10:14 PM
in all seriousness, pass the attitude test and the rest will be ALOT easier. arrive a bit early, polite confidant but not cocky. wait and be helpful and honest. Make the car as presentable as possible mate but honestly as long as you pass the attitude test, he will only really give a easy look over. If he still acts like a douche, you were going to be hammered anyways.

ps, also loose that mullet if your still rocking it, and no wife beater singlets :)

good luck mate :)

biggo
26th June 2009, 09:36 PM
business up front, party out the back!

I just wrote letters everytime i get defected. Works most of the time.

blair
26th June 2009, 10:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

yes mullet is gone now :P

cheers guys, feeling a little bit less worried

ke70dave
26th June 2009, 10:41 PM
what seats did you have in it?

most things on that list of yours are pretty.....lazy....

wind up the coilovers to legal height, put in the interiour, put a stock steering wheel on

and a modplate only cost me $80. though might be more difficult since im not sure if a carby'd 4age can ever be legal (assuming your still runninng carby)

and the unfiltered intake.....well thats a bit dangerous for your carby/motor anyway.

blair
27th June 2009, 09:50 AM
seats are just fibreglass no brand on modified stock rails. think i might just offload them and get me a sparco+bride rail and get it plated -> cause bride seats cant be legal in aus i heard? lol.

sonsta
4th July 2009, 04:24 PM
yeh bride seats arnt adr approved so they are illegal no matter what

and if u get caught and the cop feels like being a prick he give you a $300 fine and 3 points :(

trikzlane
4th July 2009, 05:28 PM
sonny's best advise for getting on defect is to sell the car to some dick and let them do it. lol

sonsta
6th July 2009, 10:40 AM
lol yeh iv had 2 defected cars and havnt been able to afford to rerego and undefect either of them :(