PDA

View Full Version : car shakes on idle.

Ade_Mc
26th June 2009, 01:39 AM
hi
Car is making some hectic noise. rattling and what not!
sounds like a bunch of monkeys are having a fight in my motor with pots and pans!
just changed leads, points, cap, sparks.
could be the timing, as it sounds like a diesel!!!
just thought i'd ask.

any pointers would be appreciated.

just added a video, AND THE SOUND IS NOW WORKING. (last one had no sound) check it out and let me know what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdEjnukRZl4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdEjnukRZl4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdEjnukRZl4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DAMO46
26th June 2009, 01:52 AM
dropped a cylinder ade?

Nikkojoe
26th June 2009, 02:02 AM
Carby working fine? Its probably needing a good clean out with carby cleaner and also installing a small rebuild kit (new needle, plunger, gaskets etc).

Hen may possibly be a nut
26th June 2009, 02:49 AM
I'm assuming 4AC here, but I had a similar problem once, shuddered at idle, but was ok once going. Rallystanza diagnosed it as a vacuum hose fallen off under the airfilter. There are 11000 of them, but it may be worth a look.

Hen

Ade_Mc
26th June 2009, 09:52 AM
cheers, i will check it out.
i would buy a rebuild kit but i have a twin webber sitting around, will be putting that on soon.
i hope it hasn't dropped a cylinder. been driving it for over two weeks now.
once its going its kind of ok.

will check the vac hoses.

squish_m8
26th June 2009, 11:03 AM
inlet manifold gasket leaking? that could cause the car to run unevenly...

Ade_Mc
26th June 2009, 11:39 AM
that could be possible, since dumping the ride height, i have had a could big scrapes. but don't think it would of broken off. More likely it would of broken off at the hot dog or on the muffler somewhere.

checked the vac hoses, them seem all good.

the search continues

focus_7
26th June 2009, 03:36 PM
I've got this issue too. Not too violent but this advice is very helpful.

matt99
26th June 2009, 05:00 PM
Concidering you just changed a whole bunch of parts, the question is, was it doing this BEFORE you changed the parts? If it was'nt, then I would say you've installed something wrong, or something is faulty and hence, your engine is'nt firing on one of its cylinders.

racsov
26th June 2009, 07:08 PM
yeah sounds like engine mounts or exhaust rubbing

Ade_Mc
28th June 2009, 02:26 AM
Concidering you just changed a whole bunch of parts, the question is, was it doing this BEFORE you changed the parts? If it was'nt, then I would say you've installed something wrong, or something is faulty and hence, your engine is'nt firing on one of its cylinders.

after replacing the parts it run perfect for about 2-3weeks.
engine mounts aren't to bad, but if it keeps shaking like it is then they will be the next to go.
my GF's dad thinks that the 1st cylinder might not be firing, and that the tappits (if thats how its spelt) are out. as its ticking really loudly.

also on start up a lot of moisture comes out of the exhaust, leaving black marks.
i have pretty much covered half the work carpark with them!!!!!

af300e
28th June 2009, 02:15 PM
also on start up a lot of moisture comes out of the exhaust, leaving black marks.
i have pretty much covered half the work carpark with them!!!!!

Do you have glycol in your rad water? Does the moisture smell like coolant? Are you losing any coolant? May be blown head gasket.....

Ade_Mc
28th June 2009, 03:00 PM
might be on the way out. i haven't lost heaps of coolant, i do have glycol in it. though i'm ashamed to say it...the last time i topped it up was about 3-4months. the level is inbetween full and low.

Ade_Mc
6th July 2009, 01:27 PM
sorry, just realised that the video's sound is rooted

Driftspec
6th July 2009, 02:01 PM
Does it sound like a boxer motor? My old 4AC had a dodgy lead that loved falling off on harsh bumps, and when it did the car sounded like a really slow WRX :D Made the same noise when it busted a head gasket on the highway too... So thats another couple of options for you :)

ArbPotatoes
6th July 2009, 02:16 PM
Mine shakes a fair bit on idle, mostly because it's about to die.

Ade_Mc
6th July 2009, 02:39 PM
Mine shakes a fair bit on idle, mostly because it's about to die.

yeah i think mine is dying to,
i know the Carb is a bit rooted. going to put the webber on.
but the water out the exhaust can't be a good sign!
possible head gasket failure eminate?

Golberg
6th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Totally different thing to thing about.

Perhaps one of you're engine mount rubbers has separated from the mount, have seen it happen before.

driftke70
6th July 2009, 03:14 PM
4ac -> bin

Driftspec
6th July 2009, 07:27 PM
If its blowing water, that can't be a good sign, no :(

Ade_Mc
7th July 2009, 05:37 PM
4ac -> bin

as much as i'd like to, i don't have $1500-$2000 to put in a 4AG-
its not shaking as much as before now(adjusted carby), though it sounds louder then a diesel,
could be the tappits. ticking so hectic loud, think it might be something to do with the timing belt. will be taking it to a mechanic next week. i will get a proper video with sound tomorrow.

sprint86
7th July 2009, 07:52 PM
may have lopped a lobe of the cam? if it has noisy tappets!

ArbPotatoes
7th July 2009, 07:58 PM
4ac -> bin

4ac -> burn

Ade_Mc
8th July 2009, 12:50 PM
may have lopped a lobe of the cam? if it has noisy tappets!

that doesn't sound good, could be right. sounds like a bunch of monkey's fighting with pots and pans in my motor.
still runs ok.
taking it to the mechanics tomorrow.

ArbPotatoes
9th July 2009, 01:42 PM
that doesn't sound good, could be right. sounds like a bunch of monkey's fighting with pots and pans in my motor.
still runs ok.
taking it to the mechanics tomorrow.

Mechanics cost money

Burning your 4AC is free

Ade_Mc
12th July 2009, 06:24 PM
added new vid, check first post!

OMG866
12th July 2009, 06:36 PM
Engine mount. i have had the same problem in the past.