PDA

View Full Version : S T Y L E S

drift kid
25th November 2013, 09:13 PM
Just my daily haha, an rn30 1983 hilux longbed, been painted blue metalic by some douche minitrucker, missing 50% of the interior etc.. slowly fixing her back up to a nice daily/tow rig. Specs are as follows
-15x9" -37 diamond racing steelies all around w/ 195/50/15 tyres
-front wound down and rear leafs jave been mucked with and on 2" blocks
-nardi wheel
-blue bubble dildo knob
-80's toyota recaro wanna be seats
-converted to round light front end
-re furb'd genuine front bar
-bolt on 70mm flares at rear and soon to be front
-18r motor with over six trillion k's on it
-sounds like the tooth fairies stash is in my rockercover
-hardcover for the tray

I am in the process of getting everything for the 3rz swap over christmas holiday break, can't wait for more powah

drift kid
28th November 2013, 11:01 AM
Interior and another front, put on the lower apron and some trim panels too <3

drift kid
24th December 2013, 05:33 PM
I bought the donor heart yesterday, started preparing for surgery today, got the engine loom 90% disconnected and all the auxiliary crap taken off now too.

marvis
26th December 2013, 10:00 PM
How good are utes!?

You should use an image uploader and [ img ] tags. Can't see shit on my phone.

drift kid
27th December 2013, 09:47 AM
Really? I just use the motorculture app and it's uploader, never had a problem before :/ and yeah utes are the best! ^.^ haha, can't wait till the 1U is in

dove grey 64
27th December 2013, 11:13 AM
Ah always wanted one of these.
Long beds are the best

drift kid
27th December 2013, 06:26 PM
Yeah man, can fit anything in there lol, should be an awesome tow rig once the 1U is in and I finish the tyre rack on the trailer

drift kid
28th December 2013, 06:50 PM
Motor is getting close to being ready to sit in! Found some groovy computer gear in the front cut too haha

drift kid
3rd January 2014, 06:56 PM
Things escalated rather quickly today, after taking out the gearbox from the 86 to do some maintenance we took the 1uz home and I began the arduous task.

joeschmo_57
3rd January 2014, 09:06 PM
Woah nelly. Quite a task

drift kid
4th January 2014, 10:13 AM
Woah nelly indeed, going to be an effort and a half

drift kid
8th January 2014, 05:07 PM
Well this happened today, got the motor positioned exactly where it needs to be and started mounts

drift kid
8th January 2014, 10:46 PM
Modified the sump tonight and cut the steel for the engine mounts, getting pretty excited :D

drift kid
10th January 2014, 06:48 PM
Engine mounts and gearbox mount done and installed, now for shifter and tailshaft tomorrow, suuuper stoked on the amount of progress so far :D
I am really surprised at how well everything fits and lines up, as you can see, the engine mounts are nearly directly across from the original position and this made for easy fabrication of the final mounts as well as the gbox mount, the new position is perfectly in line with the height of the stock mount so all that was needed was a quick lop off of the end and some neat fabbing of some plate etc..

drift kid
13th January 2014, 10:01 PM
So I was thinking for the exhaust side of things, I am going to mod the stock headers to make them fit and then going into twin 2.25" steel system that runs down either side, meets under the car near the middle for the crossover and splits back outwards into a small resonator on each side, then both run to the rear into a single muffler with twin 2.25" inlets to twin 2.5" inlets for the tips at the rear, what are your thoughts?

drift kid
14th January 2014, 09:59 PM
Big day today, finished the tailshaft, gutted the interior, started shaving all of the random holes in the floor and guna get stuck into the rust tomorrow morning

jay70
14th January 2014, 10:24 PM
this will be pretty sweet man. good work

drift kid
15th January 2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks dude, fingers crossed it'll be cool :P

drift kid
15th January 2014, 04:47 PM
I keep forgetting to take pics but this is the passenger floor once the rust was all cut out/converted, this has since been plated back up and painted, the driver side is also cut out but I will finish plating that in the morning, all of the holes in the floor have been welded up and ground flush, also fixed all of the seat mounts, they were a little rough and needed re-doing so all strong now :)

drift kid
16th January 2014, 10:39 PM
Finished the rust repairs today, also removed all of the junk from the back wall of the cab that used to house the jack handle and Jack etc. so all smooth now :) then I gernied out the entire floor and it came up heaps nicer, needs one more vacuum and I'll give the inside a quick spray of black, I also begun the task of implanting the lexus instrument cluster into my dash, some small cuts here and there and then she sits right at home :) I'll throw some pics up in the morning, all seems to be coming along nicely :)

drift kid
17th January 2014, 10:08 AM
Pics of what's happening incl. hover mode engaged

drift kid
17th January 2014, 06:40 PM
Got heaps done today :) modified all of the gear selector linkages to clear the box, finished them quicker than I thought I would so I painted them and bolted it all up, works a treat :) so then onto the fuel tank, drained the remainder out and dropped that 70L bad boy. Then I got stuck into cutting the fuel pump hole out of my old bent ae86 tank and welding it into my hilux tank, I did this because the hilux unit was tiny, not big enough to slide a fuel pump through that's for sure, the ae86 setup that is in there now has a 65mm dia. hole so I can make up a pot for the pump to sit in and get the pump all mounted up and that side of things should be done :) I also degreased and gernied the tank before painting it all black again aswell as all of the accessories that go with the tank, just makes it neater when under the ute :) also painted the tailshaft finally and got a couple other bits and peices done here and there :)

drift kid
17th January 2014, 06:41 PM
Pic

dove grey 64
17th January 2014, 10:32 PM
nice progress. welds look good. i'd of just been lazy and used sikaflex

drift kid
18th January 2014, 08:11 AM
Hahaha fuck that, would be awsome when it falls apart on a big drive, I'm sure the engineer would love it too

dove grey 64
18th January 2014, 09:01 AM
Alot of new cars are held together with it, lots of different grades for different purposes.
In this circumstance with it not being a point of high movement or stress it would have been ok.

drift kid
18th January 2014, 05:38 PM
Hmm, I guess I'm old fashioned like that, all metal and welds for me, I love the peace of mind knowing that it won't ever come unglued

drift kid
21st January 2014, 10:03 PM
Lexus steering column is now in, had to seriously modify the bracketry to accept the new one, also modified the steering shaft to suit the hilux steering box so the shaft is all done now too, I also finished hacking the dash to bits and have it fitting pretty well now, I have begun the task of shaving all the unnecessary holes and tidying it all up before the paint goes on, more on that later, I have also sussed out all of the wiring (about six trillion metres of it) and have labelled the plugs and decided what to strip from the loom and what to keep, can't wait for that shit to be done.. also a picture of the gear shifter all bolted up ;)

drift kid
23rd January 2014, 04:38 PM
Made up a heap of little brackets for miscellaneous engine bay parts today as well as getting a start on the new intake pipe

Matt
23rd January 2014, 06:35 PM
Rumour has it you got this running and posted a vid up on facebook :P

drift kid
23rd January 2014, 10:15 PM
Yeah m8, she wasn't idling too well though, might post the vid here too if you're lucky ;)

drift kid
24th January 2014, 07:11 AM
Progress A+

dove grey 64
24th January 2014, 07:43 AM
Q U A L I T Y.
Mad skills ben. This is a real build thread, mines more of a members ride thread lol

drift kid
24th January 2014, 07:55 AM
Haha thanks man, yours is much more interesting though -_-

drift kid
24th January 2014, 03:34 PM
Fits like a glove ;)

drift kid
27th January 2014, 10:21 AM
Welded the intake up and took the motor out for the final time, now to make the headers and finish the bay for some paint

drift kid
27th January 2014, 08:57 PM
Cleaned up the bay heaps today, cut out the rusty battery tray, shaved lots of useless crap, cut some special holes for the loom to pass through, also painted the engine mounts and mount caps aswell as figuring out what I need to do with my brake setup.

drift kid
29th January 2014, 09:56 PM
A little more progress today, I finished the the removable section of the radiator support by adding some 3mm 20x20 angle along the under edge and whacking a riv nut in either end to make it bolt in and out easily.

I also finished the adapter plate that adapts the lexus brake master to the hilux booster, all 100% tig welded mild steel 3mm plate and high tensile bolts.

I made the pump hanger and bracketry today as well, that is all 100% stainless and tig welded, I made up a little half moon section to keep the pump from swinging out of place and notched the pipe in between the two to allow for the hose clamp to pass through, this will stop it from ever moving up or down, side to side. I fabricated it so as to have the filter for the pump 5mm off of the base of the tank, this way it should stop surging hopefuly :) the pump is a walbro 255L/h unit.
I also did a little more work on the dash but nothing special.

drift kid
31st January 2014, 06:28 PM
Fuel tank back in with the pump setup all installed and new hoses on now, starting the bay tomorrow! :D

drift kid
1st February 2014, 05:35 PM
Bay is DONE

dove grey 64
1st February 2014, 06:50 PM
Nice. What color are you doing the bay?

drift kid
1st February 2014, 09:23 PM
Same blue as the exterior but in a satin finish and blacking out the front of the rad support panel and in the guards

drift kid
3rd February 2014, 09:07 PM
Much more progress on the bay thisarvo! All bracketry and accessories now have mounts and mounting points, I riv nutted it all, then painted all nessiscary brackets black. I then started on the radiator setup (more on that tomorrow) and finally cut the little bit of rust out from where the battery tray was and smoothed out 99% of the imperfections, and sanded most of the tubs up and gave the bare parts a lick of silver primer, tomorrow the whole bay will be rubbed down and primed aswell as the radiator setup being finished (hopefully!)

drift kid
4th February 2014, 08:53 PM
Bay all primed now, got heaps done on the radiator setup but still not happy with it yet

drift kid
7th February 2014, 06:02 PM
Bay is painted now and the front is all blacked out, let's put it back together! :D

drift kid
11th February 2014, 08:25 PM
Sump and one of the headers done today, starting to lose motivation :/

dove grey 64
11th February 2014, 09:52 PM
you can do it!
its looking good mang. going to be the nicest tow rig out

drift kid
12th February 2014, 05:26 AM
Yeah, but it's just turned into this huge build rather than a quick swap, I will finish it, but only because I HAVE to, I know that I won't regret it, it'll be sick once it's finished, just giving me the shits lately

drift kid
12th February 2014, 09:44 PM
This fell in tonight

sundee
12th February 2014, 10:45 PM
Top stuff, getting close

drift kid
13th February 2014, 05:18 AM
Very slowly, this thing better be at drift fest

dove grey 64
13th February 2014, 08:45 PM
Home straight now.
Here is some motivational music for you

http://youtu.be/Iof5pRAIZmw

drift kid
13th February 2014, 09:41 PM
Hahaha, geoff you crack me up, I think that getting the motor back in there was the motivation that I needed, finally feels like a car again.. well ute actually. Will get some bends for the exhaust soon and get the rest of that sorted and finish off the radiator.

dove grey 64
14th February 2014, 07:53 AM
At least its always been rolling.
I've got a bare restored mini shell, been sitting untouched since 07 :(

drift kid
14th February 2014, 11:28 AM
That sucks, get that shit done man! :D

dove grey 64
14th February 2014, 12:51 PM
Soon enough. Got all the time in the world

drift kid
14th February 2014, 09:29 PM
Got more done today, gbox fully bolted in, fuel lines run and secured, going to make up the bends to go on the ends of the manifolds tomorrow and get the engine mounts bolted up

drift kid
15th February 2014, 06:00 PM
Tailshaft in for good, gear linkage fixed and bolted in for good, headers are 80% done now and started sorting out the trans cooler setup

sundee
16th February 2014, 11:41 AM
booo yea, get it done son! your going well ben.
Geoff... if you ever want to get rid of that mini shell ;)

drift kid
16th February 2014, 01:55 PM
Yeah dude, guna get the last of the rust finished off this week, then new windscreen, then interior can go back in! :D

drift kid
17th February 2014, 09:05 PM
Extractors

drift kid
18th February 2014, 09:01 PM
How she sits after tonight

drift kid
19th February 2014, 09:48 PM
Rust fixed! Pics later, also received my V bands in the mail today so the headers will be done on friday and will be painted and bolted on for good soon! :D

sundee
22nd February 2014, 12:19 AM
Headers look ace man

drift kid
22nd February 2014, 06:54 AM
You should see them now! The V bands are welded on and the o2 bungs are in too, I bolted up the manifolds and gaskets yesterday and got the trans oil cooler sorted too

sundee
22nd February 2014, 09:25 AM
amazing work amego ;)

drift kid
22nd February 2014, 12:43 PM
Starting to look a little more like a functional engine bay

drift kid
24th February 2014, 09:10 PM
Awesome feeling as it all starts to peice back together, painted up the brake booster and the adapter bracket for the brake master and bolted that all in and plumbed the vacuum line for the booster. Also installed the steering column support and the column it's self, feels good to bolt it in for good, I painted up a few little brackets for here and there as well. The last thing I did for the night was get the new sway bar installed, finally got my spacers sitting where I want them and put the new bushes in and bolted it all up, so hopefully she will corner pretty decent now :)

sundee
25th February 2014, 08:32 AM
This is what we want to hear!
Eta till drivable?

drift kid
25th February 2014, 10:43 AM
Hopefully about a month away but not getting my hopes up

dove grey 64
25th February 2014, 03:01 PM
I give this two thumbs up

sundee
25th February 2014, 06:26 PM
i would be concerned if you gave 3.... :/

drift kid
25th February 2014, 09:11 PM
I'd prefer 3..

drift kid
25th February 2014, 09:20 PM
Painted up the bonnet latch and latch support and bolted them in aswell as the drivers side bonet hinge and a blanking plate on the firewall as well as finishing up the lines on the trans oil cooler and bolting that into place, not much else happened as I was also working on the 86

drift kid
26th February 2014, 08:21 PM
I am officially terrified

dove grey 64
27th February 2014, 07:18 AM
Yep.... I dont touch wiring for that very reason

drift kid
27th February 2014, 07:43 AM
Makes me just want to give it to a wiring guy and empty my wallet. Also fixed the last little bit of rust under the windscreen on the passenger side and fish oiled in the wiper plenum, now to flick a little paint around there and get the dash/wiring sorted so the new windscreen can go in. God I wana drive this damn thing

sundee
27th February 2014, 01:02 PM
Why did you yank all the wiring out like that?

drift kid
27th February 2014, 03:08 PM
That is the two looms sat in the car to go behind the dash

drift kid
1st March 2014, 05:20 PM
Moar progress! Got 99% of the loom plugged in, need to figure out where the shit the fuel pump wiring comes from :/ I also installed the new throttle cable that I had made, painted the washer jets and installed them, rivetted the vin plates back onto the firewall and 99% finished the fuse box side of things. I also installed the heater box and tucked a little bit of the loom under the dash. And last but not least, I put the brake lines back in, they all bolted straight up bar the little front one! Which I made up, super productive day! :D

dove grey 64
1st March 2014, 06:20 PM
Sweet.
Once you get rolling on plugging a loom in its not so bad.

drift kid
1st March 2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah but I need to do heaps of wiring also for head/tail lights, fuel pump etc etc -_-

drift kid
4th March 2014, 01:55 PM
Sooo ready for this to be done, dying to drive it, got a little further with the wiring yesterday and got the K&N on

drift kid
4th March 2014, 09:37 PM
Heaps more done tonight, got power through the loom, dash lights up and all! ^_^ got a few other bits and peices done and some critical measurments taken for some big peices

drift kid
4th March 2014, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=craqwN3zJMk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

maxhag
5th March 2014, 02:09 AM
Looking decent Ben..... :sunnies:

drift kid
5th March 2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks dude, sooo pumped to drive this thing

drift kid
5th March 2014, 10:10 PM
Gutted and cleaned the power steering pump today and filled it with new oil to keep the bearings happy while it does nothing on the side of my engine, that meant that the intake could now go on so the filter was attached to the afm and it was all clamped on for good. Also condensed a little more of the wiring as well as ordering my new power cables so they should be ready to be picked up tomorrow. I did a heap more work on the dash frame too, fixing imperfections and making it more rigid, that should be complete soon and then that can be painted and bolted in for good! Man I can't wait for that day... I also bolted up the headlights and plugged them into the lexus loom, then bam! I now have working headlights again :D

sundee
6th March 2014, 01:07 PM
epic man! should not be long now, how far off till a key turn?

drift kid
6th March 2014, 05:38 PM
Well I turned it over last night so it cranks and all, just waiting for my oil filter relocation kit to turn up hopefully tomorrow or Monday and I'll hook up the fuel lines tomorrow or Saturday, then we should see some life hopefully! :)

drift kid
7th March 2014, 08:21 PM
Got the bag setup and solenoids today for a steal and got the radiator 98% done, just a tiny bit left to do, then I can paint it and bolt it in, did a little more wiring today and some more cleaning up on the dash, little bits and peices here and there but it's all progress towards the ultimate goal! :D

drift kid
8th March 2014, 03:18 PM
So close.. yet so far...

sundee
10th March 2014, 11:03 AM
just baggin the rear or all 4 corners?

drift kid
10th March 2014, 09:53 PM
Just the rear and it will stay on leaves, the bags are mainly for leveling out whilst towing

drift kid
10th March 2014, 10:14 PM
Fitted up the oil relocation gear today, pics tomorrow, radiator should be able to stay in for good by the weekend too

drift kid
11th March 2014, 09:47 PM
Oil filter relocation all done, had to remake one of the lines as I had it too long but all sorted now, bought a filter for it too and filled it with oil, running penrite 10w-50 same as the 86, seems like good stuff. I also finished the radiator today finally and painted that all shiny and black, just have to bolt it in now and sort the hoses out plus a thermo fan soon. Also made the line that runs from the rad to the header tank and dropped the fuel tank one last time to solder the pump wires on as I forgot to before, tomorrow I'll whack 20L of 98 in the tank and see if we can get her to fire up!

sundee
12th March 2014, 10:57 AM
yewwww

did i mention mine is turing tyres already?

rock penrite in every car ive owned, wont use anything else.

usually HRP 5 in the 1zz and 1jz

is your UZ vvti?

drift kid
12th March 2014, 09:39 PM
Nah non vvti 195kw model I believe

And trust me, this can now turn tyres ;)

drift kid
12th March 2014, 09:52 PM
Today was a huge day for the hixus, big plans came into motion. Started off with finishing the ground wire on the walbro and giving the pump 12v to supply fuel, then after a few double checks on oil and bolt tightness etc. I gave her a kick in the guts and first turn of the key we have lift off!

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-J73LYzH3o&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-J73LYzH3o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I also painted the radiator and fitted that up, I finished up the line to the header tank and I cut the top hose to fit nicely. I then put the drain bung back in and put in the coolant temp sensor for the ecu in the bottom of the radiator and did a little wiring to get the plug to meet it, so that is all done, next is the lower radiator hose and the heater hose setup.. I also used some larger P clamps and bolted the new oil lines to the skirt to keep them out of the way, worked beautifully. Man I am dying to drive this, hopefully some joy soon!

sundee
13th March 2014, 10:07 AM
ahh its sounds ammaaaaaaazing!
top work fella!

drift kid
13th March 2014, 09:04 PM
You have no idea, my ears were bleeding with joy, so angry sounding haha

drift kid
15th March 2014, 05:44 PM
Smashed out the tool box for the tray today, fits perfectly and I'm really glad that I went with separate lids and a partition, can have junk in one side and the other nice for the battery/air compressor311853118631187

drift kid
17th March 2014, 09:45 PM
Sorted the battery cables situation today and a few other bits and pieces.

Matt
18th March 2014, 01:14 PM
Sounds awesome.

Seventy
18th March 2014, 07:42 PM
I take you made the tray box yourself? Looks awesome!

drift kid
18th March 2014, 08:17 PM
Yeah dude, any fabrication work that you see in either of my build will always be by myself :) and thanks matt <3

Jimmee1990
18th March 2014, 08:57 PM
Agreed, all the effort and thought really shows in the end result. Also 1uz is awesome in almost anything!

drift kid
19th March 2014, 05:04 AM
Haha yeah, thanks for the kind words man :)

drift kid
19th March 2014, 08:45 PM
More work on the dash today and pulled the front brakes/hubs off, gotta get new pads and bearings then get the discs machined.

sundee
23rd March 2014, 02:21 PM
What brakes you running on this puppy?

drift kid
23rd March 2014, 02:25 PM
Brembo 8 pot fronts on 500mm carbon fibre brembo discs

drift kid
23rd March 2014, 02:32 PM
But in all seriousness we have spoken to the engineer and he said that the stock front brakes will be fine, so I'm getting some nice new front pads, cleaning the pistons in the calipers, getting the discs machined and making some brake cooling ducts as well as new wheel bearings. The front brakes in this are pretty decent from factory, they are only single pot but they are decently sized and they have pretty thick vented discs

sundee
26th March 2014, 02:56 PM
^^ lol
That's handy that you don't need a brake upgrade.

drift kid
26th March 2014, 08:54 PM
Yeah definitely, I did the new front wheel bearings today and greased all of that up, pretty sure they were still factory 1983 toyota items, the grease smelled like burnt diff oil :S and I got new front pads today but they are wrong so I will exchange them tomorrow -_-

sundee
26th March 2014, 11:01 PM
yummy, whats your choice of pad?

drift kid
27th March 2014, 05:16 AM
Just bendix pads, they seem to brake well and last, it's only a road car so doesn't need anything metallic or crazy

drift kid
29th March 2014, 11:54 AM
Little bits happening here and there, got brake lights now, finished the front brakes/hubs today too.
-New wheel bearings
-New heavy duty bendix 4x4 front pads
-Freshly machined discs
-Custom brake cooling ducts
-Rebuilt calipers (was heaps of muck and gunk in the pistons)
Brakes should be at least a million times better now.

drift kid
29th March 2014, 12:07 PM
Couple more pics showing the brake cooling ducts3140631407

Seventy
29th March 2014, 03:06 PM
Cool job with the brake ducts, hope small rocks and stuff dont fly in

drift kid
29th March 2014, 05:34 PM
Yeah I thought of that after lol, she'll be right

drift kid
29th March 2014, 05:39 PM
Also did these things today
-painted the new washerbottle
-made all of the bracketry for the washer bottle
-ran the wiring for the wipers
-made the bracket to hold the lower radiator hose away from the motor
-finished all of the front brakes/bearings etc.

drift kid
2nd April 2014, 09:38 PM
So brakes are all 100% done and bled, they work, this is very good, I also drove the ute under it's own power today around the back yard which sounds mild but to me it was one of the highlights so far :)31431I also put new wheel nuts on so that they all finally match and I now have lock nuts :)31432

Jimmee1990
2nd April 2014, 11:43 PM
So close!

drift kid
3rd April 2014, 05:17 AM
Tell me about it! It is all starting to come down to the wiring, I really wish I was good at auto elec work -_-

drift kid
7th April 2014, 10:17 PM
Heaps more stuff done and yeah, whatever

drift kid
8th April 2014, 08:27 PM
So yeah, converted my tail lights to LED boards, holy crap they are amazing31472

drift kid
8th April 2014, 09:23 PM
So close I can taste it

drift kid
9th April 2014, 07:57 PM
Heater hoses all done, YUS OMG I HAVE BEEN DREADING THESE FUCKING THINGS31485
Also drilled, tapped and installed the new thermo fan switch into the top radiator outlet pipe thingy. It switches on at 85°c and off at 80°c so pretty keen to get that all hooked up on friday.31486
We also figured out why the right indicators won't work and are ontop of sorting that out. Next is wipers/washers!

drift kid
11th April 2014, 07:41 PM
Big things are happening! My wizard of a father did his wizard stuff on my wiring today and I now have all blinkers, hazards, electronic telescopic/tilt steering column, windscreen washers and wipers but only on the fast speed lol. We just have the horn and the rest of the wipers and the fuel guage wiring and it will all be done! :D
http://youtu.be/F96FFU1MjDc

Seventy
11th April 2014, 08:22 PM
Holy shit, that steering column is crazy! haha

drift kid
11th April 2014, 11:25 PM
Haha yeah dude, it's fuckin sick

drift kid
14th April 2014, 09:56 PM
Forgot to mention that last friday I bought two cat's two hot dogs, two flex joints and a nice muffler for the exhaust system and on Saturday I cut and bevelled 60 pie cuts ready for the assembly on Tuesday, this is guna be cool! ;)

Jdm-Mcc
14th April 2014, 10:01 PM
60 pie cuts! fudge that!

Sprinter Freak
15th April 2014, 12:55 AM
Is this going to be ready for next weekend?

drift kid
15th April 2014, 06:11 AM
Nope :(

sundee
15th April 2014, 03:09 PM
WTF!!! is this no business???

60 pie cuts... i like pie

drift kid
16th April 2014, 09:22 PM
No way in hell she'll be at drift fest :(

drift kid
16th April 2014, 09:41 PM
But on the plus side I have put some of those pie cuts to good use!31563

drift kid
19th April 2014, 11:18 PM
Welded up all of what I had tacked together for the exhaust today and dad and I got the dash all painted and loosely bolted in, starting to all come together! :D just need to paint the scuttle panel this week and then time for the new windscreen, suuuper keen to drive this!

sundee
20th April 2014, 04:23 PM
moar pics!

drift kid
23rd April 2014, 09:18 PM
Thermo fans are 100% wired with relay and that means I finally got to put my grill in! :D but that's about where the good news stops for tonight :( I have stripped the thread in my lower radiator tank sensor hole -_- my sump is leaking oil and the bushes I bought for my steering idler arm are completely wrong, ugh.31633

drift kid
30th April 2014, 10:22 PM
Slow progress...

drift kid
2nd May 2014, 07:22 AM
All leaks in the front end are sealed *fingers crossed* I will fill with fluids again after work today, have to let the seals cure

drift kid
3rd May 2014, 06:46 PM
Leaks fixed, coolant in, oil back in, ran it for the longest I have so far today, let it properly warm up, fans work great and it all runs smooth :D 3172431725
Also made some monster progress on the exhaust today, got 90% of the tracky bits done now, pretty much only straight parts now so I'm getting pretty excited.

Zane k
3rd May 2014, 06:56 PM
Yep. Definitely approve of this! Keen to see it finished man

drift kid
3rd May 2014, 10:49 PM
You and I both lol, it's edging closer and closer

drift kid
5th May 2014, 05:58 PM
A little more paint today <331769

drift kid
8th May 2014, 06:39 AM
Exhaust alllllmost finished ^_^31786317893178731788

Myles
8th May 2014, 10:52 AM
Can't wait to see this thing finished man :D (btw your welds are awesome!)

drift kid
8th May 2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks man :) and I am pretty pumped too haha, gotta do the handbrake setup and get a windscreen and then it's just re-assembly :)

drift kid
9th May 2014, 11:06 PM
Picked up my new roof lining today, looks heaps nicer, we glued it in with some soft sound proof matting to make it a little quieter and less tinny on the roof, I also finished 100% of the welding on the mild part of the exhaust, so time for some heat paint tomorrow hopefully and then final fitup!

drift kid
13th May 2014, 09:25 PM
Exhaust is all painted, installed, bolted tightly, all sensors installed, muffler on, looks great and sounds great. Also did all of the wiring for the stereo today and ran the speaker wires so that is also all good :D I did a little painting on the centre console panel too.

Myles
13th May 2014, 09:59 PM
Maaad, upload some more videos of it :D

drift kid
14th May 2014, 06:34 AM
Will do one this arvo ;)

Myles
14th May 2014, 08:32 AM
Sweeet :P

drift kid
14th May 2014, 10:18 PM
Got real carried away thisarvo with the dash area, dad finished gluing in the new roof lining while I wired in the new interior light/rear vision mirror. We then proceeded to cut out heaps of the plugs that are now being unused and trying to tidy up the loom the best we can. I then installed the custom centre panel into the dash and bolted in the heater controls and the stereo head unit and then whacked the dash in, I am super excited and happy now that this is bolted in for good, it looks great and makes the ute feel heaps closer to being completed, now for a new windsceeen. There's probably more but I can't remember. 31854

drift kid
14th May 2014, 10:27 PM
http://instagram.com/p/n-ZtTyK3U_/

drift kid
19th May 2014, 11:45 AM
Almost there, windscreen on Wednesday arvo and rear screen tomorrow hopefully

drift kid
21st May 2014, 06:31 AM
Roof lining/rear windows
Handbrake and centre console brackets
All of the painting on the back Window area

Myles
21st May 2014, 02:50 PM
Looking good! I'm assuming the whole car is being painted black?

drift kid
21st May 2014, 02:59 PM
Lol nope, why? The exterior is staying blue and the interior peices and are black are the peices that are seen when the carpet is in, everything else is hidden

Myles
21st May 2014, 04:42 PM
Ohhk just wondering, since you painted the inside black but yeah blue will look better on the outside :P

drift kid
21st May 2014, 09:29 PM
Windscreeeeeeen
Carpettttt
Seatssssssss

drift kid
24th May 2014, 06:38 PM
Today was an amazing day, drove it for the first time, this thing absolutely cracks.31934

Matt
25th May 2014, 01:40 AM
Good news mate... Always a good feeling to drive a car after an engine conversion and knowing it runs well

Myles
25th May 2014, 02:57 AM
That's awesome Ben! Have to put up some videos of you flogging it :P

drift kid
25th May 2014, 11:25 AM
Pulled a sweeet power skid out of the local shops after everybody laughed at me scraping my way out of the carpark. There were no more laughs..

Seventy
25th May 2014, 08:44 PM
Oh man this is so awesome, more videos!

Myles
25th May 2014, 09:06 PM
Hahaha that is a WIN! And yeah more videos of carpark powerskids :P

Powerbite
26th May 2014, 03:44 PM
This thing is beyond cool, makes me want to pull my finger out and start mine

drift kid
26th May 2014, 05:05 PM
Haha you got one too?

drift kid
26th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Did some more testing tonight, also raised the front up 30-40mm, much more enjoyable to drive

Matt
28th May 2014, 08:01 PM
I'll fix the image tag thingy automatically.

Cant wait to awe this in the flesh

drift kid
29th May 2014, 06:21 AM
Stupid thing is having some little issues now, always two steps forward, one step back..

INVSBL
30th May 2014, 12:54 AM
least its not one foward two backwards :p

electrical bugs?

drift kid
30th May 2014, 06:38 AM
Could easily be three bawards :/ guna have a proper look after work today, it's an engine problem :/

drift kid
30th May 2014, 07:23 PM
I've been pretty down about the ute this week, but when I arrived home today to work on it I just felt the spark jump back into me and off we were! Firstly I made the blanking gromet that seals the cabin from the engine bay via the steering shaft hole aswell as placing a couple other gromets in various holes in the firewall that I found whilst under the dash. I then decided to re-wire the power for the interior light as I accidentally used a 4v source instead of a 12v so the LED interior light was definitely not living up to it's potential, BUT now with 12v going in it can burn your retinas out! :thumbup: :D:p

I didn't really take any pics of this stuff as it is fairly boring but they are tasks that need to be done, so I try and keep this thread as updated as I can. I did however though take a photo of the menacing front end that I saw as I pulled up out the front of my house after work. Boy I love this ute.

drift kid
30th May 2014, 07:30 PM

drift kid
31st May 2014, 05:28 PM
Soo, today I kept on tinkering and tweaking things, I shoukd have the new shortened handbrake cables this week and the newly trimmed windscreen visors ready to go back in. I also let it run for quite a while and had no issue like the other night so I took it for a little drive, still good so went for it's biggest test drive so far and boy did it love it, even the diff ratios feel good, at 80km/h in 4th gear (top) it revs at about 2300rpm which isn't too bad I thought. So yeah, just tidied up the interior some more, just slowly working away at it because it's waay too overwhelming trying to tuck all of those wires at once. A proper driving video should hopefully eventuate this week too! :p

Myles
1st June 2014, 12:12 AM
Maaad! And its only a 4 speed? Haha rad :D

Jdm-Mcc
1st June 2014, 08:50 AM
^ auto four speed

Myles
1st June 2014, 09:29 AM
Ohhh ok I thought it was a manuel, my bad Haha

drift kid
1st June 2014, 01:29 PM
Yeah factory auto 4 ;)

drift kid
9th June 2014, 06:31 PM
Moar happening, hydraulic pump died last week, made up a dummy idler to replace it, I'm fixing a couple of little leaks on the radiator too while it's out. I have also installed the new shortened handbrake lines and they now just need adjusting. 32107321083210932110

drift kid
10th June 2014, 09:40 PM
Radiator is back in, coolant in tomorrow and few other fiddly bits to get done after work, can't wait for another drive

drift kid
11th June 2014, 10:07 PM
Radiator is all back in, filled with coolant etc. no leaks so far so that's good news. Also put the fans back on and clipped the grill back on. I received a proper lower apron for it too for my birthday this week so I put that on, makes the front look a lot neater.
I also wired in the new hidden amplified aerial for the stereo so now I have radio channels :D
Tomorrow I will be installing the freshly trimmed window visors and hopefully some more tidying of the wire mess at my feet, then a drive ^_^

Myles
11th June 2014, 10:29 PM
Awesome! We need videos man, I love seeing the progress! , would be cool to see this beast in the flesh :P

wookster
12th June 2014, 08:23 AM
Radiator is all back in, filled with coolant etc. no leaks so far so that's good news. Also put the fans back on and clipped the grill back on. I received a proper lower apron for it too for my birthday this week so I put that on, makes the front look a lot neater.
I also wired in the new hidden amplified aerial for the stereo so now I have radio channels :D
Tomorrow I will be installing the freshly trimmed window visors and hopefully some more tidying of the wire mess at my feet, then a drive ^_^

Happy birthday, awesome present for you!
I want this car so bad... saw an RN25 for sale recently...

drift kid
12th June 2014, 09:30 AM
Cheers man :) you should buy one! They are a great vehicle, and Myles it'll be lurking allover the country soon enough ;)

wookster
12th June 2014, 09:35 AM
Cheers man :) you should buy one! They are a great vehicle, and Myles it'll be lurking allover the country soon enough ;)

I let one get away earlier in my life and I damn well regret it now.

Is the V8 going to be too ridiculous or is the auto a good heavy right foot absorber?

drift kid
14th June 2014, 07:05 PM
Drove it in the wet today, that was exciting. Lol. Also got some half decent pics of it on friday, more and more little bits and peices are being finished off now and it's starting to turn into a nice vehicle. 321413214232143

Myles
14th June 2014, 07:26 PM
Looks rad! Loving the rear over fenders Haha :P

drift kid
14th June 2014, 07:34 PM
Haha cheers bro, will have the same up front too when I can get some 2wd guards but will be getting different wheels soon too

Myles
14th June 2014, 08:34 PM
Maaaad and why the change of wheels? I actually like the steelies haha

drift kid
14th June 2014, 08:37 PM
Dude I love the steelies, but they are too ridiculous for engineering so need to get some that are more tame

wookster
17th June 2014, 12:15 PM
Dude I love the steelies, but they are too ridiculous for engineering so need to get some that are more tame

How are steel rims ridiculous for engineering? I ran ford territory steel rims on my hilux because it was easy to pass roadworthy

Jimmee1990
17th June 2014, 08:59 PM
I think he's referring to the size rather than them being made from steel.

wookster
17th June 2014, 09:24 PM
I think he's referring to the size rather than them being made from steel.

Hahaha yep,that didn't even click in my brain. :what:

drift kid
17th June 2014, 09:26 PM
Lol yeah, they are a 15x9 -37 with a 195/50/15, I don't think they will like it

drift kid
23rd June 2014, 10:25 PM
More tidying and fixing up last weekend, I ratted out one of these lux's at the local wreckers and scored the remaining bits to my heater/air system so that is now all installed, wired up and working a charm, even fixed the light in the switch panel ;) also picked up the custom tow bar setup that I made for the rear from the powdercoaters and installed that on Friday arvo, it is tucked up another 60mm for exhaust clearance and now uses a slip in hayman reece style tow bar instead of the old ugly bolt on tounge setup, I'll get pics tomorrow.
So overall it is starting to neaten up heaps more now and will soon start the engineering process.

drift kid
23rd June 2014, 10:25 PM
Oh yea, I cut all of this useless crap out of it too32257

drift kid
11th August 2014, 08:59 AM
Progress has been really slow now that I have started on the 86 rebuild, however I did refurbish the diff last weekend, new wheel bearings and axle seals, new pinion seal, adjusted up the backlash and gave it some fresh oil.

drift kid
2nd September 2014, 10:15 PM
New steering wheel, this thing is loving daily duties33039

hao.
4th September 2014, 07:01 AM
What's it like on fuel?

drift kid
4th September 2014, 01:38 PM
Fuel guage isn't wired yet :/ seems alright bit hard to say as of yet

drift kid
27th October 2014, 07:34 AM
Small update, the fuel pump shit the bed a few weeks back, I suspect that I wad sold a chineese walbro as the new one that I bought looks to be much nicer quality, so she's driving fine again, did the spark plugs and it's a little happier now too. Just really need to finish it off so I can engineer it, just really hate wiring -_-

drift kid
29th October 2014, 08:38 PM
So something cool came from mr jesse streeter today33789
Brand new TRD 2 way LSD centre for the hixus, skids for dayz! ^_^

ill-minded
30th October 2014, 06:06 PM
I know all about that feeling. Itching to get mine installed, which is ever closer, once I pick up my new daily.

Bento
27th December 2014, 05:38 PM
Fucking cool man, I really can not wait too jam the 1U in my Ol girl.

That steering colum takes the cake though, so awesome !!

Fantastic fab work mate, i tip my hat .

you might get a few pm's soon with some Q's haha

drift kid
27th December 2014, 08:38 PM
Haha cheers dude! Yeah the column really makes it lol, most don't pick it in real life. Any questions will be answered :)

drift kid
31st December 2014, 08:44 AM
#plannomoresurge34407

drift kid
29th January 2015, 02:07 PM
Someone buy this

JDMWheels
10th March 2015, 08:51 PM
Man... Just read all 22 Pages.

So damn cool!

drift kid
11th March 2015, 05:02 AM
Cheers dude :)

drift kid
18th May 2015, 12:14 PM
So i bought some wheels for this lol, hopefully be here around xmas time35401

willa
18th May 2015, 10:14 PM
Yessss! What sizes did you order? And which colour?

drift kid
19th May 2015, 07:34 AM
16x8.5 -6 for all corners in gunmetal ;)

drift kid
25th June 2015, 08:05 PM
First pair rocked up today, super pumped how it looks now.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/25/0b1611fbd202a17828fb1cc66256a898.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/25/20e9a0002af95790fe5ae1aeeaebef45.jpg

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

drift kid
6th July 2015, 10:14 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/06/a89486a96a56361d4bdd3e029a77c412.jpg

Seventy
12th July 2015, 02:32 PM
Looks so good now!

drift kid
5th August 2015, 06:05 AM
Red labels make baby jeesus cry

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/04/5110bfcd2500aab3817d900dc6ad9714.jpg

Matt
5th August 2015, 08:41 AM
Where did you buy your aftermarket v8 engine from? Engineering shouldn't be that tough tho given the quality of the work

Javal
7th August 2015, 11:22 PM
Engineering shouldn't be that tough tho given the quality of the work

Would recommend.

4doors
21st August 2015, 10:40 PM
Sweet hilux man! What's the go with the boys in blue?

Were you driving without it being engineered?

Also love the fact you implemented a lot of the fancy stuff from the Lexus inside the cabin. Holy smokes the electric steering column is so boss in an old lux.

drift kid
24th August 2015, 10:41 PM
Yeah the elec column is pretty rad, definitely needs more comforts, needs some sort of elec assisted steering and aircon. The ute was never engineered, i just kept it registered through the build and then daylied it because i got lazy haha, it'll see the road again oneday, but i have other things to focus on at the moment.

drift kid
24th October 2015, 11:57 AM
2wd front guards yaay

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23/ff6f696dd8ed9326eb01199ac1df6d53.jpg

4doors
24th October 2015, 03:23 PM
Bolt on flares going on soon?

drift kid
24th October 2015, 10:31 PM
Nah will pump the fronts out a little and then make some metal ones for the rear to match the front

wookster
8th February 2017, 04:55 PM
Hey man, you still have this thing? Any updates?

4doors
9th February 2017, 01:49 PM
Yes, it would be cool to see more of this thing.

drift kid
10th February 2017, 06:40 PM
Actually trying to sell it currently of anybody is interested

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

wookster
13th February 2017, 12:41 PM
Actually trying to sell it currently of anybody is interested

8|
Uh, wow.

I really want to say I'm interested, but I'm not sure I could fund it, terrible timing. What price are you looking for?

drift kid
13th February 2017, 12:43 PM
After 5500 which is a steal considering what I've spent and the time i have invested

wookster
13th February 2017, 12:53 PM
After 5500 which is a steal considering what I've spent and the time i have invested

Hotdamn, yeah that is a good price on fabwork. I've been watching this thread for ages now...

drift kid
13th February 2017, 12:54 PM
Well it could all be yours ;)

wookster
13th February 2017, 12:58 PM
I'm seriously considering it... not sure the boss will agree. Gonna chat about it and see if I could ever swing it

drift kid
19th February 2017, 09:31 AM
I'm seriously considering it... not sure the boss will agree. Gonna chat about it and see if I could ever swing it
Sounds like you need to come have a look

Matt
20th February 2017, 10:42 AM
Just turn up home with it and say it followed you home like a lost dog...

Always easier to ask for forgiveness vs permission to begin with.

matt99
22nd February 2017, 10:19 PM
You're wot m8?

wookster
23rd February 2017, 09:57 AM
Sounds like you need to come have a look
I'm keen to. ~12hr drive though :(

Trying to convince the better half she should be a GT starlet locally here so I can get this :D

Gonna PM some questions if you don't mind mate.

drift kid
24th February 2017, 08:08 PM
Yeah go nuts man

drift kid
15th July 2017, 06:48 PM
After removing the power steering pump and simplifying the pulley system on the front of the engine as well as making up a new oil filter relocation block and installing my new mechanical oil pressure gauge i was finally able to install the new twin pass aluminium hypertune radiator. I can't wait to make the hardpipes and fill it with fluids again.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170715/30783583650b9469cfe164674b3ea9ba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170715/1d1854b72710d964b6e056e3576b9664.jpg

LittleRedSpirit
21st July 2017, 02:20 PM
Epic conversion is epic

drift kid
7th October 2017, 09:14 PM
Hypertune throttle body swap is done and just need to re make the intake pipe now.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/c1debf51d6c05195a5b1659b089d5603.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171007/a79725a576b10393ae6e1949fc095f86.jpg

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk