PDA

View Full Version : Need help filling up my guards... Wheel recommendations? (Pics inside)

RetroKeto
12th February 2014, 09:19 AM
Greetings AE86DC! New member and first time poster here, thought I'd introduce myself/ask a question.... My name is Rob, I'm an Aussie who lives in Thailand. Boy, the Thai's sure do love their KE70's!!!! After seing a couple of very tidy examples cruising around where I live, I sought one out for myself and just last Saturday (8th of Feb) I test drove and put a deposit down on a very sweet little SR20 powered Keto complete with roll cage!!! Got it for an absolute steal too! I'll post some pics at the bottom of the post:cool: I take delivery of it on the 26th of Feb, I can't wait!!!

My question is regarding new wheels for this beast. I want to replace the current wheels with some dished old school rims with streched tyres to complete the JDM look. Judging from the pictures below, what do you experts recommend in terms of diameter, width and offset and tyre size? My ultimate goal would be to have the wheels fill the guards nicely and pretty much sit flush with the bolt-on flares, without interfering with my spring seats/guards/inner guards obviously LOL. I also wouldn't mind dropping the rear a tad, either. From the research I've done so far, I read that 14x8.0 is essentially the "holy grail" of wheels for a KE70. I've got my mind set on that, at the moment. It's just I'm unsure of what offset I should be aiming for. So what do you fitment magicians recommend for this car?

The suspension looks to be a stock as a rock apart from the obviously lower front. I know that pictures aren't a good medium for basing wheel choices off, all i'm after is a little push in the right direction, hehe. Much appriciated guys!!!

tl;dr - Check out my pics and recommend me wheel width and offset. Thanks a lot everyone ;)

Rear Wheel:

Front Wheel:

dove grey 64
12th February 2014, 09:51 AM
Hey welcome to dc, depending on how wide your flares are 8 zeros should be good.
I love ssr mk3's on e7's.

drift kid
12th February 2014, 09:43 PM
Man I really don't like the square corners on those guards, with small flares though I'd go a 15x8.5 or 15x9 with zero offset and probably a 195/50 tyre for ease of availability

RetroKeto
14th February 2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the reply guys, you suggestions have been noted :thumbup: I just discovered there is a shop dedicated to selling second-hand old school rims about an hour north of where I live. On the fellas facebook page, he posts pictures of new stock and he literally has a show room full of SSR rims!!! :wub: Hopefully i'll be able to call in there on the way through after picking up the car.

Drift Kid, like many cars in Thailand, this Keto is a little distastefully#modified. But a good base to start from, nonetheless.

Clinton
15th February 2014, 11:47 AM
2 door man right on! first things first get yourself 2 pairs of stock front guards and start fresh. 13x8-10/14x8 on a 185/50 or 55 then make guards fit with a slight roll.

Konakid
16th February 2014, 01:57 PM
15 or 14x8.5 -6 all round 195/50/15 or 185/55 or 60/14

Will sit flush with the guards or very slightly inward by around 10mm, only judging by pics tho. Will be a good place to start and will loook so much better than now!

RetroKeto
19th April 2014, 05:53 PM
Hey guys, thanks so much everyone for your responses. For anyone wanting an update, after a little fixing up of the car (needed new battery and terminals, among other things) oh and a sound system (yes I'm guilty of putting a stereo inside a race car, lol) I finally had a chat to a guy who owns a wheel shop and he has found for me two 15x8.5 and two 15x9.5 genuine Watanabe Type-R's. Sorry for the phone screenshots, best I can do at the moment!

How hard is it going to be to fit these? I'm guessing pretry extensive guard and suspension modifications. But no problem for me because the car industry is notoriously cheap here!!! Also going to need tyre size suggestions too.... So what does everyone think? I like em! :wub:

johl
19th April 2014, 06:19 PM
they sure are nice. run 195/50/15 all round. the 8.5' on the front will be perfect. rears will need some sort of bolt on flair or wider guard

RetroKeto
19th April 2014, 08:11 PM
Glad you like, and thanks for the tyre recommendation! He just sent me a pic of all the wheels laid out and made me awear that one of the wheels is actually not stepped like the other 3, but I don't see this to be a huge problem. Also the fronts aren't dished as much as I'd like but overall I'm pretty happy with them :))

He has also offered me these as an alternative, the specs are
watanabe R 15x8 -6 and 15x9 -13. So many nice wheels and so little cars to fit them too :cries: LOL

Konakid
19th April 2014, 11:08 PM
Nice. yeah 195/50/15 al orund or maybe a 205/50/15 on the rear to make the stretch look even. 8.5 will fit the front easy, 9.5 might poke a bit on the rear

RetroKeto
20th April 2014, 08:55 AM
Can't thank you guys enough for your help!!!! I finish work and fly back home on the 29th, so hopefuly around then I will have some pics for you guys with the wheels fitted!!! Cheers

RetroKeto
23rd April 2014, 10:21 AM
Couple more pics the guy snapped for me, they are in his store now, only 40-50 minute drive to go and he's delivering them to my apartment....... Hopefully around the 29th and 30th ill have some pics of them on the rolla. happy happy happy!!!!