PDA

View Full Version : Tyre review, RE001 vs RE002 vs Advan AD08R

Frak
24th April 2014, 02:49 PM
Thought I'd do a personal review of these three tyres.

They have been fitted to my AE111 Levin, the Levin has minor suspension mods, Japanese Espiler lowered springs, KYB Gear Climb shocks, TRD rear anti-roll bar(19mm) and is fitted with an LSD. Car is wheel aligned by me on a regular basis. Some may scoff at a fwd that actually goes around corners, but if you ever get the chance to drive a modded superstrut, you'll be surprised. The Levin runs standard sized 195/55/15.

When I first got the Bridgestone RE001's I was a bit sceptical, as I as used to paying much more for tyres around that size, previous to these I had run Bridgestone SO-2's for many years, quite expensive but quite good as well.

So after fitting the RE001's I actually had a track day lined up just a little after, at the track I was shocked as to how good these tyres were, especially for the cash, I remember thinking "performance bargain", the tyres gripped very well, no slides, great turn in, little to no noise, it was just point and shoot, very good. I had heard that they weren't fantastic in the wet and as they wore more 'land' would show and they would get worse in the wet. From go to whoa, I never had a problem with wet grip, turn it in and shoot it out, they also wore incredibly good all round I was pleasantly surprised with this. From new to worn they were quiet, did not get noisier as they wore like some tyres do and were quiet across a wide range of road surfaces.

So when they wore out it was time to get some new tyres, the obvious choice were the RE-002's, makes sense, same compound or there abouts(as I was led to believe) and better in the wet(not that there ever was a problem in the wet with the RE001's). First thing I notice is feedback is a little duller, hmmm ok, then after a little while I notice these thing making quite a bit of noise when I corner or take off even moderately, they would howl and squeal, must be tyre pressures, better check them, all ok. So after a while giving them a few weeks to bed in etc, I start upping the ante, WHOA, no front end grip, the lateral slides are shocking, corners I would whip around with the RE001's now become a turn it in, let the front laterally slide(NOT UNDERSTEER) about a metre and then hook it up, bloody hell, what's with these!! I check the wheel alignment and pressures again, all ok. Cornering and taking off gets a few heads turning as these tyres belong on a Hollywood movie set! In the wet they were very good, but better than the RE001's? I don't think so, about the same. but dry weather grip, oh my god, I can't live with these. Actual tyre noise on the road was low and was low across a wide range of road surfaces, but try to take off even moderately fast or even 5/10ths cornering and everyone around would look.

So next set of tyres I do a bit of research and find the Yokohama Advan AD08R, these are quite a bit more per tyre but I am more than willing to pay that if they deliver the goods. First impressions, are my hands connected to the tie rod ends???? The feed back is fantastic, I know exactly what the front is doing, very very impressed, there is a slight amount of tramlining that the Bridgestones never did, but if that's the only downfall, I can live with that, there is also a slight amount of hum from the tyres on certain road surfaces but again I am splitting hairs. The grip is very very good for a road tyre, the turn in and cornering are absolutely fantastic, the grip levels are very good and I think you'd have to work them very hard to see where they fall over. Now I understand these are not semi slick/R compound but as far as road tyres go they are very good and I don't have to worry about the rubber being screwed after a few heat cycles like some of the R compound tyres. It's early days to see what the wear is going to be like, but really I don't care, the grip levels, turn in and feed back are magnificent.

marvis
24th April 2014, 05:22 PM
Nice write up!

What align and pressures?

Did you run 195 55 for all of them? It's a shame they don't seem to do 14's in AUS.

AJPS
24th April 2014, 05:32 PM
i heard the re002 varied a bit depending on factory and the earlier ones and the later ones

the advans sound good

Frak
24th April 2014, 05:47 PM
Marvis, running 33 psi all round, 1.5 neg front, remember superstrut. 2mm toe in, caster 3 deg. Rear is running 2mm toe in, 1.5 deg neg camber.All tyres were 195/55/15

Dave I would probably have to agree with you on where there were made, the RE001's were made here in Adelaide, the RE002's were made in Indonesia and the AD08R's are made in Japan. Do I think this may off affected the difference between the RE001's and RE002's.....Yes. Maybe Japanese RE002's are different, unfortunately in my size we'll probably never get Japanese ones. I remember when I first bought the RE001's and saw 'Made in Australia' on the side I was like "oh shit" but they turned out to be bloody good.

AJPS
24th April 2014, 05:51 PM
Marvis, running 33 psi all round, 1.5 neg front, remember superstrut. 2mm toe in, caster 3 deg. Rear is running 2mm toe in, 1.5 deg neg camber.All tyres were 195/55/15

Dave I would probably have to agree with you on where there were made, the RE001's were made here in Adelaide, the RE002's were made in Indonesia and the AD08R's are made in Japan. Do I think this may off affected the difference between the RE001's and RE002's.....Yes. Maybe Japanese RE002's are different, unfortunately in my size we'll probably never get Japanese ones. I remember when I first bought the RE001's and saw 'Made in Australia' on the side I was like "oh shit" but they turned out to be bloody good.

yeah the aust made bridgestones were bloody good

shame manufacturing is a dying art in here

McLEVIN
24th April 2014, 08:31 PM
Bridgestone do not know what is good for them

dove grey 64
24th April 2014, 10:03 PM
I've had varied results in different sized re001's.
to be brief, great in 14's, crap in 16's and average in 17"

Jimmee1990
24th April 2014, 11:48 PM
I had 195/50/15 RE001 and RE002 and hated them, never checked where they were made though. Thanks for the review Frak, I might give them a try next.

Konakid
25th April 2014, 03:02 AM
RE001 and RE002 are hit and miss. ive had 14" and 15" made in, Australia, Japan and Indonesia. All have been different levels of grip. Ive moved on to the Toyo R1R for street now and its much better than the Indonesian RE002 i had before.

Bring back the Grid 3! Haha

dove grey 64
25th April 2014, 08:54 AM
Best tyre's I've used so far are r1r's in 17", yoko a539 in 12" and yoko c drive 1's in 16"

ae8zn6
29th April 2014, 02:12 AM
Bring back the Grid 3! Haha

I had a set of them once.... and I say once because they lasted for years and still had great grip... Suppose that is a terrible recipe for companies that want to sell lots of expensive tyres :(

Vance
4th May 2014, 11:15 PM
commenting only on re001's and re002's

re001's are awesome in 14's. average in 15's. fucking terrible in 17's.
re002's only experience is in 17's. even worse than re001's. understeering like a motherfucker. and i love a little understeer.