PDA

View Full Version : Press (bushing/balljoints/etc..)

rthy
2nd July 2009, 07:24 PM
looking at getting a decent press, but is there any decent ones to go for?:girl:

tuned86
3rd July 2009, 11:56 PM
Look for the used stuff. You can use vice and some ingenuity :P. Think ball joints are retained by clips from memory.

Square Nipples
22nd September 2009, 05:37 PM
looking at getting a decent press, but is there any decent ones to go for?:girl:

head to your local total tools. they have a decent range. We picked up a 12ton press for under $250.

Square Nipples
22nd September 2009, 05:41 PM
Look for the used stuff. You can use vice and some ingenuity :P. Think ball joints are retained by clips from memory.

you could go for used stuff, but when your talking about up to 10 tonns of pressure on something you dont want it to explode in your face because the pevious owner has mistreated it.

Also balljoints are pressed in as well as a retaining clip.

good luck

shift_rook
22nd September 2009, 05:46 PM
leo if you need anything pressed out, come out for a drive my way, i've got a 30t press

ke70dave
22nd September 2009, 08:54 PM
you can get those "presses" that all they are is a hydraulic jack (little one that you get in utes) and a frame. for bushes and ball joints i think that setup would be sufficient. i think brand new they are only about $300 or something, including the hydraulic jack. thats not bad considering that the jack is "worth" about 150 or something in the shops.

in most jobs on a car it is not that you need a massive amount of force applied, its just that you need a consistant amount of forced applied equally. and also the ability to easily apply force so you can concentrate on making sure its beign applied in the right spot.

here we go! this is what i mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SHOP-PRESS-NEW-HYDRAULIC-WORKSHOP-PRESS-12-TON_W0QQitemZ220480729368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item3355acf118&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

takai
23rd September 2009, 07:34 PM
Keep an eye out on ebay, the little 6T ones regularly go for $70-100.

Sam-Q
28th September 2009, 09:04 PM
how are arbor presses for things like ball joints? not enough force?

Javal
28th September 2009, 09:25 PM
Just don't get a chiwain cheapie. (less than $200).

We bent the press pin on the one at AJPS. Well, I bent the press pin. Fuck knows how, either.

takai
7th October 2009, 11:03 PM
I have a china cheapy, cost me $75 off eBay.
The press pin bent pushing MA61 rear stub axles out. So i merely welded a piece of solid 25mm round on instead and reinforced the join.

Problem solved.

Hokey
8th October 2009, 06:46 PM
yeh a press is pretty simple for the kinda stuff we'd be doing. like someone else said it's just a jack and a frame so just get a cheap chinese copy one. if you bend the pins who cares? not like you're going to throw it out are you?

dont go to total tools either. they're a rip off. ebay is your friend