PDA

View Full Version : Window/Door trim restoration help

Jrad
18th July 2014, 09:33 PM
Hey guys - the irony here is that the panel beater is asking for some restoration help!

I'm having a really hard time getting the paint/what is almost a rubberised coating off the window and door mouldings and trims. Want to get them back to metal to then repaint as the coating is all cracked.

I've tried soaking in thinners/prepsol for ages, sanding it off, scraping/cutting it off and all the conventional techniques but they're ultra laborious.

Has anyone done it before and have any special tips for it that might speed up the process?

Thanks!

Jrad
30th July 2014, 02:14 PM
Worked it out:

Best way was to get it REALLY hot (read, much wear leather gloves) with a heat gun, then scrape it off carefully with a knife. Once it's all off, you can just sand it back like metal :)

Big T
30th July 2014, 07:36 PM
The other thing that works well is a caramel wheel. Put it on the end of a drill and it'll strip through rubber/sticky stuff without damaging paint. Works wonders on sticker residue.

Jrad
30th July 2014, 07:45 PM
We did give the caramel wheel a go, but it was taking more off the wheel than it was off the molds. Do agree though, it's awesome for tape and sticker residue.

anakdagang
22nd August 2014, 02:34 AM
hai, i'm looking some parts for my KE 70 wagon 2 door . actually i'm for my middle glass panel and rubber, can any one help me