PDA

View Full Version : TA40 daily drift s*** wagon

Tore
31st July 2014, 09:49 AM
Well, the time has come to introduce the other member of my shabby collection.
This is my first car that actually worked right off the bat (My AE86 being the first car that I bought)
Was getting a lot of pepper for not spending the cash on a KE70 or another AE86, but my choice conscious and in the inherent specs of the car:
2T engine, T40 transmission, hydraulic clutch and T312 rear axle (Compatible with Zenki AE86 LSD`s)

I`ve owned it for a while now, and the first thing I did to it within 1 year was to swap out the leaky T40 for a TA60 T50 transmission and driveshaft, cost me all of, in your currency, 85 aud, and a few days of work (Became intimate with the layout of the car and took my time)

And well, winter came, snow came, found out open diff was shit, not just for sliding around but also because of my stupid driveway which is uphill and slanted so only the rear wheel with the lightest weight on it would spin etc, used it as was for another year and got tired of the one-wheel burns, ya`ll know the story.

I had Underground Garage slap an overhauled OEM AE86 Zenki LSD into the OEM TA40 diff carrier, making it not so OEM TA40 anymore:
Probably not the best for dry tarmac drifting but snow driving is where it`s all at here in Norway when basically all tracks shuns low power DIY cars that looks a bit shabby, or as they say it, "we dont want no destruction derby here thank you very much"

Well, winter came last year, and I had a blast linking entire sections at full throttle, which unfortunately spelled the doom for 2T (Which in retrospective conclusion was actually not running right after I tried a TA60 2T A/T), or well, she still ran but sounded like an arctic steamer.

But before winter last year, I also came across this from Underground Garage:

It was always my plan to swap it in, but on my initiative, so the car ended up sitting in the driveway since fall with no progress on it until exactly one week ago when the weather was so hot (Up to 36c some days) that I decided f*ck sourcing AE86 struts and ventilated brakes before I do the engine swap, just do the engine swap anyway so at least it works :P
Ready, set:

Go:

And currently its like this:

And basically where progress kind of stopped till I can get the wiring done right, the hardest part every time..