PDA

View Full Version : How does Subaru tie into the ae86 family?!?!?!?!

ToyotaPower
8th August 2014, 07:07 PM
I've been pondering this for a while now and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. How does the Subaru BRZ tie into the ae86 history line? it isn't a Toyota but is based off the ae86, did Subaru have something to do with the ae86 that I'm missing? :S If this is posted in the wrong area of the forums I'm sorry I'm new. :))

cbjaust
8th August 2014, 07:24 PM
some context would help...

Big T
8th August 2014, 08:04 PM
Uhhhh they supplied the motor for the new 86. Toyota built the chassis, Subaru supplied the engine. It's happened a few times in the past. Alfa Romeo and Nissan(?) got together in the late 80s as did Holden and Nissan in the 90s so it's not a new thing.

ae8zn6
9th August 2014, 03:05 AM
To be honest Big T, Fuji Heavy (ie, Subaru) built the whole thing... There are many places on the chassis that are stamped Subaru just to spite Toyota owners it would seem.

Toyota were heavily involved in the design process (and actually instigated it) and did much of the exterior design and suspension tuning. Toyota were also the side that set some of the defining characteristics of the car that were heavily debated and opposed by Subaru, ie NA, RWD and lightweight focused. They also 'gave' Subaru the D4S direct injection system as part of the deal, which was directly against the advice of the company hierarchy.

Having said that, Toyota own a stake in Subaru in the order of 20-25%. Therefore Toyota do well when Subaru do well.

In direct answer to your question Subaru have no link to the AE86. The BRZ project is the ZN6 project and that is the only 'link'. Again, if Subaru had their way the project would hardly have paid any homage to the AE86 as it would have been substantially heavier, Turbo and AWD.

There are also rumors that Subaru are fed up with the whole thing and want to pull out of the project altogether, but that is all internet rumor and hearsay.... So who knows how valid it is or isn't.

ToyotaPower
9th August 2014, 04:19 AM
They supplied the motor for the new 86. Toyota built the chassis, Subaru supplied the engine. It's happened a few times in the past. Alfa Romeo and Nissan(?) got together in the late 80s as did Holden and Nissan in the 90s so it's not a new thing. Oh alright that makes sense, like ford and Toyota with the prism. I guess I should of know Toyota doesn't really like flat four tech. :thumbup:

Matt
9th August 2014, 06:00 PM
First of all welcome to our forums...

The share Toyota have in Subaru I feel played a played a significant part in the partnership, along with cost savings and things like that. Partnering up to save costs is not something new to Toyota, as they have done in the past with our local manufacturer holden. The Nova ( which is an AE92 Corolla) and the Lexcen ( Holden Commodore) were effectively the same cars.

Toyota is also partnering up with BMW to produce the new model Supra which will be very interesting to see how it is received around the world. Toyota is also still selling ALLOT of Corollas and Camrys world wide and not having the capacity to produce the cars could play a role too.

Subaru fans are angry the car is NA, Toyota fans are angry it has the boxer engine and myself am wondering how long this arrangement will last.

Konakid
9th August 2014, 06:20 PM
Subaru fans are angry the car is NA, Toyota fans are angry it has the boxer engine and myself am wondering how long this arrangement will last.

haha sums it up perfectly

evil86
9th August 2014, 08:59 PM
Its a Subaru chassis and motor with Toyota's direct injection.

The idea of the car was there but the design in my opinion could of been better.

I'd still buy one though :)

dove grey 64
10th August 2014, 07:31 PM
Its not the first time toyota has had a boxer engine and toyota threw subaru a lifeline due to shithouse sales of the current shit subaru lineup.
True story bro

AJPS
11th August 2014, 03:13 AM
i cant wait for the partnership to end - wish subaru were never involved - but it would of been a lot more expensive

Matt - the toyota lexen thing was partially australian govt mandated

Mazda and ford had a massive partnership with a lot of shared platforms and cars

ae8zn6
11th August 2014, 03:38 AM
Gotta think about capacity as well...

The factory producing 86/BRZ was open 24/7 and there was still a waiting period of around 12 months by the time they were officially available... There is still a waiting period...

If Toyota is still selling corolla and camry at the same rates they simply would not have the capacity to manufacture the 86 as well.

If the partnership ends than the 86 will simply stop. This would mean that aftermarket support would also die out as there would be a limited number of vehicles to produce parts for and as such limited incentive.

It would be a sad way for a good concept and initiative to end. At the very least they did prove that people are still interested in an affordable RWD sports car despite the global downturn and push towards more green vehicles.

As I have said a number of times, I love my car. Many may not agree with me, but I think they did a fantastic job within the budget, safety and emissions constraints or the modern automotive market.

AJPS
11th August 2014, 05:58 AM
Gotta think about capacity as well...

The factory producing 86/BRZ was open 24/7 and there was still a waiting period of around 12 months by the time they were officially available... There is still a waiting period...

If Toyota is still selling corolla and camry at the same rates they simply would not have the capacity to manufacture the 86 as well.

If the partnership ends than the 86 will simply stop. This would mean that aftermarket support would also die out as there would be a limited number of vehicles to produce parts for and as such limited incentive.

It would be a sad way for a good concept and initiative to end. At the very least they did prove that people are still interested in an affordable RWD sports car despite the global downturn and push towards more green vehicles.

As I have said a number of times, I love my car. Many may not agree with me, but I think they did a fantastic job within the budget, safety and emissions constraints or the modern automotive market.

I am not 100% sure it will stop

it is in toyotas best interests at attracting a younger market and regaining some lost respect

and +1 for doing well with the constraints!

ToyotaPower
15th August 2014, 04:42 PM
I wish there was a do over button lol and the car was fitted with a new Toyota motor or maybe a 3jz :O that would of had me taken a lone out to buy one XD

Matt
16th August 2014, 04:21 PM
Where does the 1jz and 2jz numbers come from... Is it as simple as 1st generation and 2nd generation?

cbjaust
16th August 2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I the numbers are the generation.

From wikipedia:

"Engine codes

Toyota Motor Corporation has produced a wide variety of automobile engines. The company follows a simple naming system for their modern engines:

The first numeric characters specify the engine block's generation The next one or two letters specify the engine family
The suffix (separated by a dash) specifies the features of the engine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines#Engine_codes)

dove grey 64
18th August 2014, 04:52 PM
The new 86's power output/balance is directly related to the old ae86 power/balance, fast enough to be fun and cheap enough to be modded.
Hence why its called the 86, not 2000gt or supra.

Matt
18th August 2014, 06:25 PM
One thing I think many people are forgetting about the 4age powered ae86's. If you compare them to the equivalent cars from 1984, you would be comparing against an XE Falcon / VK commodore.

So for a 4 cylinder they were as quick if not quicker than the v8 equivalents from factory.

Jacobxxx
20th August 2014, 12:49 PM
Guys, you know how its a modern version of a light weight NA 4 cylinder car and you keep asking for a 6 cylinder turbo motor in it. You know how you sound right, right?

Jacobxxx
20th August 2014, 12:50 PM
right

johl
20th August 2014, 08:45 PM
guys?

milan_ke70
22nd August 2014, 09:33 PM
pecky plz.

84TLU
22nd August 2014, 09:56 PM
It ties in like an adopted child who inherited the family name. The genes are totally different.

Konakid
24th August 2014, 12:26 AM
Pecky i feel ya. Would like to see toyota take on the M3/350Z/porsche cayman with a new supra 6cyl though

AJPS
25th August 2014, 04:23 AM
Pecky i feel ya. Would like to see toyota take on the M3/350Z/porsche cayman with a new supra 6cyl though

ISf?

ae8zn6
25th August 2014, 07:51 PM
New supra essentially has to be aimed at GTR35 due to the timing and its estimated pricetag...