PDA

View Full Version : First time to Sydney Motorsport park

bazz84
17th September 2014, 09:12 PM
Hi all. Planning to go to smsp on Friday for the "drive your own car" event.

Was wondering if any one else is going?
Or has any advice?

Stock engine refurbished (recently run in)
Stock brakes with a1rm pads
T3 coil overs
Cusco cage
Beginner driver lol
The mighty kuhmo ku31! Lol no time to get new tyres or a descent wheel alignment.

Jimmee1990
18th September 2014, 12:04 AM
Just take some minor tools, sockets, spanners, screwdrivers and cable ties. Maybe a spare fan belt if yours is a little old. Otherwise just drive and have fun.

bazz84
18th September 2014, 12:29 AM
Cool got it all. How's the track on the engine. Do I need to overfill oil? Or with those tyres I'm unlikely to get any lateral gs to cause starvation?

Willofan
18th September 2014, 12:58 AM
Another 1/2ltr of oil won't hurt. Just take it easy 1st time out and you will have fun. Just be careful... It's addictive.

Are you thinking about becoming a member of a CAMS affiliated club? Southern Sporting Car Club has several AE86's running in Interclub Supersprints and we have something on every month. This weekend we are at SMP (Sunday) on the full Brabham circuit with over 110 entries. Should be an excellent day.

Jimmee1990
18th September 2014, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't bother overfilling the oil, 4A-GE sumps are pretty reasonable and you definitely won't get surge on those tyres. Just change the oil and filter a day or two before so it's fresh, otherwise it'll be fine. A standard 4A with a sensible rpm limit (or standard if you're just running the factory EFI gear) will last a very long time if it's built properly, only thing that will kill it will be over-heating the oil.

Matt
18th September 2014, 10:30 AM
Cover up your speedo and concentrate on being smooth.

Matt
18th September 2014, 10:33 AM
But most of all have fun

bazz84
18th September 2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Willofan I wish I knew about that car club! I ended up joining the mx5 club (they have a lot of na 1600cc cars) and went to wake field a fortnight ago with the same set up (didn't do to well 1:23:44 lol but it was awesome) was thinking of getting ku36 when I fix my Watanabe wheels.
The car didn't use any oil (I bought a refurbished engine for a great price and it seems a little underpowered compared to my oils leaky engine but otherwise ok)

Is it too late to sign up for the 21 September?

Andy San
22nd September 2014, 01:18 PM
If you're running a bigport motor you might have issues with it filling the cam covers and then draining out of the breather hole through turn 1.
Depends on how hard you are revving it, but I had a lot of issues with this a few years back when I ran there at WTAC. Just monitor your oil level and you'll be fine