PDA

View Full Version : V8 ae86 time attack build

Truckinduc
6th March 2015, 07:59 PM
Hey guys. I'm seriously considering building my 1uz powered ae86 to compete in the global time attack series.

I bought the the car already 1uz swapped but most of the work was shotty at best so I'll be re doing it all.

If I decide to go all out the 1uz will be pushed back 16 inches for weight distribution. I'll fabricate a rear independent suspension setup. Mustang cobra 9" differential. Double a arm front suspension and an extended wheelbase. I'm also considering chopping the top around three inches for decreased frontal area.

Motor or wise ill be supercharging the 1uz with an eaton m112 blower, looking to squeeze around 400whp out of it.

I plan on running 18x11 wheels with 285/35-18 tires. Huge for an ae86 I know, but bear with me.

Im thinking 400whp, sub 2200 lbs wet, big contact patches and some aero and I'll have a pretty potent little track car.

My my only real progress so far has been the fuel cell mount. I have tons of other projects and I tend to work on multiple things at once.

Opinions? Tell me I'm stupid, whatever. Here is where it goes.

AJPS
6th March 2015, 10:36 PM
ambitious!

seems like overkill

especially in the rim department - smaller diameter and bigger profile will be better

cars like this usually end up feeling very unbalanced - what sort of tracks will you be racing on?

the engine choice and power figure seems about right - although NA would be cooler - reduce complexity, weight and under bonnet temps

its a big project so just make sure you have the time, funds, motivation, dedication to do it properly

good luck

Truckinduc
7th March 2015, 02:55 AM
I agree with you and all your points. It's an ambitious project but nothing I can't handle.

Track wise ill be sticking to the south east unites states. Barber Motorsports park, road atlanta (only global time attack track I'll be able to attend), NCM Motorsports park, VIR.

I've gone back and forth several times on the wheel tire size issue. I finally decided on the large size for a few reasons despite the unsprung rotating weight penaltie. I'll have to run a DOT tire, which limits my options. 245 width would be my max size with a 15" wheel. With the 18"s I can actually spend less on tires that will last slightly longer due to circumference. Break away characteristics will be less progressive and harder to manage at the limit, but a longer wheelbase and wider track width will help with that. Wheel size would also limit my effective brake size.

None of the typical ae86 chassis restrictions are likely to stay. Wheelbase will be close to +6" front and +4" rear. Track width will be +4" per side. I'll either be running kw clubsports for a c6 z06 corvette or I'll be building my own pushrod suspension to mount shocks directly in front of the engine (which will be mounted under the windshield). Basically I'll be starting with a blank slate chassis, although I have to keep most of the stock floor pan and shock towers.

Motor- I'd love a naturally asperated high revving v8. The ls7 is my dream motor. Unfortunatly that's way out of my budget. I'm trying to keep this entire car under 10k dollars. The 1uz is a good engine that could be swapped out at a later date. If the 1uz with a blower fits, an Ls motor will easily fit. I'll be building an intake manifold with air to water intercooler for the m112. I'm hoping to run between 12-14 lbs of boost on the stock motor, while keeping AIT as low as possible of course.

Thanks for the reply, I love talking and discussing ideas.

Truckinduc
7th March 2015, 03:06 AM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/4/0/4/543345.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/4/0/4/543346.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/4/0/4/543347.jpg

m112 blower, bottom, I'll be cutting up and highly modifying.

Wheels, (big ones, small ones are for my golf)

and I started on my fuel cell filler neck.

Matt
7th March 2015, 04:22 PM
Should be allot of fun, look forward to seeing more progress.

drift kid
8th March 2015, 09:00 AM
That is a massive gain in wgeel base, why so much? Why not just start with a car more suited to your dimensions? Seems like a crazy amount of work to compete in one race of a season

lolwat
23rd May 2015, 10:29 PM
have you had a good read through rules etcetc??
this will defs be a pro class car with the mods your talking about, yoko is doing 295/35's now

Bozu
25th May 2015, 12:29 AM
Are you familiar with the driftworks AE86? See this link for the build thread: http://www.driftworks.com/blog/dw86-complete-build/

I thought maybe it is some good reading material/inspiration/info

joeschmo_57
25th May 2015, 02:06 AM
Fuck yes! Go big or go home. What do you mean by pushrod suspension?

drift kid
19th June 2015, 06:04 AM
Fuck yes! Go big or go home. What do you mean by pushrod suspension?
Pushrod suspension is when the shock/spring setup is mounted entirely on the car and a "pushrod" is used in it's place to transfer all of the usual suspension loads to the shock/spring setup, usually via cantilever arms. This reduces unsprung weight and puts the suspension is a more accessible position.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk