PDA

View Full Version : Pt Adelaide Motorsport Park

Konakid
7th July 2009, 02:21 AM
So im guessing most of you have heard about it when the idea was announced last year, well there has been some progress after it stalled for about 6 months due to economic slowdowns and other factors.

Pulled this from NS, its the latest on the issue, looks like its going ahead after all!

Great news for us, will ahve grip track up to v8 supercacr standards, dedicated drift track (probably tight and technical) speedboat course, skidpan and best of all, a dragstrip for our fucking state finally!

A radio segement featuring ANDRA CEO Tony Thornton and SA Motorplex Consortium Spokesperson (that's what they called it on the radio) Anna Micheel aired today in Adelaide at approx 9:40am on ABC 89.1 radio. It was a look at the state of play of a possible venue being built in SA and they took talk back input. It was a great segment to say the least, with all bases covered.

Here are some of the highlights;

Anna Micheel stated;

1 - The private consortium of backers for the venue had approx 25million dollars to develop 'Stage 1'
2 - The SA Government had stalled talks regarding identified land in the Gillman area (near Pt Adelaide) since the massive Sport Compact street accident in Magill
3 - The private consortium was willing to accept the land on a loan, lease or outright purchase from the Government
4 - She admitted that the venue would not cease the road toll, but go a long way to offering a viable alternative to street racers
5 - She outlined the venue would be multi-purpose! It would house a dragstrip, complete circuit track, drift track, speedway track, skidpan and be able to host such watersports as jet boats etc!
6 - That the venue would allow an outlet for motoring enthusiasts to build, test and use their vehicles in a safe enviroment

Tony Thornton stated;

1 - There has not been any drag racing for many years, and as such the road toll victims have never been allowed to use such a proposed venue
2 - He agreed with Anna regarding the working on cars and developing them for testing, racing and hobby persuits.
3 - He said that whilst drag racing was a 'hobby', ANDRA had done a study that revealled that the 'hardware' the Australian drag racing scene had totalled over 400million dollars - which outlined the sport was a serious affair.
4 - He explained that the land should be made available for free as other sports with less financial investment by the competitors (football etc) had facilities provided for free by the Government.
5 - He also explained how the sports legitimate members disliked being tarred with the hoon tag when the media label incidents on the road as 'drag racing'
6 - He said the sport was not responsible for the hoon element on the streets and a facility would not deter street racers but rather offer a viable and exciting alternative to the street.
7 - He also explained the huge success venues in WA and NSW have enjoyed with facilities provided by the local Governments, and how they had contributed to a lower road toll.

Talk back callers then were introduced;

Mary from Unley (sounds like a knocker right!) came on an agreed a venue needed to be built citing the concerns the public had with Skateboarders a few years back, and how local councils responded and built Skate parks - which in turn all but elminated the problems associated with street skaing etc. This point was well received and a surprise analogy that had the segment presenters and even Tony Thornton agreeing upon!

Next a guy came on saying he was from the 60's and 70's car enthusiast and by joining a car club and learning the various safe ways to enjoy a car he had moved foreward in his life and his skills behind the wheel were better thanks to controlled and safe racing enviorments he had enjoyed.

Another caller said something but I forget what he said......it was positive none the less.

The segment wrapped up quite quickly with the presenters saying they will keep their attention on the situation and follow it closely.

It's worth mentioning the ABC radio program dosen't have a huge FM style listener base, but is a big political sounding board/public voice in SA....so it was a worthwhile thing to be apart of.

I do not know if there is a recording of this segment, but needless to say the public awarness of the need to have a facility in SA is growing everyday....there is an election in March for the SA Government, and you bet your best G-String that allocating land for a world class motorsport facility that cost the Government nothing financially (remember we are in a global recession) yet delivers a new sporting facility....and allows street racing an alternative to being smeared across a Gumtree will get which ever political party a massive voter base from the SA community. On that basis I predict an announcement would be made between now and March 2010...and once the announcement is made....the 'Consortium' has 25million reasons to start work straight away!

Watch this space race fans!

RJ

P.S. - The circuit element to the 'Motorsport' park that is proposed could have something to do with V8 Supercars wanting to run a 2nd event in SA Any track that still has a V8 Supercar round uses that event as the 'big show' to make the venue name.....imagine how much impact a new V8 race at a new facility in SA would have....imagine the profile the new venue could develop overnight! I think this thing might just get up and racing will return to SA very soon.

Chairs with flares
7th July 2009, 02:26 AM
We already have one; also known as Garden Island...

;-)

R&D Mechanical
7th July 2009, 03:49 PM
sweet cant wait for that one to be done !

Frak
7th July 2009, 05:11 PM
:thumbup: Alright!

Micknofx
7th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Good news for sure!

RyGuy86
7th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Sweet when its finally finished and opened to the public my grandkids will have someplace to slide their futuristic hyro-electric cars!

nah only joking, its going to take ages before we can drift there.. but it will be great!

obey wan boenny
7th July 2009, 07:28 PM
I hope it all goes agead, but i wont get excited about it untill im driving out there :P

FAST EDDIE
7th July 2009, 07:34 PM
in 10 years time work will start!

KKUSTOM
7th July 2009, 07:38 PM
sexellent, like benny i will be happy when i am on the track.

thanks for the update konakid

Konakid
7th July 2009, 08:01 PM
If its anything like USAIR in Wisconsin ill jizz in my pants.

http://www.shinyamichimi.com/USAIR.png

http://www.mmracing.biz/USAIR.jpg

Konakid
7th July 2009, 08:11 PM
fucking yld, "if they build it, i will come"

benzo
7th July 2009, 08:24 PM
Read this on ns.com this morning, sounds good. Hopefully work can start asap

USAIR looks sweet, I'd do a big skid on it. yeah

3P Forky
7th July 2009, 09:05 PM
HOLY FUCKBALLS....im moving to adelaide if the track resembles that...

Konakid
7th July 2009, 10:31 PM
Watch this.

http://vimeo.com/5433615

driftnick13
7th July 2009, 10:33 PM
would be good to have alot of different layouts like the USAIR track or Ebisu, run different level groups all at the same time on different parts of the track

3P Forky
7th July 2009, 11:20 PM
OH GOD...
http://www.redstaplerchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/happy%20tissues.jpg

Frak
7th July 2009, 11:38 PM
fucking yld, "if they build it, i will cum"

fixed :thumbup:

HWKAE
7th July 2009, 11:53 PM
track round the corner.....nice!!:))

Konakid
8th July 2009, 11:59 PM
Watch channel 7 tomoro night (FRIDAY) at 6pm, there is a segment on it.

Mr Awsome
9th July 2009, 01:25 AM
hope they do that would be awsome

3P Forky
9th July 2009, 07:14 PM
its on tonight at 6pm channel 7 news

NathanKe70
9th July 2009, 07:46 PM
well that lasted a whole 1 minute.

skizzamods
9th July 2009, 07:47 PM
guess eoi so not heaps to talk about..
talem bend sounds alright.. well closeish to me so id be happy with that!

3P Forky
9th July 2009, 07:59 PM
hmm...that was a different track...

it wasnt the same people as the Pt Adelaide track...

who knows...could mean 2 tracks :D

driftnick13
10th July 2009, 12:37 AM
hmm...that was a different track...

it wasnt the same people as the Pt Adelaide track...

who knows...could mean 2 tracks :D

2 tracks for us hoons? dreaming lol