PDA

View Full Version : Best Argon/CO2 mix for MIG welding AE86 steel?

Velociraptor
27th October 2015, 05:22 PM
Hey everybody, first post.

I am just learning to MIG, and am attacking the rust in my rear quarters.

Can anybody advise me as to what the ideal gas would be? I have read that C25 (75% Argon, 25% CO2) works best for auto body work.

Matt
27th October 2015, 06:08 PM
It's mild steel you are welding so any argon mix will work well.

Take your time and practice on non important panels first.

ke70+ae92
30th October 2015, 02:15 PM
plus keep the heat low, its so easy to blow holes in such thin steel

lildavo
1st November 2015, 09:35 PM
Just to add to this...Where are people getting cheap gas from?

Matt
2nd November 2015, 12:26 AM
I bought a bottle for around $300 and pay $80 for a refill. The bottle is around weist high

Big T
2nd November 2015, 06:56 PM
Gasweld will have the purchasable bottles. Much better than hiring for the occasional user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaibeecee
4th November 2015, 01:56 PM
For body work 0.6mm wire is best

75% Argon 25% C02 is preferable (aka argoshield lite/supashield 25 etc)

purchasing a bottle and paying per refill is much better than shitty rental rates (~$12-20 per month)

use lower amps, more wire for more solid tacks.

Philip
7th November 2019, 10:06 AM
Hello, I'm just starting to mig weld too, using a 93% Argon, 5% Carbon Dioxide, 2% Oxygen (Hobbyweld 5), seem to work well when I keep the gas pressure low and weld short lengths then let it cool down.

RoelandVerhoeven
27th March 2023, 02:17 AM
Hello!
MIG welding typically uses a shielding gas to protect the weld from the atmosphere, which can cause defects in the weld such as porosity, oxidation, and contamination. The choice of gas depends on the type of metal being welded, the welding wire used, and the welding conditions.
As you mentioned, C25 (75% Argon, 25% CO2) is commonly used for MIG welding on auto body work because it provides good penetration and a stable arc. It is also a cost-effective option. However, other shielding gases such as 100% Argon or a mixture of Argon, CO2, and Oxygen may be better suited for welding certain metals such as aluminum.
Ultimately, the choice of shielding gas depends on the specific welding application.