PDA

View Full Version : Tripods - Recommendations

v-tec
6th January 2009, 06:25 PM
Hey guys what do you use for your photography?
Wanna get some night exposure shots so i want to get a tripod. Im not too interested in buying the greatest one out there, but obviously i dont want something thats going to wobble when someone coughs next to it lol.

Anyone know of any bargains, or anything they can recomend?
I was reading up recently, apparently if you want anything worth spending the money on you should budget for around $180... i didnt really want to spend that much, or at least not right now seeing as i have no job. But i thought id gather some opinions and go from there.

Cheers Guys

todd
6th January 2009, 06:43 PM
hey mate, price really will dictate quality in this circumstance. basicly thats how it is with all photographical goods. size will be another factor, the bigger the more pricey obviously.

in all my degree photography i only use manfrotto tripods, they are very well made and solid, and certianly wont fall apart or wobble around the place. they are the top really, but there are other people at uni who get away with using cheaper lighter aluminium brands (cant remember off the top of my head) but usually find them not quite perfect for their application.

if u can afford it, choose something heavyish, that have good build quality. otherwise its pretty pointless and u will regret forking out money for something, then it breaking and u will have to do it all over again.

your best bet is to really go into a photographical shop and deal with the salesmen, sure some dont know jack shit about what they are selling, so find the oldest looking guy and u should be right haha.

JUST DONT BUY CHINA! ty goodluck

ps make sure u get something with horizontal and vertical tilt planes. otherwise it will suck ass if ur on a hill/whatever.

MeZ Prod
6th January 2009, 08:30 PM
another plus 1 on manfrotto i got a mate (when i was noob)
to buy me new manfrotto legs and i bought his old head cost me 280
i was pretty happy

edit: im using a video camera (sony fx7)

weighs a bit but dont know how much inrelation to a camera

letsgohunting
7th January 2009, 12:53 AM
Manfrotto
Gitzo

Expensive but will last you 50+ years if you take care of it.

Sturgey
7th January 2009, 01:33 AM
i got an ebay one for 30 bucks
works perfectly :)

shakes
7th January 2009, 09:54 AM
I brought a slik branded one for about $80 thinking a tripod was just a tripod. the head gradually undoes itself and gets very loose (read annoying) I'd also doesnt go quite low enough for my liking. but the clips for the leg's and how the camera mounts I've got no complaints at all.

superbmobile
13th January 2009, 03:41 AM
years ago when i used to film sports adventures and such i used a brand called pro light some china junk it was purchased from Harris scarf e I believe and set me back a small but swell $30 coin worked real well to never a problem at all.

letsgohunting
13th January 2009, 12:34 PM
If you're serious buy a good one and you won't have to replace it for at least a number of years

v-tec
13th January 2009, 02:29 PM
Yea makes sense, ive seen a few of these manfrotto ones around i might see if i can scrape some money together for one of them

dave2221
13th January 2009, 02:31 PM
check www.haldex.com.au

they import all camera stuff... not everything is on the website, but if you call they will sell (wholsealse)

MeZ Prod
16th January 2009, 12:30 AM
grant i could probably show you mine at parklands???

v-tec
16th January 2009, 12:24 PM
Yea man for sure, that would be great!
Im probably going to borrow a mates later on, for a bit for some night shots and ill go from there