PDA

View Full Version : READ - Wyong Automotive Racing Precinct

skit
10th July 2009, 10:34 AM
Hi All,

The Wyong Shire Council has a project on the cards to develop a motorsport facility. For those who don't know, Wyong is roughly half way between Sydney & Newcastle.

The scope of the project is yet to be defined, they are looking for expressions of interest from the public, & established clubs so that they can identify potential user groups to cater for.

I contacted our local MP, John McNamara back in September last year when I first heard about this. I even voted for them because of it! Now it seems the project is coming to fruition & it needs input from the public to ensure that:

1) It is seen through to completion.
2) What is established will serve the requirements of the public well.

Below is the information on the Wyong Shire website, the link is

http://www.wyongsc.nsw.gov.au/about/council_notices.html

Wyong automotive racing precinct

Council has resolved to recognise in principle the need to establish a regional Motor Sport and Driver Education facility within the Wyong Shire.

As a result, the Wyong Automotive Racing Precinct (WARP) project has been established, with a view to to exploring the potential to create a Motor Sport facility which could cater for a broad range of activities, including:

* Driver education facility (both general and race car education)

* Car and motorcycle testing and racing facility for car enthusiast and club use

* Dirt bike tracks

* Mountain biking facility

* Karting

* Car dealer demonstration areas

* Potential drag strip venue for street racers; and/or

* Concert / event space.

Give us your views

Council is now conducting initial planning investigations in order to identify user group requirements for such a facility.

As part of these investigations Council is seeking Expressions of Interest (EOI) from potential user groups to determine the level of interest if such a facility was established in Wyong Shire and to provide a list of requirements including the range of facilities required and potential usage level of such facilities.

Based on the outcomes of this EOI process, Council will utilise this information to investigate possible locations within Wyong Shire for development of a Wyong Automotive Racing Precinct.

Your comments are appreciated - please take a minute to fill in our survey (PDF - 78 KB) or this text version (RTX - 93 KB)

This is a JPEG of the form mentioned above.

I would ask that those of you who are members of either material driving clubs (e.g. Initial Drift, Project D, etc) or other responsible driving forums distribute this message so the word is out. How many of us check the Wyong Council website frequently?

Perhaps we can get a formal ae86dc reply on the form, there must be stacks of NSW/ACT members.

What the council may not understand is how far motorsport enthusiasts travel to events. Expressions of interest from within the Wyong shire alone will probably not get this over the mark. My opinion is that we need to show that there are clubs with hundreds of members situated around NSW who would be prepared to travel to use the facility, if it is built to cater. The central coast is looking for kickers like this to raise its' profile.

This sounds like a good opportunity to get a Muralan style facility established, with a skidpan for youth driver training (which I am a great advocate of).

Your thoughts please.

DR86TY
10th July 2009, 02:19 PM
Im all for it,

As we are loosing oran park, we will need a new drift circuit and skid pan to replace whats being taken away.

Drift circuits also accomodate go carts and driver training.
Along with a decent skid pan, these also cater for driver training, advanced driver training and general practice days.

Put me down if you need a voice

skit
10th July 2009, 03:05 PM
Great.

Apparently SAU are doing a formal submission, I hope we can arrange something similar with the ae86dc mods.

Anyone who knows anyone in autocross/gymkana/hill climb clubs etc, please pass on the information. Bottom line is, formal club responses will carry much more weight than many replies to council from individual enthusiasts.

orido
14th July 2009, 01:54 AM
yeh i strongly encourage this, councils have a habit of screwing projects like this up all the time

blake.
14th July 2009, 10:19 PM
t'would be epic if goes to plan

green_boy_91
15th July 2009, 12:56 AM
awsome ! hope all go's well and actually gets done! :)

skit
15th July 2009, 08:07 PM
Submissions are due by 17th July (i.e. this friday).

Those of you that are keen, I suggest you download the form & email it back to the council please.

To be honest, I'm surprised at the lack of interest from dc members. There are plenty of guys from n/c, c/c, syd & act who attend track days. Sadly I have not had time to contact mods directly & organize a formal response on behalf of ae86dc members. I kind of expected this thread to gain a bit more interest that it did.

sundee
15th July 2009, 10:50 PM
i just wish we had 3 events a week like they do at QR and Archi :( :(
i wanna move to QLD

skit
17th July 2009, 01:35 PM
Received feedback from Council today, apparently they have had a large number of submissions, which is a good start.

However the EOI for the facility had a broad scope including karting, motorbike tracks etc so we won't know how much interest there was from our drift/autocross/skidpan/short circuit/hillclimb" sector.

The next phase is looking for areas appropriate to build a facility in line with the submissions & proposals received by council.

OMG866
19th July 2009, 11:26 AM
I really hope they go through with this and build a Mountain Pass hehe.

maybe in my dreams :(

enigma
19th July 2009, 12:08 PM
buttondary tip most likely

pen15
21st July 2009, 09:51 PM
im all for it maby a partition is in order to get something going maby just that little faster