PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove sound deadener

scrape
14th July 2009, 07:22 PM
i heard dry ice will make the sound deadener go brittle and shatter when attacked with a hammer and cole chizzle...... anyone done this befor or got any other methods of removing this extra weight?

and is there any sound deadener on the underside of floor pan?

sonsta
14th July 2009, 07:23 PM
i did my red ke with a hammer and chisel dan, it wasnt much fun.

dry ice is the way to go but, no idea where you would get it from but

shift_rook
14th July 2009, 07:23 PM
yeah dry ice i've heard is a good method, probably the easiest though you have to be careful how oyu handle it.

scrape
14th July 2009, 07:27 PM
i can get dry ice from brisbane

Axentrik
14th July 2009, 07:28 PM
i just used a hammer, chisel and a screw driver to get off the bits in awkward positions. didnt take that long at all.

scrape
14th July 2009, 07:30 PM
and does it leave any sticky bits on when done like that

marvis
14th July 2009, 07:47 PM
It varies from car to car on how eay it will come off. But dry ice is probably the easiest and quickest method.

marvis.

.ady
14th July 2009, 09:24 PM
dry ice and a hammer ! :D theres a video in technical articles if you would to have a look looks really fun

scrape
14th July 2009, 09:29 PM
fark yeah maaaad im on it

--Redwork--
14th July 2009, 09:33 PM
Having never tried dry ice I can't comment... But it HAS to be easier than just chipping away at it normally... And I agree with marvis.. I varries considerably from car to car.. Some are damm easy, while others are just rediculous..

distant00
14th July 2009, 10:07 PM
anyone from Melb. want this done.. i might be able to get some dry ice...

sundee
15th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Personal Testimony! Dry ice works! it works well, and leave your chizzle in the shed.. the only hard part to do is the deadener on the firewall.... but just leave the dry ice on the section of the floor for a few minutes then move the ice to another section then get your hammer and wack the floor and it shatters like an easter egg.. it makes it all brittle.. its good fun if u like breaking things! ;) on u can get Dry ice from BOC gas

redsprinter
15th July 2009, 03:26 PM
dry ice works ... but you need alot of it to do a whole car .... can get expensive .. i say spend $15 @ bunningds for a heat gun ..... i find the heat gun method the best ... if you get the sound deadner at the right temp you can almost pull the deadner off the car in 1 piece . and you dont damage the shell by using a chiesel and hammer.

sundee
15th July 2009, 03:32 PM
^^ mine cost me nothing. u actually dont need that much. i did the whole car with about 3 kg of it

marvis
15th July 2009, 03:32 PM
I use heat gun for hard to reach places.. Like the firewall etc. I paid 30$ for dry ice to do my car.

redsprinter
15th July 2009, 03:38 PM
^^ mine cost me nothing. u actually dont need that much. i did the whole car with about 3 kg of it

really ? i cant remeber exactly how much i used but it was about 2-5kgs of off cuts and it only did the floor pan.

but each to their own .

cky767
15th July 2009, 03:52 PM
I used 1 kilo for mine and didnt need that,

It could have been done with no sound deadener, just a hammer and big flat blade screw driver. dont bother with a heat gun it will just get all sticky and horrble.
give it a few love taps with a hammer and you'll find the screw driver just slides straight under it.

marvis
15th July 2009, 06:16 PM
What would be the best way to get rid of this junk?
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/2/9/18520.jpg

Thanks,
marvis.

cky767
15th July 2009, 07:18 PM
I have the same problem currently and haven't really tried yet. maybe wire brush and some wax and grease remover or some other solvent?

gumbie
15th July 2009, 07:24 PM
Grinder + Wire wheel for that shit marvis, gets really dusty inside though lol, then use petrol to clean all the little bits off.. couldn't even tell my old car even had sound deadning in it! :P

scrape
15th July 2009, 08:18 PM
does anyone know how much weight we lose gettin rid of the tar?

shift_rook
15th July 2009, 08:21 PM
some cars have 30kg's i can't rmemeber for sprinters it's 10-20kg. my cars ahd it removed but i have to form of sound deadener stuff i'm goin to use, probably end up wayin 1kg but hopefully it'll stop me hearing every single rock under ym car

ae71
15th July 2009, 08:43 PM
dont strip off the stuff on the underside. its there to prevent corrosion

sundee
15th July 2009, 10:35 PM
I used 1 kilo for mine and didnt need that,

It could have been done with no sound deadener, just a hammer and big flat blade screw driver. dont bother with a heat gun it will just get all sticky and horrble.
give it a few love taps with a hammer and you'll find the screw driver just slides straight under it.

FAIL!... hammer and chizzle or screwdriver gives a rank finish as pictured below! (no offence marvis) trust! i tired this 1st and it gave me the craps beause it looked like below.. dry ice gets it off clean!

^^my dry ice cost me nothing because i got it from work.. its was only bits n pieces.. scrap really.. i put it all in little freezer bags to stop the floor getting all wet. and BTW use some good gloves , gardening or welding gloves

What would be the best way to get rid of this junk?
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/2/9/18520.jpg

Thanks,
marvis.

that is just going to require patience and a hammer n chizzle.. :cries:

cky767
16th July 2009, 12:07 AM
mine didnt turn out like that, its a really neat finish, maybe mine was just different.

sonsta
17th July 2009, 11:33 AM
get one of those wire brushes that go on the end of a drill marvis

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/56238.jpg

good for getting all those last little annoying bits

marvis
17th July 2009, 12:34 PM
I got a hardcore one that goes onto a Grinder.. It got me in the leg yesterday... Wasn't fun.

sonsta
17th July 2009, 12:45 PM
yeh they work good ey

good for polishing stuff to

gumbie
18th July 2009, 12:16 AM
When i wire wheeled the hole inside of my car, all my clothes had little bits of steel wire stuck in them everywere..

Took the missus ages to pick them all out..

Golberg
18th July 2009, 12:28 AM
When i wire wheeled the hole inside of my car, all my clothes had little bits of steel wire stuck in them everywere..

Took the missus ages to pick them all out..

And then you think:
"Damn! I'm sure glad I was wearing safety glasses"

Or alternatively:
"Damn! I maybe should have been wearing safety glasses"

scrape
18th July 2009, 05:53 AM
dry ice purchased and sound deadener is gone............it peeled of in dinner plate size pieces....cheers for the hand sonny.
not that it wasnt a one person job sonny just happened to be there when dry ice turned up