PDA

View Full Version : No Battery Isolator = FIRE!

GOODY
19th July 2009, 09:59 PM
I thought I would post this up for everyone to have a look at:P

Yesterday arvo I gave my engine bay a good degreasing and wash down, I then locked the car up in our shed thinking all was good.
The next arvo when I went to take the car out I found a big suprise..

The car had some how managed to spark the starter motor and start to continuously wind over, and seeing as the car was in gear it then smashed into my brothers car pushing that into the wall of our shed bending the door open..
It looks like it kept on winding over laying some nice skids in the process up until the battery went flat, by this time a fire had started at the fuse box in the engine bay melting it completely and making the whole bay black8|

This might seem pretty bad but I know it could of been a shitload worse if the fire had kept going, but luckily it stopped by itself:D

I'm now going to invest in a battery isolator switch which I should have done a long time ago lol.

Enjoy!

Gunner
19th July 2009, 10:04 PM
That sucks man

GOODY
19th July 2009, 10:06 PM
Yeh it really sucks but at the same time I'm really lucky that's all that happened!
Bonnet is sanded back waiting for paint tommorow, and I've pretty much spliced in a new fuse box too. Engine bay is cleaned up but theres a bit of black stain that won't come out.
Hopefully all goes good tommorow because I've already pre-payed for the drift event on tuesday...

slide86
19th July 2009, 10:07 PM
tractor engines will do that do you.

but seriously, you are lucky....real lucky. hope you get it back upto spec soon

GOODY
19th July 2009, 10:08 PM
Haha thanks mate, engine/turbo etc. looks to be fine so far which is a plus.

DRFTR86
19th July 2009, 10:31 PM
sucked it happened but, good old nissan engine, can do skids without even being driven

sideways_ae86
19th July 2009, 11:06 PM
thats sucks reminds me of my mate and his car fire :(

DAMO46
19th July 2009, 11:19 PM
wtf happend there sideways

MINIHORSE
20th July 2009, 01:46 AM
hey theres a plus, you now look like you have raw titanium intake and exhaust man-fold

sideways_ae86
20th July 2009, 01:52 AM
Well he was building his little mazda for a year spent about 30k was about 3 weeks from being completed and there were doing something in the rear of the car which casused a spark and well it went up along with the car :( very sad day man also burnt the nose of his falcon and his mums astra.. the picture of the cars was from when he got it so i didnt have a recent picture of it.

Ash

wtf happend there sideways

DAMO46
20th July 2009, 02:10 AM
shit thats no good

Beau
20th July 2009, 08:36 AM
Sorry man it was actually me. I was on one of my Acid and pineapple juice trips again, i found myself at your house and i was actually trying to race lightning Maqueen. but he is a slippery bugger!!

Nah real sorry to hear about all this. Im suprise you didnt hear it carrying on like a Roger. But i guess its just one of those things etc.

GOODY
20th July 2009, 09:14 AM
Haha yeh my first thought was someone had broken in, done a skid, crashed then taken off! But somehow they managed to keylock the door behind them lol..

I wasn't actually at home all night, but a bunch of mates were here and my brother but none of them heard anything.. I don't think the car actually got started because I had the fuel cut off flicked over luckily!

driftke70
20th July 2009, 01:21 PM
Haha yeh my first thought was someone had broken in, done a skid, crashed then taken off! But somehow they managed to keylock the door behind them lol..

you know you can lock corollas from the outside without a key hey?

GOODY
20th July 2009, 01:30 PM
The shed door which is a deadbolt lock..

marvis
20th July 2009, 03:39 PM
Pictures of skids?

Sounds pretty lucky.

GOODY
20th July 2009, 07:32 PM
I'll grab some pics tommorow, nothin too spectacular but then again, noone was driving the car haha.

Car is now going and the bonnet has been painted, hoping all goes good tommorow at drift prac :)

Nicko
21st July 2009, 09:22 PM
The car had some how managed to spark the starter motor

Gotta love backyard builds!

Always a mystery!

GOODY
21st July 2009, 10:22 PM
Lol yeh I think the main cause was the over-deagreasing I did. The car was wired up professsionally :)

Nicko
21st July 2009, 10:24 PM
A grease short burned out your engine bay?

Glad I don't have your engine bay!

GOODY
21st July 2009, 10:26 PM
..No, overdegreasing my engine bay then a bit too much water pressure into the wrong areas with a gurney aswell as not driving the car after this was done looks to have started the fire.

Beau
21st July 2009, 10:40 PM
Gotta love backyard builds!

Always a mystery!

My car is built in a backyard..

shakes
13th August 2009, 06:18 PM
..No, overdegreasing my engine bay then a bit too much water pressure into the wrong areas with a gurney aswell as not driving the car after this was done looks to have started the fire.

I'm trying to work this one out my 4x4 as well as lots of mates ones have copped literally hours upon hours of high pressure water to keep the engine bays in a "workable" condition and I've never heard of this.

GOODY
14th August 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to work this one out my 4x4 as well as lots of mates ones have copped literally hours upon hours of high pressure water to keep the engine bays in a "workable" condition and I've never heard of this.

After talking to a few people I have heard of this happening a few times, but until it actually happened to me I didn't think it was possible.
Just a guess but 4x4's might be a bit better sealed in electrical places then something like my car?

shakes
14th August 2009, 04:50 PM
strange, did you locate exactly what started the starter cranking over? sound's more like the starter earthed causing it to fire... the pressure washer didn't dislodge a bad connection or something somewhere?

Did you have a fuseable link in the car?

GOODY
14th August 2009, 05:45 PM
strange, did you locate exactly what started the starter cranking over? sound's more like the starter earthed causing it to fire... the pressure washer didn't dislodge a bad connection or something somewhere?

Did you have a fuseable link in the car?

Yeh it's a bit weird, the fuse box in the engine bay looks to be where it all started, that was the only thing that was on fire and melted really.
And there was no fuseable link on the car before the fire happened:embarassed: