PDA

View Full Version : what computer can i use to run an 18rg? other than an 18rgeu comp.

70wagon
21st July 2009, 08:43 PM
hey all
im looking in to going injection and turbo on my 18rg and no that its going to be to har to find actuall 18rgeu stuff so i have the following questions:
can i use a 22re computer and are they remapable?
would it be posible to use most of a 22re loom?
what else could i use to convert to injection from a 22re or 4age?
plemum?
throtle body?
all with modifications of course

any help appreciated

jarrad

Javal
21st July 2009, 10:19 PM
hey all
im looking in to going injection and turbo on my 18rg and no that its going to be to har to find actuall 18rgeu stuff so i have the following questions:
can i use a 22re computer and are they remapable?
would it be posible to use most of a 22re loom?
what else could i use to convert to injection from a 22re or 4age?
plemum?
throtle body?
all with modifications of course

any help appreciated

jarrad

The answer to all of these is yes - but.

I am unsure whether the 22RE inlet manifold fits, but i doubt it does. Measure it up and compare, but you'd probably be better off having something made up.

I suggest going aftermarket management, there is NO point in using the 22RE computer.

Basically i am suggesting a full custom job. Even if you used all 22RE gear, it would still be slower than your twincarb 18R-G, as nothing would be set up right for it. Oh, it'd redline at 6.5k or thereabouts too.

Pm me if you with to discuss it further.

FAST EDDIE
21st July 2009, 10:37 PM
it will be so much more expensive and a headfuck than a 4agte ca18 or sr20 and if u get it going it will be blowing up left right and centre in teh first instance do it right and put a different engine in!!

350hp4agte
21st July 2009, 10:39 PM
i 2nd that /\/\/\/\

i cant see many gains only restrictions from using a 22re ecu or motor for that matter

i saw a 22re engin on ebay last night for i think around 100 bucks manifold and all check it out

70wagon
21st July 2009, 10:44 PM
well the reason i would consider this is beacuase i can get 22re and 18r shit cheap or free. and im a first yr apprentice so cant afford to much unlike u eddie.

70wagon
21st July 2009, 10:45 PM
and i already have the 18rg

Javal
21st July 2009, 10:53 PM
PM replied.

I think even doing a 3SG conversion would be easier.

FAST EDDIE
21st July 2009, 11:00 PM
yeha but have u added up how much it will all cost? heres a rough list
plenum 200-i dunno 600
injector upgrade 200 at leas
ecu probably have to use a microtech or haltech 1000-2000
turbo manifold 500 at least
turbo+oil and water lines 500 if u use a t25
exhaust however much
bosch fuel pump 200

all the bits i forgot $1000

that adds up to 3900????

ke70dave
21st July 2009, 11:09 PM
megasquirt ecu!

compatible with anything, and if its not, you can make something that is

requires you to read ALOT, and perfectly understand the efi system. if your prepared to do that its an excelent system.

if your going to be DIY'ing somethign together, there is no point in spending 1000's on ecu's and tuning. you want it cheap and easy to fix. megasquirt is the way to go.

70wagon
21st July 2009, 11:10 PM
yeha but have u added up how much it will all cost? heres a rough list
plenum 200-i dunno 600
injector upgrade 200 at leas
ecu probably have to use a microtech or haltech 1000-2000
turbo manifold 500 at least
turbo+oil and water lines 500 if u use a t25
exhaust however much
bosch fuel pump 200

all the bits i forgot $1000

that adds up to 3900????

turbo- already have an rb20 with lines
clutch 350
have a w55 box
exhaust free from work
turbo manifold i am making
plenum i will most probly make
i have the throttle body
flanges $20
so all i will need is a fuel pump $200
and the computer ??

i no u say that because u have been there
but i am earning 250 a week and cant exactly afford 3g's for an sr20

thats why im considering doing this.

thanks

Javal
21st July 2009, 11:13 PM
Then yes a megasquirt might be a better option as far as an ECU goes.

Pm again replied.

Hen may possibly be a nut
21st July 2009, 11:18 PM
If you like tinkering it is possible. I remember seeing a 22RE in an RA65 once, turboed on the stock ECU, and maybe different injectors and AFM. Also I know of a turboed 3T using some form of Datsun ECU (from memory).

Though if you enjoy driving the thing more than lying under it, an aftermarket computer is a very good idea. It makes it heaps easier to get everything running with the random engine parts you can scrounge up.

If you are looking for more info about turboing it there is an incredibly huge thread on Toymods about turbo 18RGs.

Hen

EIDT - Another idea for a cheap, programmable ECU is Delco. You can pinch them from EFI Camiras?? and they are remappable and there seems to be a bit of support for doing wild things with them

70wagon
21st July 2009, 11:18 PM
megasquirt aye?
dus any one no wer i would find one of these?

thanks

Jonny Rochester
21st July 2009, 11:20 PM
The first thing you want is the 18R-GEU intake manifold, throttle, fuel rail and injectors. And of course a EFI fuel pump of some sort.

Then you want a water temperature sensor, the 2 wire sort, off a Camry or 4A-GE or whatever.

You want the electrical plugs for the injectors, and TPS and coolant sensor. The electronic dizzy off a 18R-GUE will do.

Then you want any programable computer you can find. The cheapest and simplest would be a second hand MicroTech MT-4 fuel only computer. Wire it up from scratch, but only about 8 wires are needed.

Today I was actualy tuning a AE71 with 2T-GTE and MT-4.

70wagon
21st July 2009, 11:27 PM
The first thing you want is the 18R-GEU intake manifold, throttle, fuel rail and injectors. And of course a EFI fuel pump of some sort.

Then you want a water temperature sensor, the 2 wire sort, off a Camry or 4A-GE or whatever.

You want the electrical plugs for the injectors, and TPS and coolant sensor. The electronic dizzy off a 18R-GUE will do.

Then you want any programable computer you can find. The cheapest and simplest would be a second hand MicroTech MT-4 fuel only computer. Wire it up from scratch, but only about 8 wires are needed.

Today I was actualy tuning a AE71 with 2T-GTE and MT-4.

ive tried tracking some 18rgeu parts with no luck so thats why i was thinking of this.

i have the 18rgue thermostat housing so there is several plugs on that already to go

cheers

Javal
21st July 2009, 11:46 PM
ive tried tracking some 18rgeu parts with no luck so thats why i was thinking of this.

i have the 18rgue thermostat housing so there is several plugs on that already to go

cheers

The 22R uses an electronic dizzy, put the guts of that into your 18R dizzy.

.ady
21st July 2009, 11:47 PM
yes megasquirt is ideal for 18rgs i used to be in the 18rg scene but ive changed since i sold my ra28 but yes many people tend to use megasquirt more info on toymods

Jonny Rochester
21st July 2009, 11:51 PM
If you want a trick N/A motor, you can replace your carbs with EFI throttle bodys bolted to the sidedraft manifold. A company in Australia makes them, used to be called EFI Hardware I think, but it would all add up to a bit of money. And not so suited to turbo.

The 18R-G head has no provision for injectors, like what the 4A-GE has. So if you can't find a 18R-GEU manifold, you are going to just find any old EFI manifold that faces roughly the right dirrection, (idealy with provision for injectors) and make it fit. Start with a alloy plate and make the holes to fit the head. Then chop the old flange plate off the new intake, and use a aluminium welder...

Javal
22nd July 2009, 12:02 AM
If you want a trick N/A motor, you can replace your carbs with EFI throttle bodys bolted to the sidedraft manifold. A company in Australia makes them, used to be called EFI Hardware I think, but it would all add up to a bit of money. And not so suited to turbo.

The 18R-G head has no provision for injectors, like what the 4A-GE has. So if you can't find a 18R-GEU manifold, you are going to just find any old EFI manifold that faces roughly the right dirrection, (idealy with provision for injectors) and make it fit. Start with a alloy plate and make the holes to fit the head. Then chop the old flange plate off the new intake, and use a aluminium welder...

I've discussed this with him. An 18R-GEU inlet would be best for his application, short of making a custom one.

Golberg
22nd July 2009, 10:05 PM
I've discussed this with him. An 18R-GEU inlet would be best for his application, short of making a custom one.

This is true, but genuine 18R-GEU gear is really hard to find.

You'd have better luck trying to look for a complete 18R-GEU I'd say.

DAN-86
26th November 2009, 07:32 PM
old topic i know

but just thought id add in that yes, EFI 18RG parts are hard to come by.

Just bought a EFI manifold, EFI thermostat housing, stock ECU and the injector wiring loom, and it cost a pretty penny. also got a 18RG turbo manifold and a T25 on it. this celica is gunna get up and go :D

Btw, a 18RG on twins is quicker, and the induction noise is awesome :)

The 18RG i got has flat top pistons with a lower compression, going to run it on solex twins to iron out the bugs, then slap EFI and turbo on, and boost the biatch!!!

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/8/29815.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/8/29816.jpg

Javal
26th November 2009, 07:39 PM
The standard computer will not like boost.

DAN-86
26th November 2009, 08:14 PM
I know that

It was all part of a package. guy didnt want to split it up :) aint stupid lol.

Do it once, do it properly.