PDA

View Full Version : Grip on the cheap side

hitoriko
25th July 2009, 08:25 PM
Hi all

i just got my 86 shell today (woo) and its going to be used for track duties mainly at winton. im looking at a cheap build on the suspension i would love it if i could keep it under 1k as im just going to be a beginner on the track and i see no point of spending 3k+ on a suspension that im not going to need.

So with that in mind what can you reconmend?

Currently its bog stock - i'll be running a 4AGE with minor work nothing crazy

cheers

fantapants
25th July 2009, 09:41 PM
tyres.

then and only then improve things one at time as you improve and reach the limits of your ability an the cars grip :)

you will learn soooooo much and gives you longer to save for some better quality as your only doing a small thing at a time :)

first up id replace all the bushs - see dave at ajps.

good fluid flush in brakes and clutch also help for reliability :)

good luck :)

hitoriko
25th July 2009, 09:55 PM
ok at the moment im running
13x7 Superlights with i think 10+ offset on semi slicks
but i dont have springs or shockers in the read (sitting on bumps)
fronts are aus spec standard shocks and springs.

so im thinking replace all the bushes, lower front and rear springs and shocks, front rear stut braces, swaybars and adj panhard rod and it should be a good base to track on?

then as i go on i can upgrade things correct?

so what would you guys suggest as a good basic setup:

Bushing kit:
Front Shock:
Front Springs:
Rear Shock:
Rear Springs:
Strut Braces:
Sway Bars:
Adj PanHard (on car):

and a $ figure would be great also! :D

Sam-Q
26th July 2009, 11:17 PM
how would you like to earn some more money for your mods? I have an unusual offer to swap shells from yours to another ae86 model with no rust but can't be street registered. If your interested then please send me a PM.

hitoriko
26th July 2009, 11:59 PM
you have pm

takai
27th July 2009, 12:22 AM
As far as it goes i would do the following

Bushing kit: Leave what is on there standard for now
Front Shock: AGX will take most of your budget, so use ExcelG SW20 fronts ($99 each)
Front Springs: Otomoto adustable suspension sleeves, 325lbs/in fronts ($299 inc spring)
Rear Shock: KYB ExcelG as well, VP Commonwhore. ($59 each)
Rear Springs: Whatever you can get your hands on around 225lbs/in
Strut Braces: Cheapest front strut brace you can get
Sway Bars: Stock front bar, remove rear bar
Adj PanHard (on car): Cheapest you can get.

That setup will yield you quite a reasonable car, should steer quite well and as you get more money you can go to a 3.5link, and better springs.
Next items on your agenda should be brakes though.

Konakid
27th July 2009, 12:51 AM
Bushing kit: Superpro full car kit ~350
Front Shock: KYB Excel G short stroke ~ 250
Front Springs: Any 6kg ~200
Rear Shock: KYB Excel G short stroke ~150
Rear Springs: 4.5kg ~200
Strut Braces: 2nd hand jap, ajps rear seat brace 350 all up
Sway Bars: Stock
Adj PanHard (on car): Whatever ~150

total around $1800 but you wouldnt bother going to the track with any less.

TYRES!!!!!!!

Spend good money on tyres, bang for buck Khumo KU36 semis are about 170 a tyre in 205/50/15 this is very cheap handling.

Intense
27th July 2009, 04:06 AM
First thing I'd do is find yourself a good bucket seat. Something that holds you firm, if you have money left over, then go spend it on suspension.

2 reasons for this.

A bucket seat that hugs you, that you strap yourself into and won't let you move around is going to provide you with an incredible amount of feed back as to what your cars actually doing.

The second reason is that you'll have proper bracing from the seat so you can just sit there and handle the car, you won't need to brace yourself for corners or anything like that and you can focus on driving your car rather than keeping your face from smashing into the window every left turn.

Front shocks, I'd see what condition your ones are now, if they're not blown, leave them in.
Springs are important so get yourself something around 6kg at the front and 4.5kg at the rear, you can go softer if you like or harder, depends on you. I've found 6kg front lets you shift the weight of the car forward and back pretty easily and the nose doesn't dip immensely under braking, but it does enough so you can load up the brakes properly. With softer springs you'll get more body roll but this can be countered with thicker sway bars.

Dial up the castor to max and get some xt130 LCA's from the wreckers to get yourself some negative camber instead of the standard positive camber. You'll get much better steering feedback and more grip when turning.

VikingDrift
27th July 2009, 10:00 AM
yeah dude camber arms best cheapest mod for front end grip eh i'v got sigma bolt ons in my rona and the turn in was so much better!

and intense, haven't you seen footage of the old school touring car guys racing on bench seats?? all you need is to brace on the opposite door with your spare foot.... right guys?? lol :P

hitoriko
27th July 2009, 01:55 PM
Bushing kit: Superpro full car kit ~350
Front Shock: KYB Excel G short stroke ~ 250
Front Springs: Any 6kg ~200
Rear Shock: KYB Excel G short stroke ~150
Rear Springs: 4.5kg ~200
Strut Braces: 2nd hand jap, ajps rear seat brace 350 all up
Sway Bars: Stock
Adj PanHard (on car): Whatever ~150

wouldn't have the part numbers for those shocks whould you?

takai
27th July 2009, 02:56 PM
Go look in the GSL Rallysport sponsors section, the part numbers are there.

Dont bother with bushings for now, they dont change too much unless you are using new semis.

takai
28th July 2009, 06:05 PM
If he is on a budget of $1k, spending $400 on ANY bushing kit isnt worth it for now. Sure, when he has more money then buying a bushing kit is all well and good, but his first post gives a $1k budget.

Edit: fyi mine is a bitsa. No one supplier had an entire kit available, LCA are "Nolethane" brand, trailing is Superpro and one stock. Castors and sways are Whiteline.

Konakid
28th July 2009, 06:30 PM
wouldnt bother with 1K, save for another month or so and make it worth your while.

2K on suspension is still only a very basic setup.

ke70dave
28th July 2009, 07:53 PM
to kona kid's reponse (#14): there is no need to buy everything at once, im still buying suspension parts after starting to modify my car around 3yrs ago.

also note that everyone on here is quoting brand new prices (well mostly)

keep your eyes pealed in the for sale section.

only things i woudlnt buy 2nd hand are bushes and shocks. the rest see what you can pick up cheap!

i think the mods should go like this:

front springs: 100 or under (2nd hand)
front shocks: 250 or so (brand new) spend a little more on front shocks than rears
rear springs: 100 or under (2nd hand)
rear shocks: 150 or so (brand new, kyb 343113's work well)
corona arms OR camber plates: around 300 (allowing for new ball joints and bushes on corona arms)
panhard rod: $120 (whiteline ebay, i think they still have them)

so by now you have a nicely lowered car that will handle pretty well (not the best but ok) assuming you have good tyres too.

and you've spent aproximately $900. you might also want some of those RCA's, i think they go for like 150 or so?

then when youve learn to drive that well (ie a few months) you would have saved some more cash, get that bush kit everyone is talking about, ajps prices seem reasonable (i still have to make that purchase myself...)

i dont mean to sway people from buying from sponsours, but if your low on budget you need to find ways to save cash, and 2nd hand stuff is a good way!

also remember, whatever you think you will spend on your car, double it, and then double it again, that will give you a realistic number:P

hitoriko
28th July 2009, 08:07 PM
Well the fact is that my shell is completly stock as a rock no engine no gearbox now i need to beable to push it around and up down the drive way - thats the main concern - then i'll be going for the engine and the gearbox - i have 3 engines so im looking at getting what i dont currently have (suspension and brakes mostly) im in no hurry but i liek to work every weekend or so just so i can see the car becoming something otherwise i lose interest

in any case i just want to make a good base at least that way worst comes to worst and i dont want to track it i can still make it RW and have it as a daily but anyways.

So far this is what im thinking for a beginning:

Bushings kit: stock for now (only replace as needed so ones that are cracked etc..)
Front Shock: KYB Excel - g
Front Springs: Lovells (Sports Low)
Rear Shock: KYB Excel - g
Rear Springs: Lovells (Sports Low)
Strut Braces: Whatever i find cheap
Front Sway Bar: Whiteline Adjustable
Rear Sway Bar: Stock
Adj PanHard (on car): AJPS

then on to brakes whats a decent pad and disc to use front only the rear will be stock drums

anastasios
28th July 2009, 09:26 PM
what are you going to do about steering? do circuit guys use quaifes and stuff? they dont really need more lock do they?

Adsie
28th July 2009, 11:51 PM
So far this is what im thinking for a beginning:

Bushings kit: stock for now (only replace as needed so ones that are cracked etc..)
Front Shock: KYB Excel - g
Front Springs: Lovells (Sports Low)
Rear Shock: KYB Excel - g
Rear Springs: Lovells (Sports Low)
Strut Braces: Whatever i find cheap
Front Sway Bar: Whiteline Adjustable
Adj PanHard (on car): AJPS

then on to brakes whats a decent pad and disc to use front only the rear will be stock drums

Thats basiclly what I used when first starting sprints and modified the rest as I had the money. Maybe forget about the adjustable sway bar for the beginning and get RCAs depending how low the Lovells springs are. With pads I ran lucas as they were cheap and heard good things about them. Had no real issues with them. Trying the QFM A1RM pads on the front and HP-X on the rear this year, would use these again over the lucas though. For rotors just slotted RDA will be fine.

hitoriko
28th July 2009, 11:53 PM
what about rear drums? only decent thing i found were Mu's

takai
28th July 2009, 11:56 PM
what are you going to do about steering? do circuit guys use quaifes and stuff? they dont really need more lock do they?

I run a quaife steering rack now, but for the first couple of years (due to a quaife stuffup) i didnt. No real issue with the stock one. I run PS arms as well.

what about rear drums?

Rear drums will be fine, just replace the shoes if need be.

rthy
29th July 2009, 09:47 AM
Bushings kit: Superpro
Front Shock: Gabriel Ultra Celica GT4 (st185) front shocks with some spacers made up of washers from bunnings ($160pair shocks, kyb excel G was about $200-250, $6 washers)
Front Springs: AJPS 8kgmm springs ($200 pair?)
Front Brake pads: TRD Street Blue (altho QFM would be a cheap alternative)
Front disk: RDA7500 ($115pair)
Strut Braces: any jdm ones ($50-100 off ebay?)
Front Sway Bar: stock
Other: Whiteline RCA ($220 new from autobarn, probly $100 second hand)
Cusco camber tops ($350 new)

Rear Shock: Gabriel Ultra suzuki sierra ($90?)
Rear Springs: AJPS 6kgmm springs ($200 pair?)
Adj PanHard (on car): Whiteline ($120 new from autobarn, $100 second hand, ajps $150 oncar adjustable)
Rare pads: Green Stuff (or QFM)
Other: Stock LSD

pretty much the same as setup in my old trueno
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1825/dsc00719o.th.jpg (http://img148.imageshack.us/i/dsc00719o.jpg/)
i had some whiteline adjustable swaybars but where pretty crap so just used stock ones with new bushings and felt alot better

alot of ppl would disagree with the shock brand choice, but because they where designed for a different (heavy) car they suit the spring well and was a very aggressive setup, and they where made in America!

unfortunately never got to try this setup on the track, but x9000+ better than my pervious std shocks and cut spring setup lol

Robo86
29th July 2009, 11:16 AM
good posts.

6/4 springs, new kyb shocks, xt130 lcas, re001 or better tyres. front and rear swaybars. awesome start :)

Wiggles
29th July 2009, 01:34 PM
When it comes time to look for bushes, check out a prothane kit from the states.
You can get a full kit (4 link + p/h rod + LCA + swaybars + end links) for under $200 delivered from ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=prothane+ae86&_sacat=See-All-Categories

hitoriko
29th July 2009, 08:27 PM
thanks for all the help guys!

i can get KYB shocks through work and i'll get lovells springs the same way - just looking at a whiteline pan hard rod and then some strut braes and i'll be on my way!

keep the help coming guys this is turning out to be a great thread!