PDA

View Full Version : sc12/14 supercharger oil

ae86ln
26th July 2009, 11:42 AM
does it really matter what type of supercharger oil you use, like from holden or something, or does it have to been from toyota. ive tried searching but it must be on the old forum.

thanks lew

Nikkojoe
26th July 2009, 12:12 PM
Most people I know just use the oil from Holden.

fatke
26th July 2009, 10:04 PM
recommend use toyota stuff if ur from melbourne i can organise u sumfin coz i work at toyota

tc-rolla
27th July 2009, 03:47 AM
^ +1.
use the the fluid that is for you s/c.
mate had a 3.3L whipple sc ad used powerdyne (i think) fluid, and they really dont like it, fucked the fins.

use toyota fluid for toyota blower. it's probley cheaper too.

ae86ln
27th July 2009, 10:58 AM
thanks but im from newcastle

Hen may possibly be a nut
27th July 2009, 06:57 PM
Don't worry about it at it. Use olive oil if it's all you've got. All the oil does is lubricate the gears which join the two SC lobes. It isn't under any crazy loads or needed to do anything fancy. I think the recomended SC oil is very thin, so if you're using different oil, use as low a weight as you can (0W or 5W or so).

I've used SC12/14 for about 5 years. First SC12 came straight from the wrecker and I never even checked if it had oil and it lasted a couple of years until the clutch on it died. Next SC12 had an equally mysterious background and lasted a couple of years until I removed it for an SC14. That was filled with whatever motor oil I had to hand and works fine.

Hen

Nikkojoe
28th July 2009, 12:33 AM
^ +1.
use the the fluid that is for you s/c.
mate had a 3.3L whipple sc ad used powerdyne (i think) fluid, and they really dont like it, fucked the fins.

use toyota fluid for toyota blower. it's probley cheaper too.

Nope, its really expensive for a small syringe of which you need 2 to fill the charger. A lot of people use the holden fluid because its cheaper and it actually fills to capacity.

But as Hen said, any oil will do. Heck IIRC someone I know used gear oil on the sc12, worked fine.

reecegze
28th July 2009, 03:34 PM
I used trans oil for 4 years. Syntrax 70w 90. Its thick to start of with but with use of the charger it becomes very thin