PDA

View Full Version : threaded sump plug

pogi
26th July 2009, 04:34 PM
hi, my friend just called me and told me he did his sump plug on his ae82 4ag rolla and was wondering if theres any easier way of getting it out other than taking whole sump off

Gunner
26th July 2009, 05:03 PM
vice grips, screw them up so they are ust too tight to do them up by hand, then get a pair of multi grips to close them, then try.

pogi
26th July 2009, 05:13 PM
i dont mean its rounded ? i think he done the bolt up too tight

corknose
26th July 2009, 05:17 PM
drill it out

ke70dave
26th July 2009, 05:39 PM
drill it out

not really the greatest suggestion considering its like a 17/19mm bolt.....

also not forgetting steel pieces arent the best thing to have floating around inside your sump.

if its just done up too tight....un do it?

if its stripped then smash a small socket on it (something imperial will be slightly smaller than the metric) and un do it that way.

becareful dont hit it tooo hard or you'll just bend the sump, its only thin metal.

Gunner
26th July 2009, 05:45 PM
if it has a copper washer, a little love tp on the head of the bolt may free it up

corknose
26th July 2009, 08:06 PM
he means its been done up to tight and destoried the thread on the bolt not the head

pogi
26th July 2009, 08:50 PM
yeah cal's right, if anyone has any ideas that would be good if not he wants to know if anyone has taken sump off without pulling engine out

corknose
26th July 2009, 08:56 PM
should be bolts all around the bottom and it should come off no need to take engine out i dont think

Gunner
26th July 2009, 09:58 PM
if you shock the bolt, by hitting it on the head of the bolt, it may free it up, either way to do it properly the sump needs to come off.

if you supplied a little more info, you may get a bit more help.

pogi
26th July 2009, 10:45 PM
what tapping it with a hammer ? yeah i dont know much info about it either all he told me was, sump plug doesnt undo, he was told to try pry a little bit of force between sump n plug whilst undoing it? any other suggestions

Gunner
26th July 2009, 11:17 PM
yes, works wonders, give it some just not to much.

force between the sump and the bolt may make it worse.

if all else fails but a big breaker bar on it.

Golberg
26th July 2009, 11:19 PM
From what I have seen on the internet people seem to think a "threaded bolt" is some sort of bad thing. Typically all bolts are threaded, and I'd worry if they weren't.

What people actually mean though, is a "cross threaded" bolt. Where one does up a bolt on an angle and ends up cutting a new thread and ruining both the bolt and the nut.

In answer to your question. Just replace the sump, its stuffed.

Gunner
26th July 2009, 11:24 PM
it could just be very tight? if he hasnt even made it budge.

Golberg
26th July 2009, 11:49 PM
This is true, but if he's honestly managed to get it that tight then chances are the sump will never be the same, even if the bolt is successfully removed.

corknose
27th July 2009, 12:48 AM
either that or hes gone to undo it and its just spining,

reecegze
27th July 2009, 02:18 AM
another option would to leave the bolt in and tap a new thread into the sump.

todd
27th July 2009, 02:50 AM
http://beingwife.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hammer.jpg??

im going to side with golberg though, replace the sump or forever thy sump be leaketh.

VikingDrift
27th July 2009, 10:05 AM
no all wrong haha :P not cross threaded, just over tightened.. same thing when you over tighten a diff backing plate filler bolt, cos it's goin into such a thin bit of female thread it only strips the base of the bolt, all you need to do is pull on it as you twist with vice grips, or lever it out with a screwdriver as you twist so the good threads can catch and start. shouldn't be too hard i'v done it heaps of times (not the over tightening bit the fixing it bit haha)