PDA

View Full Version : 20v + T50 - what to do about speed sensor?

paulv
30th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Looking at shoe horning a 4age 20v into an older carburetor vehicle.

Have a T50 from a AE71 to bolt up to a 4age 20v.
I notice looking at the ecu pinouts for all the 20v ecu's they all include a speed sensor connection.

Guess this originally connected to some sort of speedo drive style sensor on
whatever front drive auto or manual box the 4age 20v was attached to in Japan.

Don't actually need a speedo drive of any kind for the speedometer in the dash - it gets this via a cable to the existing transfer case, which will stay as is.

What do people normally do for a speed sensor input to the ecu? is there something I can stick into the T-50 to provide this?

adam
30th July 2009, 03:06 PM
Not sure if this is any help, but..

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41688

A 'how to' convert a T50 into a electrical speedo sender.

sonsta
30th July 2009, 03:12 PM
when i had my 20v ke i just used the standard one that was connected to the t-50. worked a treat

ke70dave
30th July 2009, 04:04 PM
i think he might be talking about the ecu input of the speed sensor. rather than the speedo guage?

in ae86's apparently there is a pin on the dash cluster which gives out a pulse which comes from a magnetic pulse thing inside the speedo guage.

ke70's apparnetly dont have this

ive seen a few guys make up a pulse circuit that just pulses at 5-10hz or so (the pin needs to pulse to ground)

or you can put a magnet on your tailshaft and mount a read switch and connect one end of the swith to ground and the other to your ecu.

ive been meaning to do the read switch trick to my car....but never get around to it.

i dont think anyone on hear really bothres to hook it up though.

driftke70
30th July 2009, 04:32 PM
suzuki sierra?

paulv
30th July 2009, 06:18 PM
yes there is an input to the ecu marked on all the wiring diagrams for 20v ecu as "speed sensor"
This comes from an output from the dash in the original cars the 4age 20v's came from does it?
Or from an electronic speedo drive in the trans?
hmmm.
That is going to be interesting.

yes, you guessed it am wanting to put a 4age 20v, standard ecu and T-50 in my Suzuki Sierra.
There ain't no speed sensor type out put available from the dash in a zook.

Anyone know why the ecu needs it?
I guess it whinges and lights the engine trouble light if it doesn't get it?

Sam-Q
31st July 2009, 01:10 AM
it will limit the revs by 500rpm without it, I guess to stop people revving the engine with the clutch in or out of gear.

Let me know if you need any conversion parts for that project.