PDA

View Full Version : Diff gears for mallala?

Touge Boy
4th August 2009, 09:26 PM
Seeing as this question is about Mallala, i put it in the SA section.

Right. Managed to score myself a spot in the Pitlane Performance private day @ Lala on the 14th of september, and Im heading out in my newly purchased Levin coupe. (Kane/Chapl's old rig)

Question is, was told it has 4.11 gearing, is this going to be too low for lala?

Should I change it to something higher? This is the first time going out in a NA car, and the first time in the sprinter. My last car was a FC3S RX7 witha 4.3 gearset, so Im fairly used to short ratios and high rev limits....

Been looking around and seems a lot of the NA guys are running 4.5's/4.7's and the like?

Any help is appreciated.

Im sure it's probably a case of suck it and see, but didnt think it'd hurt to ask.

Cheers

Ben

buddyparts
4th August 2009, 09:48 PM
i ran 4.6 and 4.8 and now i run 4.3 and it works so well at mallala big open track.
our cars will have very similar setup and power so yeah i would run a 4.3 not a 4.1

Touge Boy
4th August 2009, 09:51 PM
where can i get a 4.3 cw+p from Jay? Any idea on how much they're worth?

I have a few bits and pieces to get sorted before then.:hehe:

buddyparts
4th August 2009, 10:04 PM
yeah from me
come down and have a chat
you will love that car when its all sorted

Touge Boy
4th August 2009, 10:19 PM
No worries. Ill try and pop down friday. :jdmsmile: Yeah Im pretty hyped about the levin.... seems like tuning is years away (Next tuesday LOL) It has rego now though LOL....

Cheers jay.

Any others have input into it?

jaz_ae86
4th August 2009, 11:15 PM
Agree with Jay, 4.1 too short, go 4.3 as a minimum.

Touge Boy
4th August 2009, 11:20 PM
Cheers for that> Ill head to buddyparts on friday, sort it out. Tax return should be back in the next week or so, so hopefully I can have it all sorted.

Thanks.

FAST EDDIE
5th August 2009, 10:45 PM
im heading for 4:77's as i already have 4:55's and theyre not short enough!!

Touge Boy
5th August 2009, 11:05 PM
Your's is SR isnt eddie?

Im guessing anyway I look at it, 4.11 is simply too long? Im also guessing driving style has a lot to do with it?

Ill go have a chat to jay on friday, but still want to hear other peoples input.

Thanks Eddie.:sunnies:

Ben.

Frak
6th August 2009, 12:02 AM
Agree with Jay, 4.1 too short, go 4.3 as a minimum.

4.1 too tall ;) larger number = shorter gearing

GEMTA22
6th August 2009, 12:10 AM
Were can i get 4.55 or 4.3 cw+p from Sydney ? for t-18 diff
Aproximate cost ?

MR. iNFMS
6th August 2009, 12:17 PM
4.7 in an sr that would be sik top gears around the track

i ran 4.7 in my 79kw 4age im guessing ur motor is way sicker either 4.3 or 4.5 now ive gone 4.11 as im looking around 160 when its running and didnt want my engine reving up two easily on stock motor

FAST EDDIE
6th August 2009, 07:32 PM
i use 3rd and 4th only

MR. iNFMS
7th August 2009, 12:47 AM
thats sik

benzo
7th August 2009, 12:54 PM
Unrelated but I'm guessing this car used to belong to Jesse/Genkin

Touge Boy
7th August 2009, 02:07 PM
yeah it did. Why's that?

benzo
7th August 2009, 06:20 PM
was looking through an old Drift Battle mag, and noticed Jesse's car in the back looked way too similar including some stickers, ducktail and reverse panda fuel-flap.

Kane already told me earlier..

Touge Boy
7th August 2009, 06:42 PM
I'd love to see that photo... :omg::omg:

MINIHORSE
7th August 2009, 06:55 PM
hey tougeboy, wikipedia ae86 and theres some pic of your car at the annual like 5 yrs ago

Touge Boy
7th August 2009, 07:12 PM
Hahaha... awesome. It really hasnt changed much..... well, on the outside at least.

So glad it's a shitload lower than that now.:DD

charged
7th August 2009, 07:53 PM
I run 4.77 in my Ip Rolla with a BT20V with 185/6013 tyres, I hit about 9100rpm at the 200m marker on ther back straight. 4.55 minimum at least I would recommend.

Touge Boy
7th August 2009, 08:19 PM
Hrm... thanks for that reply... got me thinking.

I was told when the engine was built, that it has the standard shims in the buckets, and revs had to be limited to around 7500-8000rpm....

Maybe 4.5's are where it's at. Then again, Jays car is VERY similar to mine and he say's 4.3's are the go.

:peek::peek::peek::peek:

charged
7th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Hrm... thanks for that reply... got me thinking.

I was told when the engine was built, that it has the standard shims in the buckets, and revs had to be limited to around 7500-8000rpm....

Maybe 4.5's are where it's at. Then again, Jays car is VERY similar to mine and he say's 4.3's are the go.

:peek::peek::peek::peek:

Dont be soft, mine was built by toyota 10 yrs ago, its never been opened and gets used mainly between 7500rpm and 9100rpm(limiter). I ran 4.11 originally in my bus and didnt even use 4th gear. Top speed down the straight is dependent on the exit out of the southern, the speed can vary between 15-20 km/h

Sherlock
7th August 2009, 10:06 PM
Jays motor sits on 9,000-10,000 all day quite happily though...

Touge Boy
7th August 2009, 10:37 PM
^^ are you drifting or racing?

Both. Mainly sideways, but grip work is on the cards too.

And a bit of street/hills driving.

What I really need is the right diff ratio that is a happy medium between them all i guess.

Dont be soft, mine was built by toyota 10 yrs ago, its never been opened and gets used mainly between 7500rpm and 9100rpm(limiter). I ran 4.11 originally in my bus and didnt even use 4th gear. Top speed down the straight is dependent on the exit out of the southern, the speed can vary between 15-20 km/h

Cool. Cheers for the info. Been helpful. :thumbup::thumbup:

The car and 86's/4age's are still pretty new to me, still trying to learn what it's limitations are...

Jays motor sits on 9,000-10,000 all day quite happily though...

Im assuming that is also the engine he was selling?

engine small port
unknown bottom end could be stock or could be built
trd head gasket
304 8.5 and 288 8.5 cams
hks valve springs
adjustable cam gears
extensive porting
engine includes long motor with rocker covers and sump
no accessories
engine make 115 rwkw 154 hp at the wheels at 8000rpm

How far can i realistically push the motor? Im assuming that i can dish out the same sort of punishment seeing as mine is a very similar engine?

4age engine, balanced bottom end, ARP Rod bolts
Bigport head, slight porting, heavier valve springs, TRD 0.8mm head gasket
20v silvertop quad throttles and 75mm trumpets, UNIFILTER filters
TODA 288 8.5mm lift cams in/ex with HKS adjustable cam gears, HKS timing belt
ADAPTRONIC ECU,Denzo individual coils
4AGZE injectors, Walbro fuel pump, Adj. Fuel pressure regulator
TRD extractors with 2.5 inch exhaust

I know it must seem like I'm splitting hairs here.... but the car is 99% complete, Im just making the finishing touches, and I want to get the best out of it, and therefore the most fun for me. Which is the only reason i bought it.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

Ben.

obey wan boenny
8th August 2009, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Touge Boy
How far can i realistically push the motor? Im assuming that i can dish out the same sort of punishment seeing as mine is a very similar engine?

Till it hits limiter, if not valve bounce :yeah:

Touge Boy
8th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Well I'll be finding out what I can take it to on tuesday... :DD

I have some time behind the wheel before the 14th, so I'll have some "practise"":oh:

While Im here.... anyone know the ballpark $$$ for a CW+P?

MINIHORSE
8th August 2009, 08:07 PM
"Hahaha... awesome. It really hasnt changed much..... well, on the outside at least.

So glad it's a shitload lower than that now"

needs the marbled red bonnet though, that was definetly different

Touge Boy
8th August 2009, 08:09 PM
The green one on there now is pretty cool.:yeah:

Prolly going to paint it white, or pony up for a carbon job. More important things to take care of ATM though.

MINIHORSE
8th August 2009, 08:12 PM
from memory huw (slide86) was saying 4.5 4.7 and so on and so forth become cheaper, he higher the ration, get onto him, if not im sure jay has some floating around in his abyss of premium modification enhancement parts

Touge Boy
8th August 2009, 08:15 PM
Tried getting a hold of Jay yesterday and today, Will try again on monday.

And Ill send Huw a PM too.

Thanks for the help Felix.:jdmsmile:

Sherlock
8th August 2009, 09:11 PM
There is no such thing as getting 'a hold of Jay' haha. You just have to bite the bullet and go down to the workshop.

FAST EDDIE
8th August 2009, 09:39 PM
yeah i think jay was playing with his willy i couldnt get through thursday or friday just go down there!!

Touge Boy
8th August 2009, 09:59 PM
Gay. It's a hell of a drive from Modbury to marion.... even worse from work. I work about 2 mins from the Edinburgh RAAF base...

Ill bite the bullet during the week and head on down.

Sherlock
8th August 2009, 10:42 PM
Im down there a few times a week man, if you have any serious Q's you need answering, just PM me and I'll relay them. This goes for you only, because I wanna sex your car, I'm no messenger boy haha.

Touge Boy
8th August 2009, 10:53 PM
Basically ive decided on a 4.5 set, (still thinking about 4.3's though, although i reckon they work so well for jay becauuse he's crazy quick) and wanna know how much im up for.

There is some other stuff Ive got some questions about, but they're not really burning issues LOL.

As for sexing my car... only if you wash it afterwards.:hehe:

Sherlock
8th August 2009, 10:57 PM
Done like a dinner. PM me your number and I'll shoot you a price if you don't get down there before the weeks out.

Joel-AE86
9th August 2009, 11:09 AM
I used to have a 4.1 in my 4AGE hachi out at mallala and thought the gearing was OK, but needed more torque at the bottom of 3rd to hold through the esses. I could link them no probs at 7500rpm in 2nd, but would struggle to do them in 3rd due to lack of torque.

I reckon in an N/A hachi, trying to link the esses at Mallala in 3rd needs to have at least a 4.5 ratio.

You will love this car when you have it all dialed Touge Boy! I know this car well and have spent numerous evenings as a passenger and also chasing it through the hills, and even taxied to and around melbourne. Ha I even remember rescuing it when it went down an inbankment. She is all good though, has an awsome setup!

Touge Boy
9th August 2009, 01:32 PM
Cheers Joel, that was really helpful. Ive pretty much made up my mind on a set of 4.5's, waiting to hear back about cost and availability.

And yeah, I know the story about it going down an embankment LOL, and into an olive or orange tree or something, and all the other adventures this car has had hahaha. Quite a "colourful" history. :hehe:

Just glad I got hold of it and I can continue the fun.:DD

Simon-KE70
11th August 2009, 07:07 PM
yeah its a great car, i loved it, been a passenger many times and drove it a few times also..

+1 for 4.55's tho if its staying NA.

Touge Boy
11th August 2009, 08:44 PM
will deff. be staying NA. After the noise it made on the dyno today... I dont think I could have anything else LOL.

Frak
11th August 2009, 08:46 PM
What did it make?

FAST EDDIE
11th August 2009, 08:46 PM
go alright??

Touge Boy
11th August 2009, 09:19 PM
48kw.

No shit. Hahaha...

Fuel pump is running out @ 4000rpm, either putting a walbro I have sitting on the shelf in, or buying a 2.5 ltr surge tank and 044.... havent decided yet.

FAST EDDIE
11th August 2009, 09:22 PM
ouch, oh well its all teething problems at least NA setups seem to killer reliable!!!!

Touge Boy
11th August 2009, 09:27 PM
I hope so. Ill be pretty pissed if I go I come all this way and the engine takes a shit LOL.

Nah. she'll be right.

Shaun (Boostworx) says it's a tough little motor, and it'll make good power and torque, basically told him to tune it so I cant break it. I dont really know any mechanical sympathy LOL.

Goes back at the start of next week. Anyone got any hookups for fuel pumps?

FAST EDDIE
11th August 2009, 09:42 PM
jay!!!!

Touge Boy
11th August 2009, 09:46 PM
hahaha... I'll speak to him when I go down to get my CW+P....

Is a surge tank really needed on a JDM 86?

buddyparts
12th August 2009, 12:23 PM
dont run a surge
run a jap tank and internal vl pump or a walbro

Touge Boy
12th August 2009, 07:54 PM
Oddly enough... i was under the car this arvo... and I actually have a TRD fuel tank.

This is a serious post LOL. So Serious I took a photo.

Any Ideas what it is? Apart from JDM TyTe yo!:yeah:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/20550.jpg

As for pump, I got a mate to hook me up with a wal-broooo cheap, so Ill chuck it in over the weekend, and it's going back to Boostworx next friday.

FAST EDDIE
12th August 2009, 10:37 PM
wtf???? how random,, sick!!!!

Joel-AE86
12th August 2009, 11:49 PM
This car just keeps on winning!

I'm interested to see what this thing make on the dyno once all sweet.

My JDM 4AGE made 76rwkw with stock internals, Microtech ECU, pod and extractors. It was a tun of fun even at that little number!

Touge Boy
12th August 2009, 11:59 PM
Well Ill have an answer for you next friday.:thumbup:

Arch
15th August 2009, 01:25 AM
lol many memories of this car come flooding back

good times

Hazzard
3rd September 2009, 10:38 PM
lol the 14th, thats my bday :) have fun also :)

Touge Boy
3rd September 2009, 10:49 PM
Not going out now LOL.... have to rebuild the bottom end hahaha. I jinxed it.

ke55pig
3rd September 2009, 11:59 PM
spewing.Im Looking at making bout 55 ish rwkw out me 4k should get me mad Slydways
Anyway question is should i be running 4spd or a 5spd for drifting at mallala ?? alsoo beed tod 4spds are stronger ?? cause im thinking im going to drfting in 3rd the hole time in the 4sp ??