PDA

View Full Version : Tools to keep in the car

sundee
8th January 2009, 04:46 PM
so i was thinking today about putting a tool kit together that will stay in the car. what tools would u carry?

lets start a list of the must have's.

1. jack
2. wheel brack
3. socket set
4. spanners
5. screwdirvers
6. plyers
7. thinking of 1 & 2 i dont even have a spare tyre! :peek:
8. side cutters
9. fuses
10. multi meter
11.torch or 12v fluro ;)
12. zip ties
13. coolant - Oil - clutch/break fluid
14. spare tyre (BTW this is in no cronological order)
15. wheel chocks. (ive got these kik ass aircraft ones that i taxed from work! ;) )

its about all i can think of... anyone want to add to the list.. post em up and ill edit them into this post

blair
8th January 2009, 04:52 PM
when i take my car to archy
i take:

zipties
stainless steel wire
side cutters
coolant + brake/clutch fluid

:)

n00bvak
8th January 2009, 05:20 PM
need a torch and spare batteries for night fixes :P

dori_86
8th January 2009, 07:04 PM
yeah but get one of those wind up LED torches so then u dont have to worry about batteries going dead plus some come with a mobile phone charger connection if your lucky

Dylan
8th January 2009, 08:34 PM
yeah but get one of those wind up LED torches so then u dont have to worry about batteries going dead plus some come with a mobile phone charger connection if your lucky

+1, these are great and actually last a while once you wind em up

sundee
9th January 2009, 06:28 AM
+1, these are great and actually last a while once you wind em up

where about do u get these things from? rapeCO? super thief?

vivioman
9th January 2009, 02:09 PM
I keep one of these mini portable ones in my car all the time.

It also acts to power my mini air compressor in case I have a flat.

Have also saved a couple of stranded people from time to time :)

http://www.iosss.com/shopping/images/66024c.jpg

Dylan
9th January 2009, 05:26 PM
where about do u get these things from? rapeCO? super thief?

I got mine from Aussie Disposals which is like a camping store. You should be able to get them from most outdoors places

Those jumperpacks are also a great idea

Mickey H
9th January 2009, 05:32 PM
I keep some tools, 2 spare tyres and a 2ton trolley jack in my van, but that's just because i can :P
Just get a basic tool kit with a torch, oil and coolant and a jack. I'm thinking of getting a cheap set from supercheap, dont like keeping all my expensive tools in the car.

James86
9th January 2009, 10:17 PM
an RAA card

Driftspec
10th January 2009, 12:27 AM
I have a flat and a phillips head screwdriver, my socket set, some zip ties, car jack, two bits of wood (for chocks) and a wheel brace. And my RACQ card ;)

n00bvak
10th January 2009, 08:31 AM
yer RAC rocks. Every time you get stuck down an embankment in the hills, they will come tow you out :P

sundee
10th January 2009, 10:58 AM
yer RAC rocks. Every time you get stuck down an embankment in the hills, they will come tow you out :P

haha gold... sounds better than NRMA (No real mechanic available) :DD

Mickey H
10th January 2009, 06:05 PM
I have nrma roadside, never used it. I've heard some bad stories, and I can do a better job myself, i just dont always have my tools with me.....

Vance
10th January 2009, 08:08 PM
I got mine from Aussie Disposals which is like a camping store.

theres one of those in wollongong, i shop there all the time.

i carry a mobile phone so i can call a mate/my dad whenever something happens and they can bring my tools. if i was to bring stuff i thought i may need sometime i wouldnt have any space in the car

marvis
10th January 2009, 08:50 PM
I should have more.. But i have.

Space saver, zipties, wheel brace, scissor jack, coolant, oil and a block of wood to put under my wheels if i get beached on something.

Eircamae86
10th January 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the reminder, 80amp main breakable fuses. 10mm & 8mm spanner required for these, whats the 8mm all about?

Marco
11th January 2009, 01:31 AM
and stillsens you should always have small stilsens in the car. probs a test light, blue max (forma gasket), bit of pipe to slide over your ratchet. but thats only if your going to fuck something that should not get fucked...

pen15
11th January 2009, 10:08 AM
i carry a car cover so if i have to leave me care somewhere its covered, not really but do carry the cover also i want to get a can of the foam stuff that you can fill your tire with if you get a flat you never know when youll have the spare come out flat lol

n00bvak
11th January 2009, 10:13 AM
ohh and a baseball bat

For anyone that runs into your car :P

vivioman
11th January 2009, 04:11 PM
ohh and a baseball bat

For anyone that runs into your car :P

X2, but mine is a steering lock instead of a baseball bat :soldier:

James86
11th January 2009, 05:45 PM
i carry quite abit of stuff now that i think about it, not just an RAA card haha

-Jump Starter Pack
-Jumper Leads
-Torch
-Small Socket Set
-2 Screw drivers (1 phillips 1 flat)
-Multimetre
-Various duct tapoe and electrical tape.
-Zip Ties
-Dirty Towel and rags
-Cheapo trolley jack (the pole rides up front 4 hitting people):hehe:
-Wheel Brace
Last and Most importantly SPARE WATER OR COOLANT

Thats is all.......i originally put all that shit in my boot so id be prepared for a trackday but ended up leaving it all in there as its come in handy. Realistically id use the RAA card before most things cos fuck getting grease on my work clothes:P

thankfully i've used my emergency boot tools to help out other peoples cars so far and never my own (touch wood)

PHA786
12th January 2009, 06:24 PM
I just carry some oil, a jack, coolent, tyre lever,zip tie's and RACQ card. I don't like taking to much to Archy. I don't want loose anything. Shame i don't have a truck to tow it around :)

I have nrma roadside, never used it. I've heard some bad stories, and I can do a better job myself, i just dont always have my tools with me.....

I had to join RACQ (RA Make me spew). One time i let my friend drive my 86 and he couldn't get the keys out and just flipped the lock and closed the door locking the keys in. I asked him where the keys were and he said in the car. he said "Don't u have another set of keys" >@ it was late at night too.

ThatsHowWeRoll
12th January 2009, 06:33 PM
yeah nrma/racq card is winner if a tow is needed....but i feel saver with a few different fluids in the boot....

The other day at dream world my mate left her lights on and the racq ute was like a few cars down so im like dude can we borrow your jump pack!! He told me i would have to call through first....i told him to piss off and found another jump! I couldn't believe it!

k.aaron
12th January 2009, 11:31 PM

Used to have a home made baseball bat but now I've upgraded to a golf club.
I pull it out when I need to :)

Marco
13th January 2009, 11:56 PM
^^ Nah mate iv got what is called a u'llbe.

U'll be sorry you did whatever you id to make me pull this out.

it's a bat made out of suspension rubber. and it is quite litterally the stick of death. :hehe:

advan86
6th February 2009, 02:59 PM
Big hammer,x4 screwdrivers,adjustable wrench,Zipties,2 mtrs of speaker wire,Fuses,x1 headlight globe,Jack+wheel brace,Mobile phone,socket set,Can of jap zush+Solid rubber space saver and a good mate who will help you push it off the road hahah.

Hachi_Tom
31st May 2010, 08:41 PM
fuck putting all that shit into an 86.. if i had a boot not just a hatch part then itd be different.
If going to QR id take just my toolbox with sockets, sscrewdrivers other stuff, coolant and oil. jack and spare wheels with tyres (if you dont take these to a track day then you sholdnt even be going..)
But daily driving just have a big bottle of water 3L, and my shitty 25year old scizzor jack and my phone. im only driving around the coast/brisbane most of the time.. so i have people to ring if i get stuck...

Oh and a fire extinguisher..

jmorley
31st May 2010, 08:52 PM
snatch strap to get pulled out of a ditch or something or towed ?

4AGENT
30th June 2010, 04:36 PM
hand saw in case of emergency :P, 300+ cable ties.

macca1590
6th August 2010, 11:32 PM
cable ties, sticky tape, selant and you can fix anything haha, or shifter, chisel and hammer. if you want to get agricultural

if i remember tomorrow i will post a pic of the wonders of zip ties

edit: Mazda 323 fwd, front engine mount, zip ties was a side of road fix then fencing wire for added clutch dump insurance, started to notice something when the gearstick moved back wile accelerating
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/9/6/7/50429.jpg

been like that for 6 months now, every known again a few brake so i need to add some more or more wire

MR86ER
5th January 2011, 12:08 AM
mini cordless impact drill(has rattle gun setting)MUST HAVE
Sockets to fit drill
1eighth drill bit
Zippies
Flat and phillips head bit
Water
Space saver
Get out of jail free card
Multiplyers

blake.
9th January 2011, 04:26 PM
i just keep a big box of zipties, few spare p plates, a 32mm spanner (the negotiator) , my dads phone number and roadside assistancenumber

i've only ever hadd to use my dads number. i poped a tyre, so he drove out two spares i had, a jack an nessaasary tools to change the tyre, he's a mad cunt.

lolwat
11th January 2011, 07:35 PM
a jumppack. i have 13" steelies i cbf changing a Tire if one went flat, drive that shit out

KEDRIFT
28th February 2011, 11:09 PM
Can you class Darryl Summers as a tool?

turn69up
1st March 2011, 03:11 PM
Mine is a baseball bat shaped steering wheel lock :P

willa
1st March 2011, 06:16 PM
If you're carrying a spare that is different from all your other wheels, and requires different wheel nuts, having 4/5 of them is a good idea.

Ella Rich
22nd June 2013, 05:42 PM
I would say Pliers. Your hands are not the most effective tool for gripping and maneuvering small objects. That’s where pliers come in handy. One set of pliers will not do the trick either. You’ll likely need a small assortment of pliers in various styles and sizes for different kinds of jobs.

hollywood89
9th October 2013, 08:09 AM
Add duct tape to that list