PDA

View Full Version : Corona Wagon

trueno85
7th August 2009, 11:31 PM
Hey guys

just picked up my new daily as i've been driving my 86 everywhere for the past 8 months and its not exactly the most comfortable and now i'll be able to do a lot more to it since i wont have to worry about it being drivable the next day!

picked it up for $600 with 2 months rego still. I'm the third owner and its just done over 200,000kms and it still has all the manuals and everything so i didnt think the price was so bad. Only real issue apart from a few spots of rust and a bit of play in the steering is the fact that it is soooooo slow! but later when i have money again i might start looking into the possibilities of a cheap and easy conversion but the goal is isnt to spend much money on this!

here are some photos

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20217.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20218.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20219.jpg

first thing i've done is put my dildo gearknob in and it suits perfectly considering its a 4 speed so doesnt come anywhere near the wheel!

next mods will be some front springs and lowering blocks considering the rear is leaf. Then i want fender mirrors as there mad even if they are shit for actually any viewing. Then hopefully some new wheels but cant decide if i would rather new ones for the 86 and put the Hoshino's on the wagon, ill chuck them on sometime and see if it suits.

eventually maybe turn it into something like these but its so damn comfortable compared to the ae86 so i dont want to ruin that too much and the fact i dont have to worry and the cops at all
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20220.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20221.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20222.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20223.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/7/20224.jpg

anyways i'll get some more shots now that i've cleaned it and its in my possesion

any useful knowledge let me know as i'm not too familiar with them

sorry for stealing all your photos john!

wanabdrifta
8th August 2009, 09:50 AM
202 prob the easiest conversion but u can put a 18r or 22r it will bold straight up aswell as the 202 i love these but wish i kept my old xt130

trueno85
8th August 2009, 11:50 AM
thanks mate, just had a quick search of 202 corona's seems like thats a good cheap conversion! would the 22r or 18r be more a drop in conversion though

trueno85
8th August 2009, 03:14 PM
hahaha yeah the starfire motor at the motor is a piece of slow shit but at least its running!

and i would rather get a jap motor than another holden motor.

now looking for some front springs!

wanabdrifta
8th August 2009, 05:30 PM
202 or starfire engine?

WHAT THE FUCK?!!

You should have stuck with the fucking panda camry dude

come on nick fair go

im not a fan of these motors one bit but he asked and i was just expressing what i had researched and tried in my xt130 u and i both know that camry was a heap of shit it was my first car.

joeschmo_57
10th August 2009, 07:49 PM
202 is an abomination, and should thus be tied to a boat via a long chain and dropped off the side.

although, they made healthy power when worked hard.

trueno85
10th August 2009, 10:11 PM
yeah a quick search for worked 202s found quite a few running some low number but i dont want one at all

the starfire motor is terrible and should burn with fire but as long as its still running as a daily im happy!

jay70
10th August 2009, 10:15 PM
isn't this an rt132

wanabdrifta
10th August 2009, 10:24 PM
isn't this an rt132

nope square dash cluster and starfire motor definatly xt130

x in xt130 is for the motor 1x motor (starfire)1.9l

r in rt132 is for motor 18rc 2l

jay70
10th August 2009, 10:30 PM
lol the headlight covers are tripping me out

Javal
10th August 2009, 10:30 PM
Please, all be at peace, your friendly resident XT130 nazi is in the thread.

trueno85
10th August 2009, 10:52 PM
yeah i dont have the headlight covers although i might try and get them back of the old owner and paint them! obviously want be used on the street

might look at putting a 18rg for some dohc!

would i be able to use the same 4 speed box and everything? sorry i'm a noob with old toyota motors!

Javal
10th August 2009, 11:00 PM
Here we go -

Your choices for an engine conversion are limited only by your skill and budget. The xT13x chassis vehicles seem to have quite a wide yet short engine bay when you have the starfire engine in them.

This is almost entirely due to the cost cutting undertaken to transplant said motor into said vehicle as cheaply as possible. As such it was mounted a LONG way forward to save adapting a toyota gearbox to the motor (they run a borg-warner 505).

Before we go over the engines which you are most likely to choose from, lets go over how you've unwittingly shot yourself in the foot.

You see, all bar one variant of the xT13x share the same floorpan, these being the early and late XT130 sedan, the RT133 sedan and the RT132 hatchback.

By purchasing an XT130 wagon (RT13x was not released in wagon) you've ruled out bolt-in swaps from the RT series, which has a much more universal powertrain component lineup.

Anyway, as for engine choice -

18R-C
This is the engine from the RT132 corona, as well as the RA28 Celica and some early hiluxes. They are a single overhead cam 2L, and are much nicer than the starfire. However they are not a huge improvement power-wise. Maybe 20% more, but they are much more livable.

The xT13x's all share the same crossmember, so with RT132 engine mounts, she's a straight bolt-in, along with the W50 gearbox and associated crossmember. HOWEVER because you have a wagon, you're on your own for making a differential fit and a tailshaft to suit. This goes for all the R motor conversions listed

To make the whole shooting match work on the inside, you'll want an RT132 gauge cluster and speedo cable as i believe these are different XT13x to RT13x. I have no doubt the wiring is different also. Talk to wanabedrifter on that one, he's done the 18R-C swap.

18R-G / 18R-GU / 18R-GRU
This is the conversion i am in the (very slow) process doing.

They are one of the first mass produced twincam engines in the world. They're a 2L tractor motor. They cost way too much money to purchase and build. They're out of the RA28 GT / RA40 GT / RT104 GT / RT132 GT. All of these vehicles are japan only, with some imported in small numbers by dealers.

Do something else, save your wallet the trouble unless you find a good running one cheap, and pray you never have to find new pistons for one.

22R-C
These are a 2.4L SOHC single carb out of some hiluxes, and believe it or not, some toyota coasters buses.

Much better choice than the 18R-C purely due to displacement. When mated with a W-50 gearbox (as opposed to a G-52 hilux box) the ratios will be good for spirited performance. Consider it around a 35-45% increase on the starfire. As they are a carb'd motor there's no EFI converison to worry about.

Probably worth the effort.

22R-E
It's really not worth performing an EFI conversion on an xT13x chassis unless you have something nice to put in it. The 22R-E is an injected version of the 22R-C, as its engine code implies. These were in the RT142 corona, and are good tough motors. Great for skids of various descriptions. Ask Konakid and AJPS about that one. Actually don't, cause it's not worth your time. Theoretically a 50-60% power increase

If you were to do it, you'd want an entire RT142 to transplant everything over from. and even then there'd still be a good whack of fabricating fuel and brake lines. It's a headfuck transplant a 22RE into an ST141, let alone an xT13x.

1UZ
Heh. Now we're talking. I always wanted to do this, but the fact that i'm poor as fuck stops me. The engine bay is big enough, the trans tunnel not so much. Crack out the hammer, welder and grinder, buy a half cut AND GET CONVERTING ALREADY. 300% power gain easily.

202ci
Please die. Please.

I think that about covers it.

Javal
10th August 2009, 11:05 PM
Also remember that upgrading all the other systems of the vehicle to cope is a MUST.

I.e, if you put in one of the listed motors, consider the braking system from that vehicle as a required upgrade, along with some fettling of the suspension.

Also, before you ask - DO NOT MOD THE STARFIRE.

trueno85
10th August 2009, 11:14 PM
shit thanks a lot for all that information!

although now i'm annoyed as i'm pretty stuffed with the wagon without going through a fair bit of custom work trying to get the diff and tail shaft to suit

in all seriousness i think that the 18r-c swap would be the best for me as its just going to be a daily with the odd skid and just had a quick look and would that a 18r-c motor was for sale for 100 and the w box for 200

so has wanabedrifter done the 18r-c conversion to a wagon or just a normal xt?

believe me i know there is no hope for the starfire!

Javal
10th August 2009, 11:18 PM
shit thanks a lot for all that information!

although now i'm annoyed as i'm pretty stuffed with the wagon without going through a fair bit of custom work trying to get the diff and tail shaft to suit

in all seriousness i think that the 18r-c swap would be the best for me as its just going to be a daily with the odd skid and just had a quick look and would that a 18r-c motor was for sale for 100 and the w box for 200

so has wanabedrifter done the 18r-c conversion to a wagon or just a normal xt?

believe me i know there is no hope for the starfire!

He did his to a sedan.

You may be lucky with regards to the diff / tailshaft -

If you get the mounts cut off your B/W diff and put onto an RT132 T-series, the tailshaft from an RT132 MIGHT be the right length.

I've never done the research because it's never been something i've had to think about before.

I've always wanted an early XT wagon though. Without the starfire, naturally.

trueno85
10th August 2009, 11:30 PM
so basically everything in the engine bay will bolt up easy as the cross member and mounts are the same, and i will need a mid bath sump?

and then i will have to measure the tailshaft of the rt132 to compare it to the xt130 and most likely change the mounts on the t series diff

basically if there isn't much work needed for the tail shaft and the diff it should be a cheap conversion

there would be no issues with the w series box lining up with the shifter position would there?

Javal
10th August 2009, 11:39 PM
so basically everything in the engine bay will bolt up easy as the cross member and mounts are the same, and i will need a mid bath sump?

The RT132 18R-C will have the correct sump to fit, i'm under the impression that all 18R variants use mid-sumps. Use the RT132 18R-C engine mount brackets and rubbers. You'll need some different things like heater hoses, maybe the RT132 radiator and radiator hoses, but it's all pretty straight forward, just a process of unbolting things and changing them over.

and then i will have to measure the tailshaft of the rt132 to compare it to the xt130 and most likely change the mounts on the t series diff
Correct. You will definitely have to change the mounts over. The XT130 sedan uses a leaf springs setup as where the rest of the xT13x's use a 5-link coil spring arrangement. Measuring the tailshafts is a good start though.

basically if there isn't much work needed for the tail shaft and the diff it should be a cheap conversion

Correct. You could do it for less than $500 if you know how to swing a spanner.

there would be no issues with the w series box lining up with the shifter position would there?

Not at all if you use a W-50 gearbox from a RT132 corona. Use the gearbox crossmember from one as well.

There you go. Any more questions, ask away.

trueno85
11th August 2009, 12:01 AM
great stuff mate! do you know of anyone else that has actually done the 18rc conversion into the wagon?

Joshie_Mcslide
11th August 2009, 12:07 AM
Nice car dood!

I found a few of these today at wreckers on my search for st141 parts(annoying at the time)
If you need anything postable let me know

josh

Javal
11th August 2009, 12:10 AM
great stuff mate! do you know of anyone else that has actually done the 18rc conversion into the wagon?

Not off the top of my head, no.

trueno85
11th August 2009, 12:16 AM
thanks for that mate, might look at some wreckers up here if not then maybe look at getting the engine and gearbox mounts

arrrrgh this is going to start taking all my money that is meant for the Trueno!

wanabdrifta
11th August 2009, 12:34 AM
i had no problems in my sedan and i dare say there the same to near the back seat somewhere but yeas and if you go with all rt132 thy got a different dash(all round guages etc u convert all that allong with the wiring andu should be able to get it running your self and have guages working but i had a little trouble with my tail lights and stuff after this as they were all different plugs.

but as i was saying before i was rudely interupted by nick there is also one more conversion that bolted in i cant remember exactly how as i never really looked into it as i was always going 22rc or 18rg but there was a way that a 1ggz/te could bolt in mabe javal might be able to shed some light on this but as a daily i would wait till the 1x goes bang and get hold of a rt132 and raid it.

trueno85
11th August 2009, 09:08 AM
yeah i do plan to wait until the starfire does give up as there's no point spending money on it just yet if its still going strong! might be easier to just get aftermarket speedo and tacho and wire that up then trying to find a dash and rewire that to suit wouldn't it? but you would still have to get the lights and everything else to work hey?

i would rather just stick with converting to the 18r-c as it is a very cheap conversion once i figure everything that i need out

Joshie_Mcslide
11th August 2009, 09:20 AM
I've actually heard of a commo V6 bolting into one of these too.....Like an Engineered Kit!

wanabdrifta
11th August 2009, 11:49 AM
watch what u say joshy i almost got my testicals ripped off for mentioning the 202 i would hate to see what happens with a buik motor.

trueno85
11th August 2009, 11:58 AM
hahaha i wouldn't really bother with any of the bigger engines unless it was becoming a drag car and then i would just jz it!

does the sedan xt130 use the same borgwarner diff and 4speed box?

wanabdrifta
11th August 2009, 03:04 PM
xt130 uses a borgwaner 505 4 speed box and a borgwaner diff

rt132 uses the much better w50 5 speed box and t series diff.

sr_rolla
11th August 2009, 04:26 PM
If your interested, i have a xt130 wags that im wrecking atm. If you need anything let me know. I got the whole car to part out or scrap

trueno85
11th August 2009, 06:17 PM
so when you did your 18r-c conversion to your sedan did you swap in the w50 box and t series diff without any hassles? or did you need new diff mounts and possibly tail shaft as well

is the tailshaft the same in the sedan and wagon?

trueno85
11th August 2009, 06:19 PM
Cheers sr_rolla the only thing i really need is the windom mechanism as the front windows have fallen out of the tracks

wanabdrifta
12th August 2009, 12:50 AM
mine was a sedan and it all bolted straight in i used the w50 and t series and tailshaft and all.

trueno85
12th August 2009, 09:46 AM
would it be possible to use the rear section of the original tailshaft and bolt up the front section of the RT132 tailshaft to use with the w50 box?

wanabdrifta
12th August 2009, 11:12 AM
quite possible if it is longer etc im not exactly sur u would have to measure it and trial and error mabe.

wanabdrifta
28th August 2009, 12:51 AM
i just picked up one of these for myself and i love it lol lowering it sat just put fender mirrors on it and painted rims black with chrome dress rims and centercaps.car is yellow.

Blind Kid Seeks
31st August 2009, 01:15 PM
just curious as what you guys used to lower the xt130 wagons??

trueno85
31st August 2009, 01:18 PM
i just picked up one of these for myself and i love it lol lowering it sat just put fender mirrors on it and painted rims black with chrome dress rims and centercaps.car is yellow.

haha that's awesome! hows the starfire? what mirrors did you use?

you can buy lowered xt130 front springs and the rear is just leaf so there are a few methods to lower it

i think i'm just going to take them out and heat them up and reset them instead of blocks

wanabdrifta
31st August 2009, 07:09 PM
just made a thread starfire is preety stuffed and just ebay fender mirrors.

trueno85
1st September 2009, 04:43 PM
so annoying the gearbox wont go into reverse! guessing the selector is fucked

dont have the time to do the 18rc conversion at the moment and dont want to spend the money getting a new starfire box!

wanabdrifta
1st September 2009, 11:10 PM
tou are pushig the gearstick in whe u select it right and you are selecting the right spot up near first.

trueno85
1st September 2009, 11:56 PM
yeah man the gearbox is completely fucked now, it wont go in any gear and in neutral its grinding loud

wanabdrifta
2nd September 2009, 12:12 AM
thats holden shit for you i spose mate vb commodores and stuff ran the same 4 speed.

wanabdrifta
2nd September 2009, 12:13 AM
went back as far as eh and lc toranas etc.

Javal
2nd September 2009, 12:26 AM
went back as far as eh and lc toranas etc.

Correct-o, but for a replacement i'd definately be looking at another XT130 for the correct gearing and speedo drive.

Also if it doesn't want to go into gears, It's much more likely to be your clutch than your gearbox, it sounds like it's not disengaging fully / at all.

trueno85
3rd September 2009, 09:08 PM
might possibly be but it is still somtimes able to get into third and forth so i assumed that it is the box?

eitherway still annoying as its still a lot of work to fix it!

Javal
3rd September 2009, 09:18 PM
Does the shifter feel looser than normal?

Is it crunching into gear when you can select them? Or are you doing this without the car running?

trueno85
3rd September 2009, 11:28 PM
nah not really looser than normal which is really bloody loose!

with the car off it wont go into reverse first or second and when the car is running in grinds really loud when trying to put it in gear and even grinds when in neutral

trueno85
7th September 2009, 12:30 AM
argh now i'm thinking i should just sell this or send it to the wreckers because i dont have the space/knowledge to change the box as i live in an apartment!

anyone want it! with rego till oct 15 hahaha

Joshie_Mcslide
7th September 2009, 09:38 AM
argh now i'm thinking i should just sell this or send it to the wreckers because i dont have the space/knowledge to change the box as i live in an apartment!

anyone want it! with rego till oct 15 hahaha

Where abouts are you?

trueno85
7th September 2009, 09:50 AM
sydney

The Kid
7th September 2009, 11:24 AM
Don't scrap whatever you do please!

trueno85
7th September 2009, 12:00 PM
i dont know yet if they give me money then i wont say no!

was only going to sell it for about 500 with a stereo

Joshie_Mcslide
8th September 2009, 10:30 AM
shit,too far for me to buy it!

Thought about it though

gl in what ever ya do with it!
josh

millhouse
12th September 2009, 12:29 PM
Hey not sure if you are still thinking of converting this car if you are i have a w50, and a 18rc sitting in my ra40 Celica that i want gone.
this car is being parted out so if you want any think off it.
Its all going cheap!!