Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Time to update the thread...

Recently I competed in my second round of the N1
    Race 1 I came last out of 7
    Race 2 I came 5th out of 7
    Results here:

Anyway, without spending heaps of cash on my car I don't have a chance to be competitive so I'm going to quit this series.
    I'll still track my car but just not race this particular series.
    As a bit of a momento my photo ended up in Option magazine which is kind of cool:

Last week I went drifting for the first time.
    I've been to watch drifting before but I was never too interested in it.
    I was always of the opinion that it is not a propper form of motorsport because it is judged.
    I still don't think that it is really as good as circuit racing but I have a bit of respect for guys who are good at it. I found it was quite hard to get right.

Before I went, I installed some PS knuckles. They made a lot of difference mostly because of the extra lock but the quicker steering helped a bit too.
    Unfortunately, on my very last run, as one of the tyres delaminated I lost control a bit and nudged a tree which bent my bumper a bit and smashed the parking lamp...
    Also on the way back home my diff was making the most ungodly whine... time for a refresh I think, and maybe change the 4.5 to a 4.7

Anyway, I used up 4 rear tyres and had heaps of fun. Here are some pics and vids:

Some of the other cars that were there:

Name
    Josh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

this tread is gooooood. love the work dude keep it up

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Great stuff mate! love how you post lots of photos
    R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Name
    Tim
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Dude this thread is epic. I am quite jealous. You should make a blog or something!

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Thanks, I would make a blog but I don't think I would update it that regularly - probably about the same as this thread.

By the way, I noticed that I didn't answer joeschmo_57's post, sorry!

Anyway, In japan the law is 0 alcohol on any licence. As far as I know there is no difference in speed limit.

The thing is though, I have never seen or heard of a breatho here . I think it would only be a problem if you had an accident.
    However the penalty is very severe for drink driving. Also if I got caught drink driving I would be automatically fired from my job no questions asked.
    As for speeding, that is also very lightly enforced. Half the speed cameras aren't even turned on. When they are there is a red flashing light in advance to let you know about it. Some of the cameras apparently only go off over about 150kmph or something like that.
    I have known people to get speeding fines, they are usually pretty expensive but no worse than Aus.
    The speed limit on the highway is about 80kmph, but the average speed I see is anywhere between 100kmph to 160kmph, I sometimes get passed by nutters doing well up to 200

Defects are done differently here too. I have been randomly pulled over for a licence check and they have had no problem with my car, it would be easily defected in SA, I've been done for a lot less before.
    The difficult part is getting a vehicle inspection every 2 years, you have to pass emissions and all of these other tests. I had it done a couple of months ago and it cost me about 3k to get everything done that I needed, but that included rebuilding my motor.
    It passed with all mods though which was nice. I've seen some pretty crazy looking cars get passed no problems so I'm not sure what the limit is.

Anyway, one more pic of my car with my friends car. He is also going to take this back to Aus when he returns, it's so hot : )

Name
    James
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

fuck love this thrreead

Name
    Oliver
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thumbs up

Yea, you are living the dream man. Great thread to read and look at!

Name
    James
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

more please..

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Hey, so I thought it might be time for an update.
    I really shoudl have been putting up stuff regularly but have been far too busy.

So since I last updated I have fitted new springs, chopped the guards a bit to fit more rubber,
    rebuilt the gearbox, rebuilt the LSD (and added a 4.7) and did a whole bunch of driving...

Rear guards were modified to fit the 14x7.5 work equips after further lowering.
    There is very little clearance in there.

I went for a drive through the hills around Toyota City, here's a few shots:

Also took a drive up to Fuji san... was a nice clear day to take photos but too many people around blocking a clear shot...
    It's a breath taking sight though, such a massive mountain in person! Also, much better from a distance, I climbed to the top in 2009... never again! haha...

Damned snow...

The importance of good wheel fitment becomes evident with icicles

Driving on snow and ice is one of the best driving experiences that I have ever had. In the 86 it's so much fun and you can get some pretty crazy speed sideways!

It's also very dangerous, I saw quite a few people come unstuck on the snow. The conditions change a lot, even from one hour to the next.
    I would highly recommend driving a RWD car in the snow if you get the chance though!

After all of this, I cast her out into the ocean in a southerly direction...
    Yup that's right, I'm bringing it back to Aus with me.
    I got back to Melbourne this week, and should take delivery of the car at the end of this month.

This is it just before handing over to the shipping company.
    I fitted standard rear springs and jacked up the front coilovers so that it won't have any issues getting on and off the ship.
    (knowing that even some stock cars have difficulty I didn't want to run the risk of any underbody damage)

Here is the bloke and his workshop who's shipping my car. If you need a car shipped to Aus or a top quality second hand V35 GTR speak to Yamanaka san...

I couldn't really wait till June for my car (plus time to engineer / register as an import) so I picked up this bad boy today

I've got this centre rd wrecker special waiting to go in.

As soon as the 86 can get me around the 70 will go off the road and the work should begin.
    I have everything to put a 4a in a 70 so it shouldn't take too long (pedal box, gear box, diff, cross members, manifolds etc)
    Watch this space

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

cool thread just got cooler! would be awesome to import you own car.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast