Thread: 第1赤池の八六

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for the comments, the car is starting too look better.
    I want do some cosmetic/functional changes, such as flaring the guards for a bit better wheel clearance, adding a standard lip. I like the clean simple look so I won't be getting any bodykits or anything.

Living in Japan is pretty good and I'm doing some pretty fun stuff, there is no way I would get a chance to race in this type of thing back home. But there is still a lot of stuff I miss about Australia.
    Work here is out of control! Everybody works insane amounts of overtime. I hardly get any time to work on my car.
    Also I don't have a place to work on my car. Very few people own garages, most people keep their cars in a parking lot near their house.

My parking lot is a couple of minutes walk from my place and its just a gravel lot full of weeds. So I can only do pretty basic stuff on the car. For example at home I would have swapped the engine myself like most guys on this forum, but here I had to pay someone to do it. Labor charge is bloody expensive here too!
    For example, I had to get a Shyaken on my car 2 weeks ago, which is a Japanese roadworthy that you have to get done every 2 years. I didn't have much change left over from 4k after all the tests were done, old things replaced and government fees payed for... That's one of the reasons why a lot of cars from Japan are sent overseas, particularly the old ones are just too expensive to keep.
    For that money I could have bought an Altezza with enough rego to last the rest of my stay, then sold again for about the same price when I left, but then I would have been as slow as the other altezzas I saw (and passed ) at the circuit ...

Anyway, enough winging from me... mostly life here is pretty good here

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

still, your car is awesome.

are you going to load up on all the jap trinkets/goodies before you come back to australia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Veteran
    Name
    Yang
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

whats an altezza worth over there? 4k?

Name
    gay
    State
    n1gger land
    Country
    south korea seoul

while altezza may be cheap in japan, the hard part is bringing it to australia due to it not being on the allowed vechiles list.
    must own it as a personal car for a year before you can bring it to aus.
    lol at white people in japan. just lol.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Yeah you can get an altezza from 2k (probably no Shaken) or a very nice one for 15k
    And I'm in Japan for 18 months to 2 years so I can bring back anything really

Anyway I took some more pics.
    Also I had to go and get a Japanese license the other day because my international one ran out (it lasts for a year), anyway I have to wear a learners mark (like a P plate) now because my Aus license didn't have a date of issue. So even though I've been driving for about 12 years I'm back on my P's

Found this sticker amongst some random papers that I took over with me

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

looking good in those pics mate,

just had a read through this thread, looks like you have having stacks of fun.

what is your profession?

im an engineer and hoping to be posted in somewhere cool like japan, but i dont see it happening for a while

im heading over to japan on thursday actually (just random holiday, cheap flights woot!), but only for 14days or so. never been before but looks like an interesting place!
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Cheers Dave,

Nice work, you can sometimes get flights for 7~800 if you're lucky. Where are you planning on going to?

I'm also an engineer (mechanical job, mechatronics degree), there are plenty of opportunities to get posted in Japan working as an engineer.
    I was only out of uni about 2 years before I came here, so you don't have to have a lot of experience, however, it depends on your company and what skills you have etc I suppose
    What sort of area are you working in?

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Just seen some pics my car on this bloke's website, he's a mechanic near me that has done some work on the car and races his own ae86
    Its a bit of a random website, luckily he is much better with a spanner than he is with html : P

pics:

actually, this pic is pretty funny. My oil catch can filled up and started to overflow, everyone came to assess what was wrong with the car

Last edited by RobertoX; 27th June 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

very cool photo!

what kind of restrictions do you have on your learners as opposed to SA P's? ie drink driving, speed limiting etc. and are they defect crazy like in SA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdm-Mcc View Post
    quit hatin get bakin!

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hehe well i got my flights for $400 return!

jetstar had some 2 for 1 thing going, so 4 of us are going to see if we can get lost in the world of the japanese.

unsure if we will make it on jetstar....but its cheap

ive sent ya a PM, save filling up this thread with engineering chit-chat.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast