Thread: Radiator/cooling options for the AE86

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Radiator/cooling options for the AE86

I think it might be time for a new radiator. Had it with the 4AC, and now with the 4AGE it seems to get a bit warm every now and again. I think a flush will help it, as it did go through a bit of coolant which got replaced with water at the time (now there is coolant in the system). But I might need to upgrade along the way.

I'm not sure if it's the original radiator in the car, but let's assume it is. I know (from quick searching) that late 80s Camrys (read Parrots thread on Toymods) and ST165 (iirc) work well. What is easiest to install and run as a direct replacement? What are you guys running?
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    Leigh
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've got a camry one in there not sure what model it is from but it lines up ok and has twin thermos.
    The two probs were the battery had to be swung roung 45 degrees and the top hose didn't line up so I had an alloy connector made up seems to keep things cool even when it's a really hot day.
    I'm assuming the fact that the top and bottom hoses are on different sides helps the coolant has to go through the whole rad where as on the standard rad the pipes are both on the same side.

Leigh

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im just running a stocko ae71 radiator with my 4age. doesnt miss a beat. stits on 82 degrees no matter what i do to it. maybe like you say yours just needs a good clean.

no real need to upgrade as such if its not needed, its only 1.6L remember.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Stock AE71 Radiator is Copper Twin Core. No reasons to be having problem with that.

Driftspec, the first time I ever did a conversion to my first sprinter changing it from 4ac to 4age I had simular issues as yours. It ran a little over middle, most probably 3/4 and I wasn't very happy with that. I had my radiator roded recently (which is something you could have done to yours if it is still in ok condition) so I knew it was most likely not that. I replaced my water pump and thermostat and everything was great.

Have you replaced your water pump and thermostat since getting that motor. Maybe its something you should look into doing to make sure you know its 100%.

Other then that, depending on what situation you are in and how you like to do things I would just replace the radiator with a new one other then custom fitting. Stock radiators are fine for 4AGE and its neat.

Name
    Keating
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks guys.

The only reason I'll replace it is if this one is buggered. It runs fine normally, well below half. Just lately it's been getting warm after a quick drive down the highway. But like I said, I think it just needs a flush and to get coolant back through it.

At this stage, I'm getting it flushed and the rad pressure tested next week. Really hope it doesn't set me back too much.

Thanks for the tips Matt, my mechanic asked me that as well so I think he will look at that as well. Hopefully the flush does the trick.

Although more radiator replacement options would be nice for a reference point of view
    4AGE is here! Cheers 44GTE and Anthony for your help! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...ad.php?t=10384

AE86 Driving Club Official Rules -please read!

What am I doing right now? Twitter me!

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ebay.com

got mine from there...only issue is trying to find a fan that will suit it

check my build thread to see which one im talking about
    dose

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ST165 + zipties.

Name
    Chase
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i got a ae71 for my 86 but nothing lines up too scared to use zipties, can you get away with using zipties to hold the radiator?

Sherlock

I was kinda hoping you'd go for that one of Secret drift haha. Wanted you to be a guinea pig for it because I want one

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

st162 rad,
    it has good thermos
    just use the bottom mounts from the st162 and bolt them in you car then the top mounts on top. You will need new hoses but that easy enough

And for $50 why wouldnt you change to a alloy rad with twin thermos???

I put one in my mates car and its never got above 1/4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast