Thread: 4age idle problem

Bad Email Address

Default 4age idle problem

Gday guys,
    I wonder if any of you would know whats going on with my car.
    When i have the tube connected the engine's rpm fluctuates when idle.
    When i block the pipe (pink circle) the idle is fine, except when i turn the ac on it'll cut out or idle VERY low

This leads me to believe that the thing (plz tell me what it is) (red circle) has something to do with this.

Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the idle valve cos it idles fine when the pipe is blocked. Except if im sitting in traffic for ages
    its like the engine is gasping for air, and starts idling low again.

I suspect the problem is the thing (red circle) which is stuffing up and not allowing air to by-pass the butterfly valve when
    sitting in traffic/ having ac on.

Much grattitude will be given to whoever can help me. cheers guys.

one last thing, is the thing (yellow circle) a catch can of some sort?? or what is it? (hope the pic works)

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

the thing in the yellow circle is a car alarm

im not 100% familiar with smallport, but the red circle looks like its an idle up control for a/c. sounds like its playing up.

its supposed to allow the engine to idle up when a/c is on to prevent it from stalling.

there should be a seperate adjusting screw on the throttle butterfly to adjust base idle, this is the reason that it will still idle fine when the hose is blocked off

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

As said, the yellow circle is an alarm siren.

Firstly, the thing in the red circle is an idle-up vsv, it is controlled by the ECU and is opened to allow more air in when the demister or headlights are turned on.

The AC has its own idle up control valve which attaches on the very bottom most pipe off the throttle body which still points to the rear of the motor (there are 2 which point straight down, but these are water lines don't touch them).

It sounds like the AC idle vavle isn't functioning to compensate for when you turn it on. But the idle-up VSV may be malfunctioning too which is why you are having your idle problems.

As slide86 has said, try increasing your idle speed with the top vacuum hose blocked off (the one marked in red). But it still sounds like the AC idle up compensation vavle is not working correctly either.

Bad Email Address

cheers fellas,
    i'll look into it. Will try adjust the idle speed first, see what happens, and may stick my head in there to see where this vsv is and whats the prob.

Bad Email Address

If anyone else has knowledge to share, please do

Bad Email Address

ok, so i know that a lot of stuff has been fiddled with in ma engine bay...what i didn't know was that the ac hose behind the TB (which golberg was talking about) had been blocked off completely....so what i did, was plugged that into the ''vsv'' and VOILA! it works!
    i mean the ac works now without stalling the car! add to this, the idle is happy

Golberg, if you read this, why would the engine need more rpm for the headlamps/demister??? but anyway, im happy...cheers a bunch for ur wisdom, keep sharin it

out

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

do you know how hard the alternator has to work when you have those electrical components turned on?

the answer is ALOT. so much so, that without increasing the rpm, the alternator slows the engine rpm down due to the effort it takes to turn it.

Bad Email Address

i reckon!! i lose like 14kW which puts me on par wit a big port

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Slide86 has just explained it perfectly