Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Everyone turning to grip?

Name
    Mick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What about fwd? Are they any good for hillclimbs? I've got an old swift sedan i dont drive anymore, was thinking of making a hillclimb car out of it with a g13b and some GTi running gear. Not much but its a start.

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

dont forget there was an awd option in japan my mate owns one too, out of the box they arent terrible handling IMO, some stiffer sway bars would make it heaps better, surely there would be an aftermarket coilover kit for the swift gti too

Name
    Mick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeh ive looked into the awd option, there are a couple of awd sedans around, but parts are hard to find, and the gearboxes are worth 2k alone, but im still looking might be able to get some parts cheap.
    But yeh ive always wanted to do hillcimbs/offroad over drift, and the GTi has huge aftermarket support. I think it would be a good base to start with over a ke70/86
    Last edited by Mickey H; 11th January 2009 at 09:01 PM.

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

one of my mates did a gtir. went pretty well with bigger turbo and upped boost.

he put it on the track and it was only 2 seconds behind our mates above mentioned gtr

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Personally i'm sticking to drift as i am shit at grip, then again i am shit at drift but im still learning.
    R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Who turned to grip?
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Marchi
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

the drift scene is pretty shocking in aus. i love drift so thats y i do it. But theres alot more comps, support, track days if u do grip. So thats y i do both. I find drifting helps me grip and vice versa.

Oh and drift and grip were used long before NFS pro street. I remember using those terms when i talked to other people about motorsport when i had my STi which was like 2-3yrs before NFS PS

Name
    Trev
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

I know that but its been used alot more now since pro street was released, It was only brought to my attention when a member of another forum im on posted what i quoted.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Grip is what I prefer but Ill dabble in drift once in a while for kicks.

The problem with drift is there's not much you can do with it, compared to grip.

With grip there's always another class to move up to. With the way the DA series has gone theres no future in drift at this time, unless you are world class.

I dare say we need more grass roots drift events so people can grow up in the sport like they can in grip. Grip drivers often start on carts, move up to aussie racers and formula open wheelers, maybe a few v8 supercar races, then on to nascar, or F1 for example.

In drift you get good at it on the smaller local tracks, then you do a local or state series, then if you qualify your in DA. Which is 1 event now, not even worth building a car for one event, is it? Then say you win a DA title, you might get a trip to an OS location for some sort of world event. If you wanna compete week in week out there's no way drift can compete with grip.

What drift needs at this time is an entry level series with a formula for the cars to keep costs down and parity up. I think one place where it fails is that some backyard drifter with an old rig is up against a much more developed car and that's not really parity if you ask me. I wanna see a flock of kes going at it with similar setups to see who the real great drivers are. Wouldn't that be spectacular?

Thats my 2 cents anyhow.

i see what you mean. when i first got my 4ac ae86 all i wanted was to learn how to drift. eventually reality set in, and truth was i had to spend so much to get to be 'apt for drifting'. Also the fact that drift really f**ks up car parts and theres always a chance something might go wrong and you can end up ass raping your car onto a tree. I gave up on it, and just kept running mountain passes (downhill only) and mastering stuff like heel-toe, rev matching, blind cornering etc. I'm not saying that grip is any safer, you can still ass rape your car, but for me its more intuitive.

Eat. Sleep. ... Eat?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast