That's right... Jam the clock, just go nuts and have fun

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This is a fairly poor opinion tbh

You have to understand that drifting is a relatively new form of motorsport (compared to drag racing and circuit racing) and it's still trying to figure out what the main premise of competion Drifting should be, depending which competion you're looking at the judging criteria is vastly different. It's not as clearly definable as who has the fastest lap time or who finishes first in a field of 25 cars.

There is definable reasons that you lost, you weren't the better driver, you didn't perform to a crowd better or you car wasn't as good. Similar to a circuit or drag racing event.

But you are correct it's not a timed racing event... yet.

You wouldn't go to figure skating and wonder why they aren't doing sprint laps.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Drifting is the figure skating or syncronised swimming equivalent.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.. People who drive often know if they won the battle or not before the judges do.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

its something fun you do with your friends in the hills, currently not suited to competition in my opinion

plenty of other quantifiable motorsports allow you to get sideways often enough

without someone who has never broken traction sitting in a commentary box 'scoring' you or someone who has bias against you -
    it was well know in the SA rounds a particular FD rx7 was always progressing through to the round of 16 without possibly deserving it just to add some variety to the grid

i dont have a problem with matsuris or people who want to go to japan for a holiday to skid (even though we have good roads here) and fry tyres, i like all motoring from burnout comps to people at the royal show driving on two wheels to watching some youtube hero try and jump his car 10,000 metres but big dollar drift comps do nothing for me
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have to agree with Jacob on this one, there's heaps of sports with subjective judging and 95% of the time it's easy to pick a winner. There will always be arguments of bias as no one's infallible or emotionless and judging it based on set parameters like time, or angle or speed takes all the style out of it because at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

While I don't think it will ever become a recognised mainstream motorsport here in Aus, it will definitely be around for a long time to come. Not many other motorsports are as fun to watch, or as easy/cheap to start out with for anyone wanting to give it a go either.

Name
    Chris
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Hey Jacobxxx

I think saying my opinion is poor is going a little too far. My opinion is just that, my opinion and is thus neither good nor bad.

I'm no spring chicken. I've been around the game since the late 90's but it just hasn't caught my interest to a point of wanting to participate. That is really all I am saying. Even for the fun factor it doesn't really do anything for me. I enjoy watching it, there is a definite skill to drifting but I have watched many, many passes where I thought the losing driver should have gone through to the next round but didn't. This is the main downside to competitive drifting. You are putting your competition in the hands of judges and if they don't like your pass (whether it is technically correct or not) then you don't progress.

Drifting as a fun past time, all for it. If you want to burn up tyres, create smoke and generally have a good time then who can hold you back. Once again but it is just not for me. I am in no way having a go at people that love drifting. If you love it then go for it.

Personally I love driving my $10,000 Ae86 and out running something that is $50,000+ up a hill, out corning a Evo or WRX or just out running them in a straight line. Its what get my juices flowing.
    Run what ya brung...............and make damn sure ya brung enough!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6