Veteran
    Name
    David
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

likewise, no one in my family is "technically" minded

i did an apprenticeship, to be honest did not learn much. i think if you learn how to use your tools and you can read and have access to SOLID info you would be surprised at what you can achieve.

i'm sort of doing that now with house stuff

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i started out with a free sigma wagon and a workshop manual

Name
    Blake
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Read and read, then read some more, then just have a crack.

You can never know too much about a job that you are going to do, and once you think you know as much as you can, just try it. There will always be things that come up that you don't expect, and generally experience can get you around those things, but if you can't work it out, then you can ask questions to get you through.

Experience is the only thing that will really give you the confidence to tackle all sorts of different jobs, but reading manuals and other peoples thoughts will help get you the start that you need.

I say this from kind of having my dad show me some basics, like oil changes, and then just trying to work everything else out myself, and that is how I have done engine builds, and swaps and suspension and all sorts of other stuff

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Awesome topic I must say.

To be honest, my good friend Beerhead (Brad) sparked my interest in all things mechanical, and taught me a whole bunch of stuff about rollas.

I got into rollas because I had a bigger car and i wanted something sporty, light inexpensive and efficient that is rwd, and those options are very limited in Australia.

Rollas are the logical choice for me I guess. I wanted to play with a car I could potentially fix myself, as a learning aide for all things mechanical. I have a good technical aptitude being a tradie and I picked things up fast and here we are today.

I can safely say there is not one part in my car I haven't swapped, fixed, recod or serviced and it feels good to know what you're doing.

Ive also been studying the different principles of handling that apply to a rwd live axle car and that's a lot of fun too.

8ball

That explains a lot about this forum, but seriously i spent many a day pulling holleys apart and fixing them amongst other things, he taught me a great deal, i also did a lot of reading as well, but actually getting into it yourself teaches you shitloads, especially after you skin your knuckles a couple of dozen times a year. Maybe we could start a thread called skinned knuckles and share experiences?.

Scammer, DO NOT BUY FROM ME!

my dad always did the basic shit on our cars and i always helped him, from ten it was just heaps of reading and then having a good look at what im trying to acheive before i start. From then its just practice and research

Name
    Jarrod
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

my dad taught me how to spray paint, how to panel beat etc.
    most mechanical stuff i learnt from school
    1984 ae71 Panelvan - Sold
    2000 Lexus IS200 - Cruiser

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

rebuilt a few motorbikes around 8 years old and onwards, transferred what i knew across and added on top as i went. Have had knowledgeable people around me, worked a little bit in the industry. Talking to people, using my eyes at track days etc.
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

my dad is a suit, i am at uni studing to be a suit.

best way to learn is to do.... everything on a car is attached by a bolt, a screw or a clip..... find them and undo them and shit comes apart.

then just reverse to put back together. (its worked for me so far)

Name
    Dean
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

iv been mates with my brother inlaw for years and he has taught me alot...

He grew up pulling apart sigmas and mokes and just figured it all out.

He owns his own car enhancement shop nw and does things like details, stereos, bodykits etc.

He has a hoist now too which is winner and makes heaps out of parting out cars and buying cheap cars making them rwc and selling them....

i learn the most from breaking shit and having to fix it.
    ex-SR20 Stanza and now MX83 Cressida Driver

John 1:12

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast