Thread: Who taught you?

Name
    Matthew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Who taught you?

I'm pretty determined to be able to do alot if not all of my own work (car) but being in no position to carry it out by myself at the moment (no space and limited tools, limited time and lack of knowledge) I'd like to hear from others and how they got to being able to carry out any sort of work on their cars.

Whether you're a professional spray painter/panel beater/mechanic/auto electrician/fabricator etc. etc or not, I'm wanting to know who taught you or how you learned.

Cheers.

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

no better way to learn than giving it a go.

buy a manual for you car.

Start by changing brake pads, or if your not up to that stage start by taking off your wheels and putting them back on again.

once you learn how to swing a wrench and a spanner your set.

another good way is to go and visit your local pick-a-part wrecker, just dont drop a car on your leg while your doin it.

ive just learnt by doin exactly that, started off by doin small jobs with dad and my mates, and after reading more and more you get an idea on how things work.

there is nothing more important than getting a manual for your car, dont listen to internet forums in regards to technical knowledge, they are a good reference to check but the manual is always right.

btw what kind of work are you talking about?

oh yer good tools are good but not completely necessary, go buy a decent socket set (sidchrome 100$ job will be awesome) then just go crappy spanners and screwdrivers from supercheap, they will get you by (maybe one decent phillips head...). thats all i use and ive done almost every "job" on a car and been fine.

oh yer im in my final year of mechanical engineering at uni, so ive kinda always liked mechanical things so that makes it easier.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Majority of the stuff I know I was taught by my dad, helps having a home mechanical bussiness lol.
    But yeh like ke70dave said your best bet is actually having a go getting your hands dirty and learn as you go.

Klutch

i haven't really done all that much
    but what i have done is it was just all from researching it on the net and learning as much as possible then having a go

best way to learn is just getting in there and doing it, you might surprise yourself

Name
    stefan
    State
    vic
    Country
    australia

im the sort of person that will jump into the deep end and give virtually anything a crack if i have a rough idea on what needs to be done (even such as reading on the net). ive done a gear box, couple of diffs, screwed around making tvis work and the wiring associated with it. working on an 86/70 especially it isnt all that difficult to pull bits out etc. the diff would weigh 40 odd kg where as a live axle commodore diff is roughly 80kg and the gear box being roughly double what an 86 g/box weighs.

Name
    Matthew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I've got my hands on a Gregory's manual and I read it quite a bit and then go have a geeze at the car.

I'm not completely useless. I've had bikes (moto's) all my life and am pretty mechanically minded. I can carry out basic shit like services. It's the fabrication and engine modification side of things I want to get a handle on.

As for tools, I've got a Sidchrome ratchet set, some sidchrome spanners and large ratchet aswell as some old shitters and screw drivers.

I'm thinking some sort of welding or spray workshop would do some good.

Name
    Travis
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My dads a mechanic. So i pretty much grew up around cars. Learnt alot from him. Then research a specific job, or just jump in and see how it turns out.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

My uncle taught me how to drive like a maniac.

Love him for it!
    I'd rather have an '86 than a girlfriend.

Name
    Mick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I got my knowledge from my job (light vehicle mechanic). Before I started my job I did alot of my own work, mostly through trial and error, and using workshop manuals. It's pretty easy to learn the basics, and there are great resources (like this website) if you get stuck.

Name
    Jonathan
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

My Dad taught me nothing. Sometimes this is better, because what you learn yourself you know better.

Young guys whos father is a good mechanic/racer etc just end up talking shit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast