Thread: Javal's Mechanical Spirit Guide / 18RG XT130 Hate Machine

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

do the hillclimb josh
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Minor updates. Entered in the come and try hillclimb at the end of september. Still have to buy a helmet and extinguisher. Have been taking the car out regularly driving the hills and heading to social events.

Some photographers like filters.

Some photographers do not.

However all the driving started to reveal a problem. Fan belt started slipping at high RPM but the belt was tensioned correctly. Hmm. Tighten it up, no improvement. So I ignored it for a little while, figured i'd put a new belt on it and see what happened. But over the next few drives that high rpm belt slip started coming down lower and lower in the rev range. 4000, 3000... something was seizing up.

This begins my usual four steps back but five steps forward as a simple repair snowballs out of control like normal, my wallet crying the whole time.

So I decided to do a little investigation. Water pump and alternator spin fine and their bearings aren't making any noise. The belt isn't contaminated, but as soon as you hit 3000RPM it starts screaming like an infant on a plane. Then I noticed the fan was pushing an extremely large amount of air once you got a few revs on board. Ah. That'd be it. Fan clutch was locking up, or rather not slipping like it should.

Sick. Order a new fan clutch from a shop across town. Managed to get a brand new American made jobbie to suit RA28 / RA40 the next day. Got to work on it that night, I found the fan clutch had seized on to the snout of the water pump. Had to hammer and pry way more than I would have liked to and in doing so destroyed the water pump bearing. Went out the next day for a new water pump. Got the fan and water pump off. Found the new fan clutch is wrong and won't fit - that American-ness means while it's listed to suit RA28 and RA40, in the USA those had 20R / 21Rs. The shop who sourced the fan clutch hit the books trying to find me one that fits, but unfortunately it was not to be. R motors are getting old.

Back to the internet then. I was hesitant to pick up an ebay special as there's nothing quite like paying too much for a no-brand chinese made part that takes a week to arrive before finding out it doesn't fit. Or paying too little and having it hand grenade. However, gumtree came through with this absolute gem:

Nothing like New Old Stock. Top to tail, complete genuine water pump to suit 18R RA40 / RT104 / RT132. That'll do perfectly. Got it for a steal too.

Swapped the new pump, pulley and clutch on to the old pump housing (as these are different between 18R and 18R-G), put it all back together then filled and bled it up. Took it for a drive to get it up to temperature and had a profound realization: The fan clutch had been fucked from day one.

Let me tell you all something. I'm not going to say I was totally disappointed with how my 18RGEU performed when I first drove my car but I certainly was a little bit. When people came for a drive and their comments were usually along the lines of 'is that all?' and 'i expected it to go a bit harder than that', it leaves you thinking those same things. Were the 18RGs I drove years ago this slow? Did I just think they were quick because I was young and had so much fun driving cars with them? Did I just think they were powerful because I wanted them to be? Do I have my head in the sand? Does an SR20 really pull a premium a week before race wars?

I mean the thing felt like it was slow to rev any higher than 5500RPM, but down low it had plenty of grunt. I couldn't understand how other 18RG owners were saying shit like 'oh yeah, I used to rev mine out to 7k every day' when it was so taxing to do so. I convinced myself of a lot of things. "It's all about the torque with these EFI ones", "the late model cams are holding it back" etc. Very rarely though, it'd go like a firecracker and when it did, it was glorious.

So as it turns out, the fan clutch has always been an issue. This would explain why i've had intermittent struggles with belt slip since I pieced it together. The perceived lack of power, the unwillingness to reach the higher end of it's rev range - overall, the engines failure to live up to the expectations I had for it were the result.

Fuck it goes like stink now. Pulls eagerly to 7000RPM. I'd say there's about 15% more power, especially at the top.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'm spending the night driving the crap out of this car.

Also Lawson i'm going to be needing a chin spoiler to rectify this situation.

You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Can do pm me RE: lip

(and yes, I do read the text (incl your tyre wallzz) and not just look at the pics)

glad to hear it has some more ponies - timely for the hillclimb *slight pun intended
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Fan really made that much difference?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Absolutely. I mean there's been a little bit of super corona tuning going on but the fan was the main contributor.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hello.

I'm overdue for an update on this thread. Have been driving and tinkering. A few tuning tweaks to help it idle a bit smoother and a couple of maintenance items.

Big things I did - Got full Victorian rego with acknowledgement of my SA engineering cert and exemptions. Got a chin spoiler. Took it to Classic Japan. Drove it a lot.

Dorky a/f

I'll get that boot to sit right eventually.

Thanks to the photographers on the day.

On the immediate to-do list is a little bit of fuel system work, which has to wait until I move house over the holiday break.

Early next year i'm going to be addressing a few things which have been bugging the crap out of me, namely taking the gearbox out to rectify a clutch issue and a few more suspension tweaks. Plenty planned across the rest of next year, i'll try to take it out to the track a few times, plus i'm bringing my spare motor over to Vic with the intention of sinking some time and money into it.

Maybe i'll buy Hayashis. One day.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Awwww yes! Just read this whole page. Must be loving the extra grunt, Ying and the Yang and all that.

Edit: love the write up as usual.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Digging your work mate - love the look of it on chunky tyres too, so cool!

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

fuck yes josh, lip looks better than I thought

any mods?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Oh also, I forgot to mention I actually did that Come 'n try hillclimb in October(?)

Plenty of fun, very short course but carrying your speed properly could be a bit tricky. Because it was a come and try, I had an instructor with me for the first run (as seen in the pictures). That first run was very tame while getting the layout of the course, second one was a hot mess, bogged down off the line, held 2nd up the straight after the 1st turn and tried to click third up the hill and made very slow progress. 3rd and 4th run were progressively quicker, clicking 3rd and using the downhill to carry as much speed as possible, cringe and hit the dip hard then rely on the tractor motor torque to keep building speed up the hill.

Sequence shots courtesy of Stahlz86

Great fun. I need to do it again. Longer track pref. Met a lot of good people and had a ball.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast