Thread: Possible Ecu options (Non-Standalone)

Name
    Ayden
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Possible Ecu options (Non-Standalone)

Hey guys

Just wanted to know if there are any other choices of Ecus that would allow to control both the fuel mapping, ignition and possible other sorts of tuning. Mainly thinking about rom type daughterboards as they are relatively cheap but allow you to control a fair few options but also realtime options as the technology is getting cheaper, not so much just a SAFC. Of course a standalone unit enables complete tuning but if you were using a mildly worked motor and wanted to maximise the potential.

Might be silly but just wanted to see what other options are if any as everyone normally just goes to a standalone or power fc if you can find it. Basically what a Hondata is or Bikirom and Nistune for Nissans

Name
    Matt
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Unforutunetly with Rom daughter boards you don't have many options in Austraila. You could simply find a Rom daughter board from japan with a set tune for specifics like 264/265/0.8/ +/- 4throttle.

The main problem with using these are the following
    1. Fuel
    2. Climate/Pressure etc

You would then need to readjust it with something like an SAFC. Really this is just a cheap bandaid and may end up costing you the same for something like an Adaptronic/EMS Stinger etc.

Plug and play options that I know of are

FCon (Apparently there isn't many people that tune these)
    Power FC AP Engineering Edition(These are only available Second hand now)
    Razorback (Contact Foxtail/Sam )

This is only a little bit of advice, im sure others have things to add.

Name
    Ayden
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

yeah i really dont see why there isnt any type of daughterboard option in Aus for the 4ag as its pretty damn popular! and they also allow you to slowly tuning it yourself as the programs are either free or cheap. The power fc is too expensive i think considering its nearing the price of a standalone, with the Fcon i think more tuners are figuring it out as a few skylines and others are using them.

may look into a razorback one though looks similar to what i'm looking after just a quick look at the site.

thanks mate

if your looking for something similar to what the honda's have like chrome, open ecu, and other like programs sorry but your sol. toyota e-proms are like a 64 pin chip or some bs liek that while the others that you can flash and burn are to the likes of 25pin rom ecu's.

easy way out..

Buy a megasquirt. they are 400 built. you make your own harness and the forums and boards will help you sort out the kinks. I myself build program and tune ms units here in south fl, usa. honestly we've seen numerous gains all accross the band on stock motors using these units. so if you want all that control your gonna have to buck up and save the cash for it.

otherwise for 350 plus 65 for the fuel harness and 50 for the injection harness you can purchase a greddy emanage ultimate which will work untill the stock toyota ecu figures out what's going on and fkes you and retreats to stock tune.

and if you were to go pro ecu i'd choose the haltech e6x or e11v2 over any unit out there today

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

im not an expert but theres a few pretty good reason why we dont have those options in australia.

-aus is small. not a big market.
    -the toyota ecu is renowned for being quite dificult to hack
    -lots of our cars have engine conversions, although there are a decent number of 4age powered cars. there are lots of variations in the set up
    -we have a HUGE range of really good, and well priced standalone set ups.

well i am an expert, and what I'm trying to put across is that. the pain in the a## Toyota ecus are not limited to Aussie. it's all around the world. from Japan to the Us, to Europe. I've seen people work greddy emanage's on them so that's the best bet that would control some ignition timing seeing as if that's what your looking for. but for the same price you can do a megasquirt where you control all the parameters, plus, you have anti-lag, launch control, on board data logging with a wideband, plus there are numerous programs being written everyday with new features and larger tune maps... a simple ms1 used i picked up for 250 usd. you should be able to hop on one of those cheap. we do a plug and play harness plus can supply a very good base map to get you to and fro and within about an hours tune you can have your peak hp figures set.

Slydar knows what's up..

but the Aussie market is well.... large.. most of the hardcore builders and fastest drag, rally and road race vehicles have components from an Aussie company. I myself am looking at a set of Cat cams for my 20v high comp setups for my clients here plus they buy in bulk as in 5-10 sets at a time for any given race spec motors/, and within the Caribbean sea, Barbados, Jamaica, Aruba myself, Curacao, Trinidad, and south america. the worlds fastest evo's and dsm's use gear kits from an Aussie company as well. plus the worlds best stand alone in my opinion is the haltech which is also Aussie. Australia kicks a##! i like it, and hope to one day spend a few good months playing over there.

kudos on your hunt.. if i find anything then i'll be sure to link you.. just give that megasquirt some thought.

Name
    Jeff
    State
    Nsw/Sydney
    Country
    Australia

sorry to forum jack .... has anyone tried Jaycar Digital Fuel Adjuster for their 20V?? What I heard that it works similar to SAFC and also works on both AFM & MAP.

Name
    Ayden
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think that for ecu type modifying there is quite a large market in australia as a fair few types have been developed here and are being used around the world not of course for toyotas though.

but yeah i have heard that the ecu can be quite annoying and many people just end up using a standalone but also a lot of the joy of having a daughter board system is that it is possible and sometimes qutie easy and enjoyable to learn to slowly tune your own ecu through just a normal laptop and normally freeware or cheap software which is much more difficult to do on a standalone.

are the many people in australia using a megasquirt? any known tuners?

thanks for the help guys few good answers making me want to go against what a lot of people do and just get a standalone even though they are the more superior option!