Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: ill-minded's RA65

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks, I'm a big fan and the coating should be plenty durable am enough

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No worries. There should be places down your way that do zinc plating, so probably easiest to just Google it.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Okay, so the engine parts went into the machine shop a few weeks back. Got the bores and crank journals measured so I could order the pistons and bearings in. Went with a 0.5mm overbore on the cylinders and all the crank journals came in within standard spec, so a full set of standard bearings as well. I should get it back on Monday or Tuesday next week, so I'll get started on the assembly when I get it all back home.

Not too much else going on other than replacing the low pressure power steering hoses and getting some stuff together for assembling the motor. Still waiting on those rack bushes, but the guy I'm dealing with is away on leave until the 30th, so I won't find out about those until next week.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Matsuri appearance is out. Got the motor back this morning, so I don't think I'll have enough time to get the engine back together and back in the car. I guess it's possible, but I'd rather take my time and know that I've done it right than rush it and bugger something up and waste more money and the last 5 months. I also won't get my rack bushes until the 15th, so I can't even put the motor in until after then.

I started to get some stuff sorted today though. Pressure washed the valve cover and intake manifold to clear out all the residue from bead blasting and prep for painting. I trimmed all the casting dags off around the lip of the valve cover as well, so it doesn't look all jaggy under the paint. I haven't gotten as far as getting paint on the manifold, but I did get the valve cover sorted at least.

Bam! It'll get the usual treatment with the lettering sanded back to bare alloy.

I did a little bit of work on the head as well. It came partially assembled from the shop, so all the valves, springs and retainers were already installed. I dropped my new cam in and spent half an hour re-assembling the rocker towers, shafts and arms, which pretty much completes the head, other than bolting a couple of block off plates on later.

I'll start cleaning up the block tomorrow to get it ready for paint. Then the assembly can commence. Only thing I've got to do is file the top rings a little, as the pistons I'm using recommend a slightly larger end gap than factory specs.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I got the block cleaned up and painted today, so I can probably drop the crank in tomorrow and gap the rings. I've run into a snag with the piston pin clips, as they use the spiral type ones, which I discovered earlier today are a real c**t to install. I'll probably end up seeing if the guy at the shop can do it for me, cause I don't want to fuck the pistons trying to do it myself. I can't use the old wire type either, as they're a bit wider and foul on the pin itself, so they don't quite sit in the groove properly. Bugger.

Other than that, smooth sailing thus far.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Had some delays in the assembly, but it's mostly together now.

Name
    Lachlan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That looks ridiculous!!! Top effort man
    Cut the springs. Lock the diff. Do the dori.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'd be more stoked if it went as well as it looked, haha. It's still a pretty mild 22R at the end of the day, but at least it should be reliable.

Name
    Ian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Engine is done. Just waiting on rack bushes from Superpro and the re-assembly begins. Whoo!

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Man that looks so nice even for a 22R!
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast